Isaac
Years ago

Ervin wins Player of the Week

Ervin, then Wortho, Braswell and Martin.

And the mega-list of runner-ups:

Others who were in the running for Player of the Week included Shawn Redhage (Perth), Alex Loughton (Cairns), CJ Bruton (New Zealand), Ian Crosswhite (Cairns), Anthony Petrie (Gold Coast), Thomas Abercrombie (New Zealand), Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne), Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), Ayinde Ubaka (Cairns), Chris Goulding (Gold Coast) and Luke Schenscher (Townsville).

Topic #24157 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I'm not going to take anything away from Ervin, but what about Damien Martin - not even an honourable mention??? That is a bad omission as he was near flawless against the Tigers.

Reply #294011 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

yeah... but it was against the tigers

Reply #294016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BURRNNNNNNNNNNN!! lol

Reply #294018 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

LC, in Isaac's original post he was one of the top 4

Reply #294023 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

I agreed with you, LC re: Martin, until it was expertly pointed out to me, that martin played 2 games this week, the first was no way near as good as the one vs Melbourne.

I only watched the Melb game, and thought he was the weekly standout on that performance, but i forgot he played two games...

Ervin deserves it on that basis, as well as the fact that he won the game with his FT.

Reply #294028 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

definately good player of the week! Anyone that can get away with such a huge travel deserves it. In all honesty though he did earn it

Reply #294034 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Terrible call IMO. Martin's first game wasn't bad at all and his 2nd was far better than Ervin's.

Reply #294037 | Report this post

lakerized  
Years ago

Sick of how the NBL mention sooooo many players as honourable mention! say top 4, if you must. Ervin was a landslide decision surely!

Reply #294038 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ervin: 25pts, 1rb, 3ast, 3TO, 10/21FG, 5/10FT

Martin:
11pts, 3rb, 5ast, 1blk, 2stl, 0TO, 5/8FG
21pts, 10rbs, 3ast, 4stl, 3blk, 2TO, 9/15FG
Average: 16pts, 6.5rbs, 4ast, 3stl, 2blk, 1TO at 61%

Martin ftw.

Reply #294040 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Oops...(tail between legs)...

Reply #294042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Martin was up against a weak team with a weak backcourt. And it was a blow-out. Ervin carried his team back to beat a solid opponent.

Reply #294047 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Put Ervin in Martin's place in that Perth team and it wouldn't have been a blowout. Ervin is incapable of the defensive pressure of Martin that made Melbourne's backcourt look so weak.

Reply #294048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We'll agree to disagree then. I'll endorse the NBL's award this week and you can buy Martin an electric toothbrush and post it to him.

Reply #294049 | Report this post

Ervin only played at one end of the court. His D against the Crocs was very poor. Looked to me that Gordie was very frustrated at times with him. Didn't look to get others involved at times IMO. Yes he made a couple of big plays down the stretch but his last second heroics were more about some brain farts from the Crocs than MVP type taking over the game. I asked this same question on Ozhoops. If Freeman scores at the other end or Ervin is not fouled on that last play or missed his free throw resulting in a loss would he have even got a mention ahead of Martin, Wortho, Brasswell, Redhage, Crosswhite etc. I think not because he did not have that good a game.

Reply #294050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin was strong in both games, and incredible in the second. I would have him as the winner ahead of Worthington and Ervin.

Reply #294052 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol is that the prize Isaac?

Agree with snakepi's comments. You have to give him credit for the clutch FTs but if Freeman didn't foul him, Ervin's game wouldn't have been close. Still wasn't IMO.

Reply #294058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So punish Ervin because Freeman fouled him? That's like saying Martin wouldn't have put up the numbers he did if playing against a team that's not crap, look at what he put up against the Breakers for instance?

Ervin, ftw.

Reply #294059 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

X - You missed a vital stat which does weigh in a bit.

Ervin - 1 win. Martin - 1 win, 1 loss.

I would go with Ervin, but do find it strange that Martin didn't get a mention.

Reply #294074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, Martin got a solid mention in the write-up but I just left that out because I was in a rush and just summarised the winner and top challengers. And included the Honourable Mentions because they've almost become a running joke now to see who didn't get a spot!

Reply #294077 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ahhh, my mistake.

I'm hoping one day I might even see my name in the honorable mentions. :-)

Reply #294080 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Winner : Gary Ervin
Honourable mention: Rest of League

Reply #294170 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ervin's game was solid with an outstanding last quarter, Martin was very good against the Breakers and then dominant against Melbourne from the first whistle to the last. Damo for mine.

Reply #294179 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

Perhaps the award should be "Performance of the Week" - give it for the best game.

There's only ever one or two teams that play multiple games in a week / round.

Reply #294181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754