Anonymous
Years ago

2 teams in Div 2

What happens in winter if a club has two teams in div 2 for summer. Do they only get one in winter or does it depend ?

Topic #24474 | Report this topic

annon  
Years ago

Hopefully

Reply #298903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe

Reply #298910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while many clubs struggle for numbers the emerging super clubs prefer to run 2 and 3 teams in div 2 with no regard for either the kids or the competition.

Reply #298918 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Your a fool Anon. Eat some more sour grapes ... Tell me a club in juniors that has 3 teams in Div 2? No wonder with people like you your club goes nowhere .

Reply #298922 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The only issue with having two Div 2 teams is that they must be run as two separate teams. One assumes that the two coaches get together and review who they have played, strengths weaknesses etc to help each other out. And for those Poindexters who say is doesn't happen, then those coaches are dumb coaches.

What are the rules regarding player movement?

Reply #298948 | Report this post

as long as competitions committee stay consistent with their decisions of previous years and winter 2011 season.

Reply #298980 | Report this post

cant swap between teams aftre round 6 of summer unless you go up to div 1 for one game and come back. you cant go down and come back up due to pro rel rules in div 3 unless it was the first game of a phase

Reply #298981 | Report this post

there is a by law that caps second div 2 teams at 2 per club.

it's all being phased to one team per club over the next few years - but mark my words - we will have div 3 and 4 teams miles ahead of their group in div 3 and 4. 5. and div 2 will end up with only 6-7 teams as the smaller clubs struggle to field 2 teams and provide a div 2 team.

pro rel accross the board and capped at 2 teams per club per grade. last time i checked nobody got into the boomers, classics, world championships, nbl etc because they had been there at the start - so small clubs holding a right to a div 1 spot then not nominating a team in juniors is.........

Reply #298982 | Report this post

very frustrating

Reply #298983 | Report this post

"What happens in winter if a club has two teams in div 2 for summer. Do they only get one in winter or does it depend ?"

it will be results based - both teams need to perform - ie one would need to be in top 4 and the other in top 7 - if any of those criteria arent being met and a strong div 3 team / teams exists - they will be replaced - the decision would be starting to evident by now as summer is >50% over.

Reply #298985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that it has ever happened for the best of the two teams to have a "surprising loss" to the weaker team in Div 2 to ensure that the case for the second team remaining in Div 2 is there!!

Reply #299024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if the team smashing everyone in Div 3A is the MAGIC ?

Reply #299036 | Report this post

check the by laws - western can be eligible for div 2.

from what i understand provided a second div 2 is not nominated by a member club.

the litmus test for competitions committee is a poor performing pair of teams in div 2 from a member club.

so in my opinion if western are delivering strong results they could replace a POORLY performing second div 2 team from a member club - but that team would have to be 7-8th downwards and the first team not in top 3-4.

looking at the junior tables - there is one grade western have a huge % - it would be common sense to promote them.

my concern are really poor performances from memeber clubs being unrealistic in putting teams in too higher grades - look at the tables.

I think you will find the competitions committee keeps a good eye on things.

Reply #299059 | Report this post

Pug 79  
Years ago

Why cant those kids go and play for West??? In div 2???

Reply #299063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are referring to Norwood's 3rd team in U14 boys 2 and also to their U16 Boys 3 team playing in Div 2.

I agree after seeing the U14's that Magic should be in and Norwood drop to 3's.

In U16's it is not so clear as there is no stand out team in Div 3's.

Reply #299064 | Report this post

Pug is absolutely on the money - i thought the arrangement was Div 1 and 2 at west - yes the yshould get promoted but transform to a second west div 2 team - so become a "west 3"

if the competitions committee is consistent with their calls they will just swap the poorly performing second div 2 team with this western turned west team

Reply #299068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree......... That is exactly what the competitions committee must do otherwise the ongoing rumours of over the top support for Norwoods's poorly attended domestic competition (by non district players) will be further substantiated

Reply #299070 | Report this post

i just looked at u14b tables - yes i see - the norwood 2 team is doing ok and norwood 3 right on the bubble - if the norwood 3 team can win their last games they should be right and finish 7th or so - but another loss or two will see them finish 8th or lower and open the door for the western 1 team - which should turn into a west 3 team.

silly thing is they all have better results than woodville 2 - who should be the real team heading for div 3.

