Hit the Road Jack
Years ago

Hypothetical basketball situation

Watching my son's basketball game yesterday where there were a number of players on 4 fouls got me thinking. What if the surely impossible happened whereby all players bar one got fouled out. Does the game finish there or what?. How can one player pass to himself, imbound from a score etc..

Has anyone ever played in a game where this came close to reality?

Your thoughts??

Topic #24232 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I believe the minimum you can have is 4.
Any less than that and the game ceases.

Reply #295227 | Report this post

Hit the Road Jack  
Years ago

Macdub, what if the team in foul trouble were in front. If the game ceases in that situation, I take it they lose automatically?

Reply #295229 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

i think the rule is that the players who have fouled out can stay on the floor, and every foul they commit after that is a tech...pretty sure something similar happened to golden state in the nba last year

Reply #295230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong and Wrong, and its been discussed on here before.

Outside of the NBA which makes up its own rules, a team has to have 2 players on court.

Once there is only 1 player left then the game is won by default by the opposition.

Its happened a few times in juniors in SA.

Reply #295231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happened in Warriors vs Portland game last year

Reply #295235 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The rule that allows players to stay on the floor to keep 5 players on court is an NBA rule only.

FIBA rule is a team must have two players on court or loses by default.

Reply #295237 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Happened to the AIS in a SEABL match either when Newley or Ingles were there (when I used to follow their box scores).

Reply #295238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, I think Newley was the last one left and had no one to pass in to.

Reply #295240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

saw it happen in a div 5 mens game end of last season.

Reply #295262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the team that has no players left is losing then the score stands..

If they are winning, the other team wins by default with a score of 2 -0

Reply #295265 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Who says you can't inbound with 1 player.
Seen many inbounds thrown off the defenders back and the inbound than step in and grab it ;)

Reply #295288 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Happened to one of my daughters in an U18 G/F at Wayville a few years back. Down to 2 players, one of these fouled out and despite leading at the time they lost the game, I think on a 20 - Nil basis.

Reply #295298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happened to a mate and I years ago when we were the only two left on the court from our team. We ran heaps of "pick & rolls"

Reply #295346 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I've always thought it would be fun to watch one guy try and play if he were the only one left. Especially trying to inbound the ball. I guess they'd have to try to throw the ball at an opponent's leg or something and then jump inbounds and get it before anyone else could. Or else throw it really high and run in and try and get it just after an opponent touches it.

Reply #295350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

J12, just set up a game of one-on-one with baseline inbounds after each score and see what eventuates. Until someone bounces it off their opponent's face and you're reflecting on the various techniques in the car to the hospital.

Reply #295351 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I went to a game in Victoria, under the banner of SEABL back in 2002. The game was Dandenong Rangers V AIS. The game finished when all AIS were fouled out. The game itself was a strange one because Dandenong only had 27 fouls for all its players, and AIS had 42 fouls. Included in that, was bench tech, and a few other unusual fouls. If the player taking the ball out has no one to pass too, how does he get it over the line and into play? There was 03:43 left in the fourth quarter. Over reffing again but in a local league

Reply #295594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754