Isaac
Years ago

Tigers vs Hawks, Nov 7

Tigers were favourites and built a lead going in to half time. Hawks have just responded with a strong run - at one point 27-5 - to build a lead of their own.

Topic #24234 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino is a tool!! He is always against the hawks even though he lived in the gong. WANKER!!

Reply #295244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think he is. Not noticing any overt bias.

Reply #295245 | Report this post

Handsome Lee  
Years ago

Hawks once again defy the haters and get another win on the road.

Reply #295246 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Tigers headed for worst season ever??unless they get help.
Can't rebound for all their height and they can't defend.
Well done Hawks. Too classy.

Reply #295247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the tigers played pretty well overall (other than a poor 3rd quarter) against a good hawks team. They got a lot closer to them than we did.

Reply #295248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the stats, the tigers outrebounded them Bill.

Reply #295250 | Report this post

K47  
Years ago

Oscar continues his great form, producing better numbers than Trigger did last year.

Maybe it's the system ;P

Tough decision for Gordie when Gruber is back, who starts? (good problem to have)

Also, i guess Ervin can hit the 3. Despite the Tigers captain's comments in the media this week.

Reply #295251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide will be a tiger soon.

Reply #295253 | Report this post

Homicide would be a poor fit. It will just add one more player for the defense to be able to back off from. Homicide at best in an up tempo game which is the oposite of what the majority of the giants want.They need a better 2 guard than (no)D evendorf. Someone who can defend. Mainly they need to NEVER put three bigs on the court at the same time and avoid as much as they can having Nevill and Burston on together. That requires the sacking of Helliwell who is just a waste of salary and points.
This is what I would do. Replace Devendorf with a defensive 2 man with a decent outside stroke,sack Helliwel and bring in a backup 1 (Tait, hell they are going that bad SOJ would be better for the team ballance). Pound the ball into Nevill every time you dont get an easy transition score and just work off the openings created by the help that will come.

Reply #295263 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

+TJ Campbell played well!!!

Briliant numbers from Saville. Just keeps on keeping on.

Reply #295267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can see Helliwell going the way of Dench and Cullen with a premature exit from NBL-level basketball. Just not sure what he offers to that team.

Reply #295269 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I think Helliwell would be a great fit for another side. Westover & his faithful no longer have a superstar & put together absolute CRAP this season! Oversized bunch of boofheads with 2 seabl guards. I bet Tregarth wished he's stayed in the Gong. Expect changes this week...

Reply #295271 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

I look at the tigers line up and what is on paper doesn't suit the shuffle. Shouldn't coaches coach to the strength of their team not just continue with the same old system because it what the coach knows. Frankly the Tigers under 12 boys run the shuffle better.

Reply #295274 | Report this post

lakerized  
Years ago

Wade offers nothing to any team. He is a joke, and i cant believe he ever got all the international attention he did! Guy is a oversized joke....and then there is THAT hair!

Thing that sucks, is the tigers are a joke aswell, but sadly with how fragile bball is in Aus at the moment, the NBL needs the tigers to be minimum competitive. Bet Ch10 is spewing they have so many tigers games scheduled!!!!!

Reply #295275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im pretty sure that the Adelaide Wollongong game televised previously was worse to watch than today's game. Not too convinced about Devendorf but Campbell had a great game and was better than Ervin - not quite sure how you could say he's at the standard of an seabl guard. Just more of the predictable tiger bashing.

Reply #295278 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Campbell played well for the 1st time this season! Was Al trying to be clever recruiting the biggest line up ever & then adding a jockey point guard - with an average handle & unpredictable shot? Wow didn't that backfire! Tiger bashing? All you have to do is listen to Gaze commentate & he rarely speaks ill of anything. This side could possibly only win a half dozen games to make them one of the worst ever.

Reply #295286 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Worst ever?

Didn't the Tigers have some very poor seasons at the start of their time in the NBL?

With Gaze I might add

Reply #295287 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Tigers may have won the rebound count over the game but in the final quarter all Hawks!

Reply #295289 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I went to this game and have to say despite the score it was preictable and boring by way of the tigers, whils Woolongong at least played some good basketball. Tigers had some good score from their shuffle offence, but overall the starting 5 are slow and boring to watch. The bigs lack presence despite their height, there are few fast breaks, slow transition and regardless how one plays the subs - are determined by the time on the clock (roll on the 4 minute mark).

The game was boring to say the least, the court side announcement tired and old hat and really nothing worth paying $120+ to take a family too!!

The NBL has lost its way, try finding it on FoxSport or the Age, it doesnt even feature as a major sport. No wonder

Reply #295291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Channel 10 would mind, the last two Tigers games (NZ and Wollongong) have been really exciting.

The league does need the Melbourne market to be successful, but that will never be the Tigers as they are just one club in Melbourne. That is why BA is working very hard to have a second Melbourne team by next year that can attract the wider market of basketball fans.

Reply #295293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has lost its way? 2005 called and wants its line back!

Reply #295294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orbit - you obviously didn't see Campbell's game against New Zealand - in that game, his stat line was 18 points on 6/9 shooting (4/7 3 point), 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 turnovers and 3 steals.

As for Gaze, he has regularly criticised the tigers this year - it's pretty clear that you don't watch the games or listen to the commentary.

Reply #295296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is, Is'Mail Muhammed could be getting signed to play for Tigers. Would be a good fit as they need a good explosive 3 man

Reply #295299 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Anon #295296 - I'm pretty sure orbit was making the same point as you about Gaze's criticism of the Tigers, as a way of underlining that when Gaze is being critical of teh Tigers, thread posters also being critical can hardly be accused of indulging in (unwarranted) Tiger bashing. You may want to read #295278 before rereading orbit's post.

Reply #295300 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hey Anon, listen to Peter, he read my post correctly. I cant believe a supercoach like Al Westover thought he had all the bases covered with this roster. By the time they all learn their roles the season will be over & that might just be his job on the market!

Reply #295307 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's a poorly balanced roster, compounded badly by the injuries to Greer and Walker.

They arent that far off it though with those two in the line-up, not a playoff team but competitive. I would personally replace Devendorf with a veteran combo guard who can defend, or even Mike Rose from last year would be an improvement. Devendorf is just too unreliable.

Reply #295308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did misread your comment on Gaze sorry. I still disagree about your comments on Campbell - see previous post #295296

I do find it odd to read the comments that the Tigers should not be shown on tv - the last 2 games against New Zealand and Wollongong have been close, entertaining games.

Reply #295309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, If Helliwell leaves soon it wont exactly be before his time. He debuted in 2000 and is 32 odd years old

Reply #295312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, have you heard anything regarding a replacement? Homicide and Hodge have been mentioned.

Reply #295317 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, but I havent been asking. Both imports were on thin ice before NZ but Campbell has been good since and Devendorf ok. I suspect they will wait to see how they go with Walker and Greer back before making a decision. Without the Chinese investment they dont have the cash they used to.

The names Hodge and Williams have been circling since pre-season, but they need a guy who can defend and shoot, and that aint either of them.

You never know with the Tigers though.

Reply #295326 | Report this post

Agree with Paul.Have posted similar before.Homiocide or Hodge are a terrible fit. Which in a perverse way probably make them the most likely for Westover to bring in. Tigers need shooters to spread the floor allowing Nevill or Trigger to do their stuff in high low sets. Devendorf just looks disinterested on D, a victim of Syracuse zone. Just bite the bullet and get rid of him and Helliwell.

Reply #295372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754