anon
Years ago

District Results and draw delays

Why are ladders showing results only till round 3 ?
Why isnt the draw up for the remaining games ?
What is scgheduled for Dec clash with Sixers ?
Any chance we can be able to plan our lives ?
Clubs charge good money for fees yet we cant seem to follow the competition results because not updated ?
Somebody please lift you game ?

Topic #24305 | Report this topic

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

I think your expecting too much.

That would mean people do their job well, and this is basketball.

Reply #296320 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

I know round four for Norwood/Woodville boys 18s was not played because of a power failure that evening at Mars, and I think the system will only give you a ladder up to the last completed round, in this case round three.

Reply #296329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are online now you can stop sooking

Reply #296333 | Report this post

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

Why shouldn't we be concerned about poor service?

Reply #296336 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

service is key ingredient of any successful business plan - when service reaches such a standard of excellence that complaints are reduced you look to then value added
sooking about poor service
SIMPLE IMPROVE THE COMMODITY

Reply #296341 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Why are ladders showing results only till round 3 ?

Because that's how sportingpulse works. Not BSA's fault, its a software issue by a company BA and FIBA use.

Why isnt the draw up for the remaining games ?

Because we have a pro/reg system in place in some grades. After 5 rounds teams move to create a closer, more even competition which is exactly what the majority of people involved want. The downside is the draw can only be done 1 phase/5 rounds at a time.

What is scgheduled for Dec clash with Sixers ?

This was released before the start of the season and information is available on the district website, and should have been delivered to you by your club as well. What else can BSA do then give you information BEFORE the competition even started?

Any chance we can be able to plan our lives ?

Same old, same old. It's a Friday night you'll be playing. See answers above, hopefully that helps.

Clubs charge good money for fees yet we cant seem to follow the competition results because not updated ?

Clubs charge 'good' money, whatever good money is, to pay for insurance, registration, training venues, junior development staff etc. A small percentage of your club fees go towards a team's nomination fee which is actually quite small in comparison to other states.

Somebody please lift you game ?

BSA have 2 people running Junior District, Senior District, Youth League, ABA, State Programs, State Junior Championships, Player Registrations, Coach Registrations, Result Entry, Scheduling of games (without enough venues), player clearances plus many many more then you should actually be pleased with the level of service you get.

BSA need more staff to provide a better service. Look at the staff levels of other states and see how we compare.

Reply #296344 | Report this post

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

Why does BSA not have the yearly calander up so that parents can organise their holidays and know which weekends will have no games on for the calander season?

And about 50% of BSA's income comes from the district competition revenue, so where is all that money going?

Reply #296347 | Report this post

Ganymede 39  
Years ago

"Why does BSA not have the yearly calander up so that parents can organise their holidays and know which weekends will have no games on for the calander season?"

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3-0-98430-0&sID=36670

It would be great if people actually thought for themselves for a change. No, it's easier to whine anonymously.

P.S. calander is a racing journalist for Channel 9 and the SMH, a calendar is on sportingpulse with all the rest of the draws and results.

Reply #296348 | Report this post

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

Thanks,
but that doesn't give us the information for School holiday breaks between terms 1,2 and 3. Nor any other weekends that games will not be played over the winter season.

Reply #296349 | Report this post

Ganymede 39  
Years ago

No games are played on the middle weekend of school holidays as has occurred for the last 20 or so years, or on long weekends. Tournaments are held on long weekends and are the responsibilities of your club, ask them what tournaments your team is entered into.

Reply #296350 | Report this post

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

How do we know that for sure? Has our club been given that information? And what about the State Champs, which weekend is that, it wasn't a long weekend last year? And what about catch up games we had last season? Does BSA have a schedule when these games will be played on Sundays over winter as this effect Football commitments for my son. If we knew when they were, we would be able to organise early and not leave a team short by requesting the week off.

Reply #296351 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Thomas I agree with you that a calendar with detail should be online.

But there 100% will not be games on the middle weekend of school holidays.

They don't have a plan for catch up games, if needed they'll play them whenever they decide is best.

I believe BSA is currently going through a review of the State Championships which may include a date change and there's a small chance it may include an end to the event alltogether (although I doubt it as BSA need the $$'s it creates).

Reply #296352 | Report this post

Ganymede 39  
Years ago

Again that's what has happened for more than 20 years. If in doubt go ask someone at your club.

State Champs are usually in early May. There is a State Champs review being done at the moment, so that's probably why dates have not been set. There is a web site devoted to it.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=4010&pID=1

Catch up games occur when games get postponed due to unforseeable cirumstances? The winter season hasn't even started yet, so no games have been postponed as they haven't even been scheduled.

Seriously Thomas, I'm all for holding BSA accountable but you really are being unrealistic with your expectations.

Reply #296353 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Ganymede 39

VJBL has a full schedule available online which includes dates for cat-up games if they're needed.

No reason why BSA couldn't do the same.

Some families have been involved in the sport for years so understand the timing of seasons, games, tournaments etc. Other families are new or less involved.

A detailed calendar wouldn't be difficult to produce would it?

But yes for the most part Thomas seems to be on a massive BSA bash.