Reply #299071 | Report this post

western 1 and forestville 3 may have cases for u16 div 2 b - but their results have to be more dominant. On the for side for Norwood their number 2 teams are recording strong results.

last few weeks will tell

Reply #299074 | Report this post

just a bit more - the western / west amalgamation happened after the by laws - so I would not entertain a west 2, west 3 and a western 1 in div 2.

From what I understand in would be a west 2 and west 3 in div 2 (promoting the western team / players to div 2) and western would regroup with what was left in div 3-4

Reply #299076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U14's table is fairly volatile at the moment and it will be impacted if round 11 is not scheduled which must occur for all teams to have played each other once.

If this happens Norwood could realistically fall in the ladder.

Reply #299078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What money Norwood dropping 1 or 2 Div one players in U14's to ensure they can maintain the second team in Div 2's.

Reply #299081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The under 14's is the issue. Magic so good but why drop a team in 8th shouldn't it be the last team ?

Reply #299083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Under 16's the Norwood 3A & 3B pools have good results so I think they are safe.

But agree 14's they will go down.

Reply #299084 | Report this post

anon #081 - i think you will find bsa are in the know and watch results accross the board.

they would know exactly what teams are on the bubble already.

fact is the players are better off in an even grade and if it is div 1 or div 6 - so be it.

Reply #299088 | Report this post

anon - #083 - exactly

Reply #299089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drop Woodville down. Or are we defending 100 point loses again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #299098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our club was disadvantaged by the current rules last year. Don't break the rules change the rules. While we have rules and precedents to be fair to every club we must do what has happened in the past in these circumstances and that is drop the second Norwood team if they do not improve.

In the meantime work on the rules so a similar situation does not occur.

Reply #299104 | Report this post

pro / rel accross the board - capped at 2 teams per club.

Reply #299106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you might be right ....... but until then we have rules and past practices which in my opinion must be consistently followed.

Reply #299107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finals have come early....

Reply #299117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forrestville & Rockets would benefit so that is a good thing.

Reply #299118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still say drop the bottom team. U14's is the only problem

Reply #299137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lose this week and there in trouble

Reply #299138 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

why would orestville and Rockets benefit. Why is this weeks like a final.

Reply #299139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players move when they have been playing div 2 and club drops to div 3.... They are the closest clubs

Reply #299172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that at least 1 has moved to Norwood from these clubs for the summer season that would be an interesting turnaround if they returned.

Anyway this is all conjecture - there will be movement in the Norwood teams to ensure this doesn't happen

Reply #299173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I can say is if Norwood3 U16b goes down it's their own fault. The team selections have been in a word baffling. There are 2nd years in Norwood5 who played in the 4th team last year. Norwood5 just missed out on going up last round by 9 points, this round they are undefeated with over 180%. Norwood4 are winless and Norwood3 are just about as bad. There questions over how some kids have been promoted,(Div6 to Div2?). I know coach's recommendations are being ignored.

Reply #299234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I see happening at Norwood I would suggest that if your objective is to play in the higher divisons there it is best to start at another club, participate in Norwood's domestic comp and I believe you get preferential treatment when you are lured across to Norwood.

Sometimes big does not mean best!!

Reply #299249 | Report this post

Eagle Plucker  
Years ago

Norwood3 U16b won't go down a Div. They were as weak as any Div 3 team, but after their round 3 game (loss) against Norwood2, some player movement has evened out the teams.

Reply #299255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches make the decision's on who goes up who goes down......

Unless you are saying there are outside influences ???

Is that what your saying ?????

