Bearcat
Years ago

Player insurance

After much speculation, it seems that BASA are to "drop" all player insurance from end of month.
Does this mean that if you are injured on April 1st, they say 'April Fool' and sorry. Advice is that each player can pick up personal insurance for $80 to $100 per year.
Still waiting for email or letter advising of cheaper court fees or team and playerv registration.
Does the poor parent of a junior get slugged in the pocket yet again?
How many players registered with BASA? How much insurance is paid out now? 7000(?) @ $40(?) saving =$280000- Could sign up some 36ers?

Topic #2417 | Report this topic

mum  
Years ago

In my experience the insurance was not worth the paper it was written on any way

Reply #27052 | Report this post

gone too far !!  
Years ago

I have seen a lot of injuries that have been player/coach/official/spectator/stadium/BASA/club/random act of god .. CAUSED... Insurance is not worth squat in Amateur leagues!!

you take your own life in own hands walking out the front door these days .. dont expect an insurance company to cover you playing b.ball .

I just hope we dont get to the stage where you can sue that "little old lady " at Hillcrest for selling you red frogs during ABA games which led you to getting fat ... which led to health problems ... that ruined your life !! Judgement plaintiff!

Reply #27117 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Can say that i once had to claim on insurance through BASA for an injury and all the bills were covered by the policy.

Reply #27121 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Likewise Kent, was still a junior who was working at the time, had my jaw broken in two places from an unlucky accident in the game. Had to have two pins inserted into my jaw and was unable to work for a few weeks. If it wasn't for the standard insurance which BASA had (although a major headache dealing with them) then I would've been out of pocket quite a bit and wouldn't have been able to afford it.
As someone who is now currently working and playing at ABA level I could understand if players at our level were forced to get personal insurance but not juniors. A lot of kids would fall under their parents private cover but what about those parents who can't afford it???

Reply #27123 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Mmmm. As an Executive Member (Vice-President) of a non-ABL basketball Association, we have our own insurance cover and wouldn't be caught dead without it. Very interesting post here. If anyone knows any more, please post it. Would love to know the reason behind it and I hope and pray it isn't just about money.

Reply #27175 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754