Reply #296354 | Report this post

Thomas Doubter  
Years ago

Thanks Hydra, haven't been around to know, but how can I plan for a tournament that hasn't been decided on after the season starts? This would be a weekend I would need to organise football off I assume. Is it going to be the first or second or third weekend in May? Interesting to see that comeone else, I am assuming Victoria can have a yearly calender and we cant.

Reply #296357 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

The difference is that Basketball Victoria has a structure which gives all competitions the resources they need.

Basketball SA does not. BSA from the very top to the very bottom has a structure of negativity and tunnel vision with individuals with their own agenda's.

Basketball Victoria has a staff of 37. Allowing for the 7 staff members who are soley Country basketball focused that means BV has a staff of 30 for basketball in Melbourne.

Basketball SA has a staff of 12. 4 of those staff members do work within stadiums that clubs themsevles do in Victoria. So BV = 30, BSA = 8.

That's why Basketball Victoria can provide a better service to their customers than Basketball SA can.

Reply #296360 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hydra, this is a little misleading. The VJBL has only three staff - no one else helps from the BV office. The BigV has another 3 (maybe 2.5) but they are not employed by BV. The VJBL is a bit of a beast - especially with its grading phases, and as a single competition it effectively runs over a 9 mth span. it gets refixtured many times through thyat period, even though you can follow the path of a team theoretically from their plan.

Reply #296362 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we expect too much from too few

Reply #296378 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

HO its not misleading at all.

Big V is in fact a League within Basketball Victoria and yes while their staff only run Big V that's part of my issue.

VJBL and Big V have seperate staff. BSA have 2 people who run both the Central ABL and Junior District basketball. 1 of which I don't believe is even fulltime.

They also run State teams whom BV have yet another staff member for.

Reply #296385 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NG runs state teams in this state I believe

Reply #296387 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

depends on your definition of 'runs'

does he do any of the admin of them? No

Reply #296388 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

and you know that how?

Reply #296391 | Report this post

pepper  
Years ago

Having played in both states, I have come to the conclusion that BV is a lot more organised.
I know they have more staff, but also have a hell of a lot more clubs/teams to deal with also (about 5 times more clubs than we have here).
Also a stronger comp due to these numbers and the fact that they grade ALL divisions from championship down to Eastern/Northern qualifying in juniors.
Unlike here where there are the protected clubs that automatically have a team in Div 1, whether they are good enough or not, and there are teams in Div 2 that could beat half the teams in Div 1.
As far as the draw goes for grading, they have a map that you can follow, and theoretically know all games for grading that your team will have (though not who you're playing against). Not sure why we can't do something like that, at least give all dates.

Reply #296393 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

hydra....i did say it is a "little" misleading. The bigV might be housed with BV but they are very separate - they live next door to the VJBL in terms of offices but neither gets involved in each others workload - largely because the bigV is a separate legal entity. The VJBL is similarly pillared. The only time i have ever seen other BV staff help VJBL staff is at the classic when they might volunteer to help out.

You are not comparing apples with apples. the Vic structure is strong because the leagues are conducted very much independently of BV, not because BV resource them well (which is what I thougt you were suggesting). The finances of BigV and VJBL are recorded and reported completely separately of BV - and reported back to only the participating clubs - not to BV. BV has no say in staffing of the VJBL or bigV. The CEO of BV does not appoint any of these people.

To further highlight the difference, both the VJBL and BigV include country teams, yet the BV office has basically no day to day involvement otherwise with country victorian associations - that belongs and is managed, as you have suggested by, those seven or so staff from Country Vic.

Even Bill Mildenhall I understand is not fully employed by BV, but is partly employed by yet another independent (perhaps legal entity) in the VBRA.

BV itself does a lot of work in "inclusive basketball" (something like four of their staff are wrapped up in this) and their basketball development officers basically run revenue generating clinic and camp programs. They have a full time staff member servicing one sponsor! BV run a huge schools program and independent aussie hoops activation programs - the latter certainly service their associations, but not directly. BV probably does very little direct servicing of associations - that belongs largely to its independent leagues.

Reply #296403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

It is good to see a review of the State Champs is taking place. Since we seem so set in following what Vic does with U23's and domestic competitions and intro of pro/rel then get rid of this as well. Use the finals of winter seasons in Div 1 and Div 2 to dtermine club champion if this is still a relevant notion and use standings after round one of winter season for classics and nationals nominations

Reply #296415 | Report this post

anonomouse  
Years ago

So how would country teams qualify for Nationals?

Reply #296421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't recall any SA country teams qualifying.

Reply #296422 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

HO

No disrespect but you clearly have no understanding of the system we live in here in SA.

You're trying to compare VJBL with Basketball SA.

Basketball SA is responsible for everything Basketball Victoria is, in fact in some ways BSA is actually responsible for more than BV is as BSA run local stadiums and competitions throughout Adelaide.

BigV and VJBL are run as separate entities I get that. But here in SA they are not. CABL and Junior District Basketball is run by 2 people. Who also run many other things in SA basketball.

As Jack Toft put it, here in SA we simply expect too much from too few. That was the point I was trying to make.

Reply #296426 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Might be time for another clean out of BSA. Promise a lot and deliver little and listen less than ever before.

Reply #296477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754