Reply #299260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know the coach's were over ruled and told by the club who would go up or down.
That doesn't mean they didn't have an input but at the end of the day they were told.

Reply #299284 | Report this post

ha ha  
Years ago

Today at the st clair carnival Western Magics division 3 team beat Woodville Warriors division 1 team by a bucket load(that is under 14s),now i think that alone should let them play in div 2. By the way thats without 4 players that are at West now!

Reply #299432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck with that one. Norwood U14's will win and finish 5 or 6.

Should be Woodville Gone.....

Reply #299435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree how can Woodville defend 100 point loses

Reply #299443 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Western Magic are always strong.

If there are 12 teams in Div 2, IMO, the BSA rule should be one spot per member club + on each for Cougars and Magic. Then, if lack of nominations, then open it up to a second team.

Reply #299446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville have fallen over badly in the last year or so especially in the girls.

Reply #299449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No club would over rule a coach.........

That's a joke......

Reply #299455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do that Jack and Woodville are as good as dead.

Why play div 2 for woodville when you can for magic at half the fees.

Reply #299478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great point. Magic play div 2 Woodville drop out Magic get levied a fee by BSA to play div 2 with the extra $$ going to BSA.

That has to make the them hapy.

Kick them out of div 2.

Don't hurt the good clubs

Reply #299484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK

So let's get this right. Norwood selection policy in 16's is all over the place and they still win games.

Woodville DIV1's can't beat a div 3 team.

So Woodville do not have a right to a div 1 or 2 spot...

Reply #299485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No club would over rule a coach........."
Have you ever coached?
I have coached a few years at district level and it's happened to me more than once, and I know of others it has happened too. Just get in the presidents good books and do some work for the club or get on the committee and move up the ranks. Div 6 one year Div 2 the next.

Reply #299497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville need to slip away quietly with falling numbers and fewer teams than ever, time to go woodville.

Reply #299531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never coached Basketball but many other sports (had it happen once they know not to ask again)and you must be weak to accept that rubbish. Your making that up for some reason.

Go away Woodville.....

Reply #299569 | Report this post

(;0)  
Years ago

don't kick them when they are down - basketball karma comes around.

I think the persons in power have to make a realistic judgement call on gradings and the people involved have to come to the party.

woodville have every right to be there as with any other club.

Reply #299578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about the player in a certain U14 team that accounced his movement to another club this week at the end of the summer season and then proceeded to stay in the Div1 team and played more court time than he has all year

Reply #299608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely you are better of playing with 7 players that want to be at the club and putting the time in to them. I'd hate to be a parent with a child sitting on that bench not playing much when this has occured.

Reply #299610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what team? when? I am guessing this is a player at a lower club thinking they are better than the team. i suppose they are moving too one of the big 2 clubs. I wonder, were they poached or chose to go?

Reply #299612 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Just to add to the issue guys-not only did Magic beat Woodvilles div1 team,but they defeated Wests div 2 team at the st clair carneval.

Reply #299679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now thats what carnivals are all about,the chance to beat top teams-haven't Western done that in style.

Reply #299681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not know that this is true but i was told that westerns girls could have nominated to play in div 2 for the summer season,but they declined the offer. A nd with that we can see that they are serving a load of BS to their members by not being allowed to play in at least div 2. Also heard that because of coaches commitments they wouldn't have him for div2,who then?So lack of coaches,that is experienced ones will make sure they never move forward.

Reply #299685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SENSATIONAL GET THEM IN U 14 DIV 2.....

RESULTS COUNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #299688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magis - Joke and will always will be. St Clair social carnival? How are their State champs results?

Reply #299712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic legends deserve better

Reply #299713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOODVILLE 28%

Reply #299714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't read it's 25.34%

Thats right average of 40 points to 10

GOOOOOO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be Woodville replaced

Reply #299717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems inevitable that woodville will fold because they have not got the numbers to improve. They had their chance with magic for better or worse and chose worse. They can't field competitive teams, can't field a div 1 team in every age group and resemble Centrals and Souths. All 3 clubs should disappear.

