Isaac
Years ago

Worst basketball injuries -- we have a winner

ABC is reporting about a 10 year-old in Perth who has the basketball injury to top those in the recent Hoops SA thread.

A 10-year-old boy in Perth is expected to make a full recovery after a freak accident overnight in which his hands and one of his feet were severed.

It is understood he was swinging from the basketball hoop when the structure collapsed.

Guttering the garage it was attached to acted as a guillotine, severing his hands and left foot.

Ouch!

Topic #2412 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Do you have the URL?

Reply #26955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch... was just on the news.

Reply #26957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"theres been plans to ban the slam dunk man maneuver in the past"...

That's just stupid... try banning the stupid gutter mounted basketball rings.

Reply #26958 | Report this post

I resisted posting in this original thread but since it has been opened again.....

I know of someone who was playing on an outside court on one of the chain nets.

They went for a dunk and came down spurting blood. One of the links from the chain net was open and got hooked on his nose while he jumped to dunk it (yes... he can jump).

When he landed the hook had ripped through his nose leaving it dangling from his face. Not pretty.... Many hours of micro surgery later and you can barely tell it ever happened.

Reply #26963 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

The way public liability insurance is going it would not surprise me if some one tried to introduce a ban on slam-dunking. Victorian cricket association have acted upon advice from insurer to ban the hitting of sixes to limit the cost of public liability insurance for teams and players playing in all competitions in Victoria (and will come in all over Australia with in 12 months)

Reply #26965 | Report this post

your kidding  
Years ago

i doubt that will happen

Reply #26978 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Article in the Advertiser today saying that surgeons succesfully reattached the guys foot and his hands

Reply #27017 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A few years ago there was a report of a person being killed whilst slam dunking. The hoop was attached to a brick wall and the whole wall came tumbling down crushing him to death. There's nothing wrong with slam dunking, the problem is the quality of construction of some buildings.

Reply #27023 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

also hanging on when they are attached with cheap screws or mounts. Imagine being the first to find the boy!

Reply #27040 | Report this post

Forbes 500

Was that a joke ? No 6's in Cricket? Surely not ? ...

Reply #27111 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12691528%255E1702,00.html

Reply #27153 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with slam dunking it's the idiots that actually pull on the ring and hang off it afterwards. I've seen the glass backboards break from boys doing this, why do you think hanging off the ring is now a tech foul?

Reply #27165 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What a terrible injury? Listened to a 15-minute discussion on it this arvo with medical experts on ABC radio. Eeeek. They expect trouble in 18-24 months in terms of mobility in the limbs, and all will be shorter due to rounding of the bones. [Insert spew here!]

Agree with the dunking comments above, and stupid construction. A professional construction won't have any problems. Heck, my Dad's ring on our shed stood up to years of pounding! Funny that local schools in Adelaide have removed their rings after hours now - and 10 years ago, I was told they did it for this exact reason.

Reply #27178 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

The kid has suffered a set back .. OUCH !!

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12750066%255E1702,00.html

Reply #27955 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Kidding about banning of hitting a 6, absolutely not, the amateur Victorian Cricket association has banned the hitting of sixers to decrease the public liability insurance policy needed to cover players. If a player hit a six and breaks a car window or a window in someone's house, the club is liable, if a member of the public was to be hit or injured they could sue the club or player resulting in a huge law suit that could potentially bankrupt a club or association. This rule has not been accepted by the ACB for Pura cup competition or grade cricket competitions but is the Amateur Victorian Cricket Association implementing a very contentious rule has created some angst.

Reply #27988 | Report this post

revvo66  
Years ago

yeh it was me haha but i'm fine now channel 7 needed an article and so, well you've been fooled hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Reply #43256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How's your foot?

Reply #43257 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

In my best Richie voice ..... Isaac, everyone says it's a foot but on closer inspection, it's closer to 8 or 9 inches.

Reply #43264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754