SRT070
Years ago

No Prep Time for Shannon

Just after reading Boti's article today about Devries a mention of Shannon is in there with him expected to arrive tomorrow instead. if he does suit up for the Hawks game on friday, which the sixers dont know if his papers from greece have been lodged yet, will mean he will have hardly any preparation time. Even if his papers are done in time does anyone think he will be able to make much of a difference considering he wont know our style of game play?? any thoughts?

Topic #24473 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This has been my concern also. I don't see him having much prep time. The team would have a light shoot-around or go for a light stroll together if anything before the game.

The coach and team-mates can tell him things, but a good majority will blow past him.

He should be experienced enough to call for an odd Iso play or Pick and Roll.

Between this weekend and next week's home game, he'll have a bit of time to adjust.

We can only wait and see mate.

Reply #298804 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh i know im just hoping he doesnt have a big enough impact (if he does play) to upset my tips for this week!

Reply #298806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Homicide came in and played the full 40 minutes, the day after arriving, didn't he? Can be done.

Reply #298810 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't think this would matter for a professional basketball player that much. Furthermore, surely the club would email him their offense as he can learn it in transit. Also perhaps player strengths and weaknesses should be sent to him also so he can adjust to the team as quickly as possible.

Reply #298811 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

true Isaac, but Homicide is very familiar with the NBL and knows most of the players pretty well. however in saying that he did need to adjust to melbournes shuffle but i guess you have to start somewhere. even if he is there to watch the game (if the papers dont go through in time) it would be a good start for him to see the hawks i think.

Reply #298812 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

KingJames, thats another good point. it just made me think then too that the sixers have probably provided him with some game footage anyway, im sure it wouldnt be hard for them to send some games for him to watch and learn how we play. it is a pretty long plane flight, so why not stock up on footage.

Reply #298813 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - but Melbourne lost the game and Homicide had 8 turnovers.

Reply #298817 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Well the fact that the Sixers don't really have much of a set offence I don't see it being a problem. Plus he's a penetrate and pass point guard and a quick transition offensive player which is almost exactly what our offensive style is.
My guess is though that the Sixers won't have his papers done, seems like in the past this has always been a fault of the club.

Reply #298819 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

If he is cleared in time, he might come off the bench but he should be able to contribute.

From the limitied footage we have all seen its pretty clear that this time they have tried to recruit a point man who has played very similar systems to what Marty is running. 3 out, 2 in, wing hand offs, pick and roll, back through screens all stuff in the video is from the 36ers current play book options, so a simple walk through the sets a day before the game should suffice for this professional point guard.

The problem will be the other players and whether they are used to his speed and hopefully quick passing.

Reply #298820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skip, I said it can be done, not necessarily successfully! I don't expect him to play and if he does, I think chances are he'd come off the bench and freelance a bit. They'd at least have morning shootaround and probably one session walking through plays.

Reply #298822 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

What exactly is Adelaides style of game play? OFCOURSE with a decent ball handler in the team, prep or not, he will make a great difference. Its basketball, its what these guys have done their entire lives. What, he is going to just commit TO after TO because he doesnt know what the play fist is!? Let the guy ball, and his speed may actually catch Ervin by surprise!

Reply #298827 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Actually there is an update on adelaide now, Shannon is arriving today and so is Gilder for the kings.

Reply #298830 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I'd be happy with 10.1 and 2.8 on debut. Anything else is gravy.

Reply #298836 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair point. It's as much about how you get them though isnt it. Damien Martin gets around 10 and 4 from memory, yet he contributes much more than Groves or Winder did on the offensive end with similar numbers. Same with Lisch, Braswell, Dillon, Corletto etc etc.

Winder and Groves seemed to take the whole team out of sync, as did Gilchrist. If Shannon does the same it might be time to look at the teammates and not the imports, but I suspect he’ll do well - he has a much higher bball IQ than the other three.

Reply #298838 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

im just glad this game will be televised. its gonna be a good game.

Reply #298839 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As others have suggested, he can definitely come into the team and contribute. I would think he would see some minutes off the bench. Coach Clarke is no Al Westover...

Reply #298840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers were great in that game against perth, challenging them right up until the end. While Homicide's turnover count was high, he made a huge difference to the team after only being in the country a day.

Reply #298843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect little and he does well with limited preparation we will be rewarded

Expect alot with limited preparation we may be disappointed.

I have faith in the coaching staff not to expect the world from someone who has just met the team and flown half way across the world and would be jet lagged.

Why is it many aussies seem to set people up to fail or are we just pessimistic by nature?

Reply #298846 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Tigers were very competitive with Wollongong before Williams arrived, so I am not sure they really improved that much in the game against Perth. They had already been improving quite a bit since their first couple of games.

Reply #298850 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

This Friday night at the WIN Entertainment Centre the Wollongong ahm Hawks will be again be supporting International Day of People with a Disability.

Great timing!

No doubt this is politically incorrect, and I shouldn't laugh, but come on.......

Reply #298855 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I don't think he's being set up for failure. It's just impossible not to remember Bobby Locke.

Reply #298858 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, or Calvin Talford!

Reply #298862 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, i by no means am trying to set him up for failure. personally i am on your side of thinking that if he does play ill just watch and not expect much for the reasons you stated. it would be harsh to expect a 20 point game from the guy. because we are talking about it so much i bet the paper work wont even get through in time.

Reply #298863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Devries defo out for a while whats the story on him ?

Reply #298867 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

The article just says he is injured and on his own training regime but no mention of him not suiting up. seeing as he has been playing with the injury im guessing he is going to power through it against the hawks?

Reply #298870 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

I was watching 36ers training and the guy arrived today. TV Cameras where there for the event so expect something on the news tonight.

DeVries was there and training. Looked good too.

Reply #298921 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Did he train today? If so how did he go?

Reply #298930 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

No training seemed like he just got off the plane.

Reply #298933 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was nine news - he was sitting on the side watching sixers training here. ( While only Friday , Winder was playing here - seems so quick.)
' It hasn't effected my passing or my shaaat.'
Paperwork not done yet - will play , if it's done..

Reply #298942 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Any update on whether he is playing Friday?

Reply #299062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine that the 36ers will issue a press release if he's cleared to play in time.

Reply #299110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754