Reply #299720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes BSA MUST GO!!!

Reply #299724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Magic players have to pay the $300 per year extra it takes to be a proper district club and run an ABA team then sure they can go in div 1/2. but they would find them selves in a similar posititon to Wodville now.

Reply #299727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams who are not up to it. Should not be in div 1 or 2 it does nothing for the players development.

Reply #299860 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fork me!

Is it possible to have a post in juniors that doesn't get taken over by bitchy anonymous comments?

This forum needs to be sponsored by Pura Milk - to put in people's saucers!

Reply #299876 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would guess that the majority of people bagging woodville on this thread are magic members, a case of sour grapes because they didnt merge with them.

Reply #299890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack your posts, eloquent as they may be, invariably contain the very criticisms that you complain about, so instead of posting on every thread on the site promoting your impressive basketball knowledge, be a little more selective on your choice of posts and spare us your sanctimonious and holier than thou treaties on why your a champion fella with impeccable judgment.

Reply #299895 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hook taken.

It's not the comments per say, after all it's good to see some rivalry between the clubs. Yeah, it makes my day stirring the pot. But, at least I put my name to it!

Reply #299899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really!?

Jack Toft is your name? No Jack Toft that I know of in SA basketball.

Reply #299904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

Is that wjat you call it when someone suffers from small man syndrome and needs to make themselves feel better by pull down the tall poppies because the club they are involved in is a basket case?

PS anon 895. You might be mistaking a serial poster with knowledgable poster.

Reply #299915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see all the Woodville 100 point losers defending their club.

Don't nominate and let the real people play

Reply #299993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now what is to be done with western magic,they tried to form an association with woodville and that didn't work because you cant have a marriage where one side gets to dictate everything.Most of woodvilles members said they would get most players to go out west if that happened,ok so what was magic to do?Even if there was a merger most warriors said they would leave-probably scared for positions.In the end some narrow minded idiots would rather see magic a club of over 250 players cease to exist,now isn't that ripper for the sport!

Reply #300008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic seem to have more teams than Woodville with their girls teams are on a par with Woodvile's . Both clubs should have stepped up, not down and should have merged, instead two women fueding and wanting to keep their nest's feathered oversaw the death of both clubs. West will be the only winner because Woodville are on the canvas, out of breath and about to get knocked out and Magic are being eaten without even knowing it.

Reply #300044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville should just get it over with. Go down to Div 3 or 4 or 5 and let Magic up.

As for Norwood letting go of two teams in Div 2.

You must be joking they are still winning games and above 4 other clubs.

Woodville you must not subject kids to getting smashed week after week it does nothing

Reply #300050 | Report this post

BasketBall SA  
Years ago

Basket Ball SA have decided not to allow Woodville in Under 14 Div 2 for winter.

Due to article 17 a and rule change pending promotion relegation.

Reply #300053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow check the website

Reply #300059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ladder After Round 9 POS TEAM P W L D B FF For Ag PC Pts
1 Norwood Flames 2 9 8 1 0 0 0 372 198 187.88 25
2 Sturt Sabres 3 9 8 1 0 0 0 452 257 175.88 25
3 Sturt Sabres 2 9 8 1 0 0 0 385 238 161.76 25
4 Forestville Eagles 2 9 6 3 0 0 0 382 279 136.92
5 Eastern Mavericks 2 9 5 4 0 0 0 326 350 93.14 19
6 Norwood Flames 3 9 4 5 0 0 0 320 291 109.97 17
7 West Adelaide Bearcats 2 9 4 5 0 0 0 338 312
8 South Adelaide Panthers 2 9 4 5 0 0 0 229 276
9 Southern Tigers 2 9 3 6 0 0 0 347 316 109.81
10 North Adelaide Rockets 2 9 2 7 0 0 0 256 387
11 Central Districts 2 9 2 7 0 0 0 209 318 65.72
Keep Going
Going...........
Going..........
12 Woodville Warriors 2 9 0 9 0 0 0 134 528 25.38
DIV3
Here we are !!!!

