Concerned
Years ago

Where have all the Friday night referees gone?

My son received an email yesterday stating that BSA were down to 38 referees this Friday Night. It also stated that they need about 65 to get the job done.

Has it ever been this bad before?

Why are we struggling for numbers?

My son enjoys refereeing and despite the comments from the sideline his biggest issues are with the lack of notice regarding where he will be week to week and also the attitude of some BSA staff.

But he goes out week in week out and referees 3 nights a week. I know there are a lot more than 38 referees in Adelaide so I wonder if they are staying away for a reason or if its just a bad week?

Anyone got any ideas? I tried contacting BSA for more information but haven't got a reply yet.

Topic #24212 | Report this topic

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Ummm they are sick of being messed around,sick of being sent where they have requested NOT to be rostered, sick of doing 4 games straight, sick of the abuse from the sidelines, sick of the lack of support...........that enough to start?

Reply #294930 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I am not a big fan of centralised referee rosters.

Back in the day we use to referee at our local stadium or a stadium in which you felt supported by the umpire in charge. You found each stadium had its core group of referees and this created a great team atmosphere.

I would even suggest that stadiums competed against each other to develop good referees and retain them.

If you were a player and moved around, then you could be centralised and each week you would referee at the stadium you played.

Reply #294933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, I dont think thats it..Friday night's are just a busy night...

Reply #294935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet that even though BSA will noly supply 1 ref, they will still charge full price at the door, even though the door goes to paying 2 refs and not just 1.

Why would BSA want more refs when they make more money when they only have 1 ref per game?

Reply #294936 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

#936 BSA would make even more money if they didn't supply any refs, because then each team is obliged to supply a ref. No refs, double forfeit, double forfeit fine.

Reply #294942 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

if you keep getting treated witgh lack of respect it eventually filters wider and situation dev - Responsibility is BSA to,look at whole program.
value the product value grass roots
phaswes phases phases

Reply #294947 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Move some of the div 2s back to Saturday so that it eases the load.

Reply #294962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have found the level of umpiring this season to be very good, there was a huge us against them feeling last season, but the refs have been great, keep it up.

they are probably sick of driving all over the place, refs should be allowed to pick a stadium and umpire there

Reply #294972 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

My sons used toreferee but coming home every Friday night and telling me about way coaches abuse my sons,so i have advised my sons to gain pocket money at Maccas or Hungry Jacks,not through refereeing.My sons have told their friends to take up other pocket money options than refereeing.

Reply #294974 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

Exams are having an impact

Reply #294978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you have kids refereeing ABA instead of juniors where they belong then is it any surprise we have a problem on Friday nights. Too many young referees get massive egos because they're pushed up so quickly. Not only do they think their too good for juniors but then others quit because they don't get the same treatment.

Reply #294982 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I think you'll find, Anonymous that the current shortage is not being caused by young refs doing ABA... I think that's over. In any case it's these young referees who are normally keen to use Friday nights to further enhance their game even during the ABA season. I think the suggestion that many are currently involved in exams might be closer to the mark.

Reply #294999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right it's not the issue. The major issue as the original poster pointed out is the BSA staff. Actually just one of them. But all of the other things mentioned in this thread are factors, including the unfair promotion of certain young referees.

Reply #295001 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

So when it gets hard at Maccas will you tell him to go find another job?

Reply #295060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you ever seen 14 year old trainees at maccas get yelled at for 3 hours straight? Any parent would struggle to see their child treated the way adults treat young referees in this sport.

Reply #295087 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754