phil
Years ago

best social comp mon nights

hey guys, im going to go out and play social bball again. just getting the players together and trying to find a competition. i used to play at parafield gardens and that was a pretty decent competition but we want something more local to us as we all live in the city.

are wayville and mars the only options?? from my last conversations with them a while back it seemed very hard to get a team in there. does anyone know when their new seasons starts? ill probably get in contact with them again but they made it pretty clear last time that i cant count on getting a team in. if we have to we will travel further out, any suggestions??

i always thought about trying out for a district team but dont really think im good enough, how tough are the lower divisions??

Topic #24191 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I can answer for Mondays with this - practically everywhere is full. Is acknowledged by officialdom as the fullest night on record and very tough to get a team in anywhere.

Reply #294649 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, Pasadena is packed on Monday's this season too. First time its been like that since I started playing there again at the start of last year though.

If you get your team lodged with the stadium before next season, I'd say there is a chance there'll be a spot though. There are several teams that seem to be hanging on by a thread at times. (We only just started our current season - so I'd say you'd have to wait until Feb/March for the new season).

Reply #294669 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

If you can find a church organisation who is involved, I highly recommend the Salvos' comp on Monday nights at the Dome. Easily the best (i.e. most consistent) refereeing of any social-type competition I've experienced in years, and there's A, B and C grades for men.

Unfortunately there is only limited info online that I can find about it - e.g. here or here.

Reply #294677 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hereschenes, I played in that comp before I moved to Pasadena and thought the refereeing was good too. They didn't allow players to reach in all the time and it was a much cleaner, less physical game.

Last I heard, they only had enough teams for one league on Mondays though and some of the guys on my team seem to think that their A grade is/ was pretty good (ie, too many good athletes for our old legs).

Phil, if your team has a couple of decent players and you aren't all over the hill, might be worth trying the Salvos comp.

Reply #294682 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Currently what they do is merge the A and B leagues together for the regular season. There's 4 A teams and 9 B teams at the moment, but the B teams play A teams far less-frequently than they do other B teams. That's my understanding of how it's supposed to work anyway. Then for the finals, the top-four ranked A/B teams play in the A finals, and then the lower-ranked A/B teams play in the B finals. The A teams are generally pretty good for sure; I'd say the better ones are roughly equivalent to an average div 4/5 district team.

There's also a C league that has 9 teams in it - I've not played in it, but from what I've watched it wouldn't be too overwhelming for beginner/casual players if that's a concern for the OP.

Reply #294696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754