Reply #300061 | Report this post

Flame Out  
Years ago

WOW!!

Aren't those Flames absolutely f'ing unbelievable!! They should be in Div 1.

Oh, BTW, #10 in U14 Boys Div 1 - Woodville.

Reply #300083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw some of the games at Mars last Friday.

To me it seems that Woodville 14/1's are made primarily up from their first years from under 12's which drew with Norwood in the last couple of rounds of 12/1's Norwood at the time were hailed as the best team in the country but I guess that is not so when they lost the GF to Sturt.

If the club believes it is in the best interest of the club and the players to play Div 1 this year to give them a head start to next year then that is the club's choice.

As for Norwood 3 they struggled against a low team and only in the last few minutes did the score blow out. I think teams from 5 - 10/11 are much of the same in 14/2's

Reply #300163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball SA - I cannot see any article 17 - where is this? Secondly don't you love rules being change at short notice to suit the current situation?

Reply #300167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are many teams who would be good enough to take on teams in Div 1. Now, if only those players played for their nearest club, what a great standard Div 1 would be

Reply #300173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcaats and Rockets would be unstopable

Reply #300185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the standard in Div 2. I think thats why Rupert is moving to div 1 for winter.

Reply #300186 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

having a look at the tables - IMO the following teams are in the wrong division. Some of these need to go down or up a division.

This is purely a results based issue when teams have a vastly high or low % - been forfeiting games or extreme win or loss ratios.

u12 B2

west
south 2

u14 B1

Woodville 1

u14 B2

Woodille 2

u14 B3

Western 1 - would become a West 2 ?

u16 B3

Forestville 3

u18 B1

Centrals 1

u18 B3

Sturt 3

u12 G1

Mavericks 1

U12 G2

Woodville 1

U12 G3

Western 1 - ? would become a west team if moving up

u14 G1

Woodville 1

U14 G2

Forestville 2
Tigers 2
Centrals 2
North 2

U14 G3

Western 1- ? west
Forestville 4

u16 G2

Woodville 2
South 1

u16 G3

Sturt 3

U18 G1

West 1
Centrals 1

U18 G2

Sturt 2
Sturt 3
North 2

some divisions have positions only - no W/L or % for some reasons.

These are all teams that i feel need to either be promoted or relegated - due to big variations in results - and history says they usually get better or worse as the year go on.

Reply #300187 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

sorry left a forestville 2 team out of u16 2G

Reply #300189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks good to me.

Reply #300190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find a big improvement in forrestville with about 8 boys leaving and moving there in winter in U12, U14 & U16 from one club.

Reply #300192 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

if that is the case forestville 3 in u16B would have a good argument for promotion

Reply #300193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

192, which club are they coming from?

Reply #300195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be Western Magic with the link between Western Magic President (??) but child playing at Forestville

Reply #300209 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

Reply #300231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood all 8.

Reply #300234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood - and already from last year U12's 1 they have lost a person to Sturt 14/2's Why would they leave to go to Forestville where the development on the boys side is no where as good as what we are being told about Norwood.

Reply #300242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just processing the transfers......

Reply #300246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It does tend to happen when you get a bubble of talent in an age group.

Reply #300247 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Flames u/12b movement is due to div 1 coach very poor results for flames, good for Sturt and Eagles.

Reply #300258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm this person who has already moved to Sturt is it his third club in 4 years??

Reply #300269 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #300287 | Report this post

baby eagle  
Years ago

Are Western Magic teams allowed to play in div2 as Magic or do they have to be a second West team?If its the second it is very confusing, shouldn't they get best players from both teams to represent west2 and make the rest West3?Where would they train,imagine at st Clair now that would be weird with 3 clubs training there then1

Reply #300311 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

from what i understand -
If you are an existing western player of div 1 or 2 level - you play for west.

