rainman
Years ago

Summerton to wnba

On BA website that Summerton has picked up a contract to train with the Conneticut Suns in the WNBA, great news for her!

Topic #2429 | Report this topic

you beauty - coach t was out here - and he had his eye out !

good on you laura - we knew it was coming !

expect erin to follow very soon over the next season or two - the way she is going

conneticut sun were runners up - so she is going to a quality outfit

Reply #27130 | Report this post

do not worry about the BA web site - here it is from the suns web site

let's get a laura / con sun aussie fan club going !

Sun Sign Laura Summerton

UNCASVILLE, CT. (March 24, 2005) The Connecticut Sun announced today that the team has signed center Laura Summerton of Australia to a training camp contract.
Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Summerton, 21, is a 6-foot-2 center who has played with the Adelaide Quit Lightning of the Women's National Basketball League of Australia. She has been named the team's Most Valuable Player in each of the last three seasons. Last season, Summerton ranked in the top three on the team in every statistical category, leading the team in blocks and points. She also led the league in field goal percentage, shooting 53.8 percent from the field.

Last summer, Summerton was a member of the Australian Olympic team that won the silver medal in Athens. Summerton won the WNBL's Betty Mason Rookie of the Year award while playing for the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in 1999.

The defending Eastern Conference Champion Connecticut Sun open its third season on May 21st in Detroit against the 2003 WNBA Champion Detroit Shock. The Sun will host the Phoenix Mercury at the Mohegan Sun Arena on May 28th.

Reply #27135 | Report this post

it is the only way we will tame the yanks - with jackson, summerton, grima crashing the boards in wnba - we will really take it up to them in bejing

Reply #27137 | Report this post

check some of these signings out -

NEW SIGNINGS
Player Team
Suzy Batkovic Seattle Signed on March 15
Belinda Snell Phoenix Signed on March 10
Carly Wilson Sacramento Signed on March 9
Hollie Grima Sacramento Signed on March 9
Miao Li jie Sacramento Signed on March 7
Janeth Arcain Houston Signed on March 4
Jessica Bibby Seattle Signed on March 3
Tracy Reid Houston Signed on March 1
Katrina Hibbert Indiana Signed on February 23
Sui Feifei Sacramento Signed on February 14
Irina Osipova Detroit Signed on February 9

Reply #27138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's a link to the article itself on the WNBA/Sun's site.

The Connecticut Sun announced today that the team has signed center Laura Summerton of Australia to a training camp contract.

Reply #27139 | Report this post

taste gold  
Years ago

that will just about make 9 or so opals in the WNBA

Jan would be excited

Reply #27141 | Report this post

taste gold  
Years ago

time to tidy up the lightning web site - will get a few hits from the conneticut sun web site link on laura's article

Reply #27142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now - all we need is lindsay whalen (suns point guard) playing over here on the wnba off season

Reply #27143 | Report this post

can't wait  
Years ago

what exactly does a training camp contract mean?

how many is she up against?

Reply #27157 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

future opals in WNBA

jackson
summerton
taylor
batkovic
grima
hibbert
snell
harrower

phillips on the up, bibby and the others in Europe kicking around o/s - looks fairly formidable for the future

shake the yanks

Reply #27168 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

this will sort sturts ABl eligibilty issue out

maybe newbold needs to return!

this will stop the rotation of marino/summerton/bowley

Reply #27176 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Does this mean Timmy Hodges will not be playing ABL anymore and following Laura to Conneticut? Half his luck if he does, good luck to Laura over there.

Reply #27201 | Report this post

I knew WHAT THE, that you couldn't stay away from having a go at the sturt basketball club. This post is baout congratulating Laura on her basketball career thats going forward. Leave it at that.

Reply #27204 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

bring back - if you only knew

i was not having a shot - it was an observation - perhaps i worded my post poorly

sturt are closer to me than you think !!!!

Reply #27213 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Good on ya little Laura!

Not so sure if Jr Hodges' ball and chain will reach all the way to the US.

Or if Laura will give him the Key, but we all know that he will sit at home waiting till she gets home, cos he is soft .
:-)

Love you timmy!
I wanna put you in my bag and take you to meet my mumma!

(Funny - little basketball awarded.)

Reply #27285 | Report this post

veteran  
Years ago

playing in front of 12 - 18,000 per week has got to rock

Reply #27529 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754