Isaac
Years ago

36ers top in DRB, FT%, AST; bottom in FG%

Probably not much consolation when the 1-2 record could've realistically been 3-0, but the NBL's By The Numbers mail out for this round says that Adelaide averages a league-best 27 defensive rebounds per game.

Bizarrely, the mega-Tigers are the league's worst team on the offensive glass, with 6/game.

The 36ers lead the league in assists (21/game) and foul shooting percentage (74%) and are careful with the ball (league-least 10 turnovers/game).

However, they give up 83 points/game (third highest in the league), shoot at a league low of 41% from the field and trail only the Blaze in poor three-point shooting with 24%.

Room for improvement in that area, for sure.

Topic #24216 | Report this topic

Big_Marty  
Years ago

Not really a case of "the team can't hit them". More of a case of "they pick the wrong times to shoot".

I'm fairly sure the only person I've seen in the NBL who hasn't been bollocked by commentators or coaches for taking fast break 3-pointers, was Brett Maher.

Carter needs to slow things down and use more clock rather than coasting and taking a 3pt shot. Ng just needs to get more vertical leap or do some more upper arm strength to fix his problem.

Balls just needs more shots outside the arc.

Reply #294980 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

those are quite promising figures really. The part that we suck at though is meant to be a strength according to marty. So if we fix that and get out of this small rut we should be back on track

Reply #294983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're second to bottom on the ladder, as expected.

Reply #294985 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting to lead assists while shooting poorly?

Reply #294986 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Are we the leading DR team 'cos we are letting our opponents put up too many shots?

Reply #294988 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Ng just needs to get more vertical leap or do some more upper arm strength to fix his problem."

I was thinking the opposite. He put on a fair bit of muscle in the pre-season and although the facebook page reported him being in brilliant shooting form in the preseason, it obviously hasn't continued.

Interesting stats.

Reply #295000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strength has nothing to do with it. Women shoot the ball just as well as men. It is technique, aim and whether you are getting good looks.

Reply #295002 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Abrupt change in strength has something to do with it though. I've seen plenty of guys put on a heap of muscle in a hurry and take a while to get their stroke back.

Reply #295009 | Report this post

Skudded  
Years ago

This isnt a huge surprise, were not playing badly but were shooting HORRIBLY. It seems the hole team really has the yaps! both when it comes to shot selection and getting it bloody well in!

Reply #295010 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Very much bewilded by these stats.

Reply #295015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, yeah, I think it could have something to do with change in arm strength. The first impact was on his free throw shooting IMO.

Skudded, Ballinger 54%, Johnson 56%, Dowdell 52%. Holmes not too far off at 44%.

It's the guards that need to lift. Carter just under 30% and then Winder, DeVries and Ng are at 30-37%.

Hill and then Dowdell are the best from long-range. Who would've predicted Hill to lead our three-point shooting at any point?

Reply #295029 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Noone would have predicted Hill to lead the 3 point percentage - credit to him for improving his jumpshot, it sure needed it. However, the percentages for the purer shooters than Hill are below what would have been expected. Ng is particularly disappointing at the moment, De Vries isn't getting enough shots and Winder's shot selection and execution at times ie woeful

Reply #295030 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That is an interesting combination of stats. I would think it very unusual for a team to lead the league in assists and have the lowest FG%. My guess would be that we are also taking more shots than most teams and that when we don't assist, we shoot like an E grade social team, thus bringing our shooting percentage down through the floor.

Are these stats available online Isaac? I'd like to see how many shots we are taking compared to other teams. I'd also like to know if we are top in DRB because we are forcing a lot of misses to create those rebound opps, or because we are really efficient at grabbing everything that is available? The high ppg against the Sixers suggests that it is more likely we are rebounding well than just forcing a lot of opps through missed shots.

I guess some of these weird stats will sort themselves out a bit more once more games are played as well. Three games is a pretty small sample.

Reply #295063 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Not surprised HillBilly is leading our 3 point percentage as he has good technique and he usually only shoots the 3 when he is very wide open. He never has to force one as the guards sometimes have to when the clock is running down. He is also the guy teams are leaving open. Teams are still chasing and contesting Ng very closely.

Interesting about the assists and field goal percentage. What it is saying is that when we run our offence we get good shots. When players try to create their own shots it just does not work for us. This is probably a reflection of our personal, our set ups and what is being done at training.

Reply #295067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BF, I think that's a likely case.

Bean, not that I'm aware of from the NBL. They have team season boxscores, but that's the best I can find. Here's Adelaide's.

For better stats, hit the Hoops Pro-Stats link under Basketball Links in the header. Here's Adelaide vs Wollongong for example - you have to pay for more detailed stuff though.

Wouldn't have guessed prior to the season that Dowdell would've attempted more shots than Johnson even after just three games.

Reply #295070 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree that the big beef up most of the guys have had could be an impact, also the fact that so little of the offence happens below the foul line means not too many genuine open looks.

I like the offence, but they need to add more wrinkles to it and keep their spacing better.

Reply #295075 | Report this post

wall-e  
Years ago

I think this proves Jacob has been getting better at Defensive Rebounding. Carter has always done well with assists but free throw percentage is a little unexpected.

I think too improve will just take time. How much time is anyone's guess.

I dont agree on a previous post @Big Marty where Carter takes the 3 without using the clock.
If anyone is hungry for a shot, its Winder. On more than 4 occassions, he took a shot when only 5-7 seconds had been used and this was in the last quarter at home last week.

I guess the imports must show they have possession of the ball often as they rely on a job around the world where as guys like Brad Hill and Jacob Holmes only play the local league in the off season. But still, one guy wont win it. Its a team sport Winder

Reply #295104 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We've muscled-up but the shooting at training is of a high standard?
The feeling is good, because everybody has some room on offense , training?

Reply #295453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754