If you are a western player of div 3,4,5 standard you play for western.

If you are an existing west player of div 3,4,5 level you stay with your west team.

having said that - I am far from in the know - that is just what I understand to be the amalgamation plans.

(just a forum surfer - have nothing to do with either club)

Reply #300338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would there be anything to stop any of the small semi social fringe clubs or church from buddying up with an established club to beat the costs associated with district basketball?
Nothing against mergers at all but this BSA approved 'claytons job' does seem to be perplexing.

Reply #300349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

300349, that's exactly what should be happening. Its what the smart clubs are doing .

Reply #300352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It does seem that preferential treatment is provided to some clubs and pro/rel via all divs will solve problem.

Reply #300366 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did I miss something.... thought all the juniors were on holidays. You guys should be getting excited about Santa rather than pro/rel, moving clubs or kicking the underdogs while they are down.

Have a good Xmas and a break from JUNIOR BASKETBALL!

Reply #300367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not a smart club approach other codes and form a sporting association such as North Adelaide football club is doing with a soccer team. Could be a win win for a community.

Or is it happening already?!?

Reply #300369 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

Reply #300454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If western gave out another 3 players to west in girls under 14s ,they would have a div 1 team to compete against anyone!

Reply #300461 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Magic isn't allowed to have a div 2 team,if they go up the teams that do must play under the Bearcats banner.

Reply #300462 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Are you Western people all there? 3 players from Western to West and then beat anyone? Glad you ferals believe your own press because everyone else just laughs!

Reply #300468 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

well why aren't these u14 kids at west then if they should be playing D1 - not Div 3 - clearly the results show this with the D3 team some huge %

Reply #300471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point is that West need extra players.

Reply #300492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on this threat being the longest in history and Santa nearly here (BASA). Magical events are about to happen and wow Magic and in Woodville out...

Reply #300493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on this threat being the longest in history and Santa nearly here (BASA). Magical events are about to happen and wow Magic and in Woodville out...

Reply #300494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West Adelaide under 14 girls could benefit from a few extra good players,and i do not think they could beat anyone but they could have a good go at teams above them on the ladder now.western players choose to play for their club if they qualify for div2 because the fees are 1/2 of what the cats are paying,so they get the best of both worlds-higher div+small fees.

Reply #300590 | Report this post

I'll be there  
Years ago

this has been hijacked a bit by the the woodville / western stuff.

But reality is whoever is responsible for overseeing the entries - be the clubs or BSA - some serious thought needs to go into accepting -

clubs that forfeit all the time so early in the 12 months (usually gets worse as the year moves on) and teams with either extremes of %s - ie teams with greater than 175% or lower than 30%.

they need to be balanced - our kids have played with the pro/rel and without - and we have had a more enjoyable season playing more balanced pro/rel games. it is only egos that have their noses put out of joint - 95% of the kids dont care if they are div 1 or 4 - they just want to play and feel good about their game.

Reply #300592 | Report this post

Years ago

fore sure -

a team that is great than 175% already in their divsion - will only get better by winter and should go up

a team that is less than 30% - should go down - they are in the wrong group - the kids will give up as the summer season moves to winter and not achieve anything.Put them in a grade where they can achieve something from their basketball not just try to avoid being thumped each week. Will turn into a muck around or pessimistic mind set as they deal with failure.

teams forfeiting regularly - wait til winter hits with the wet and cold and you have been thumped for 5 months already - time go wont get any better

Reply #300595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has been hijacked by Norwood issues this thread but anyway.

Agree with issue your kids aren't going to enjoy being thrashed every week.....

Better to move down and have a chance to play closer games.....

Reply #300614 | Report this post

Years ago

some clubs need a reality check - and honestly say - we are not what our egos say - but let's build a team. The teams will stand for more if they achieve as a group. let's see if the competitions committee are up to it and some clubs junior programme managers are capable of a balanced view of where their programmes are at.

My experience has been a player feels better about their game in a top 4 div 3 or 4 team than a bottom div 1 or 2 team

Reply #300627 | Report this post

Years ago

Reply #300661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True ,i would rather play in a lower division than loose by a bucketful every week.I would still zone teams,that is if you live in the area you get to play for the clubs within the zone,Some kids live in modbury and play for sturt-how stupid is that.Sorry country kids but i find it weird if you live in Kadina that you play/train district in Adelaide

Reply #300820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2teams in any division is bullshit.I agree teams not performing should be relegated,but any clubs second team should not be allowed to move up to div2. Just look at some div 3 groups this year,they are shockers because clubs are allowed to move their 3rd team to div2.If you want this sort of crap invent a new super division of 22 teams where everybody plays everybody in a mega 9 month season.Some of those poor div 3 kids would be better off playing social,school bball.Its not fair to charge them full fees and get them to play in div el-shito.

Reply #300828 | Report this post

it is all about balance - the above average teams for their grade should go up and the below par down - regardless of what club or division

Reply #300830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But why stop at making Div 2 the even comp? Why not Div 1, Woodville and Centrals cop some shocking beltings and there are div 2 teams that would easily beat them, So if you argue Woodville Div 2 should be dropped you could also argue Div 1 should be dropped.
Maybe the relegation rule should include div 1 & 2 as well? Make the whole comp groups of 6 for five round x 3 times for summer. It's the only true way to get the best ten teams in div 1 and the next 10 in div 2.

I can hear the pins drop now.......

Reply #300845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Fool,
The competition is a DISTRICT competition. This means the best kids from the DISTRICT competes in Div 1.

Reply #300850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL....

"The competition is a DISTRICT competition. This means the best kids from the DISTRICT competes in Div 1."

Which district?
If what you say is true then each kid would be zoned to play in their "DISTRICT" club not move from club to club, where certain clubs get players to travel across town, or from the country.

District in name only....

Who's the fool....

Reply #300852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all are, cos BSA won't enforce zones. What a friggin joke that a kid in Modbury plays for Sturt! Don't they have enough good players in Pasadena and Mitcham?

How many Norwould players actually live near MARS?

Reply #300853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree might as well close down the Rockets and start a new club at Golden Grove play from Rec centre. A rockets Falmes merger is the way to go.

Reply #300857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't agree with zone ie only play for one club. You should have an option of two in your zone. This will allow some choice as you often get problems, a fresh start can save everybody and not destroy a child's desire to play sport.

It will also breed some competition between the two closest zoned clubs.

Limit transfers between the two clubs only.

Reply #300861 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Great suggestion.

Reply #300862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Note: Last two posts from the same IP and computer, and within 32 seconds of each other.

Reply #300868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha owned,

Obviously a bad idea.

Let people decide where they want to play. Makes club either winge or do a better job.

Reply #300886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because its that simple

That's like saying anyone can play NBL or NBA if they work hard enough

If that was true we'd have 20 NBL clubs? Or is the problem that they don't work hard enough?

Takes more than hard work to become an elite basketballer.

Just as it takes more than hard work to become an elite basketball club.

Reply #300898 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

I would love to see all divs in a pro -relegation system as div 3 is during the summer season,then we would have killer comps,not this bizarre situation!

Reply #300908 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great suggestion

Reply #300910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with ringlord

Reply #300915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said ringlord! Only way to go!

Reply #300916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Isaac by any chance Julius Assange?

Reply #300922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You might mean Julian Assange.

Reply #300931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aha it is you,nice to know you visit our site!

Reply #300943 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Neither do I agree with zoning ie only play for one club.A while back we was in the position of having to move clubs. My boy is now a lot happier and more confident in his sport.Without the choice to start afresh he would have left basketball.You should have some choice.

Reply #300953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I only mentioned zones because when I suggested a relegation summer comp across all divisions, I was called a fool because it's the "Best kids in a district".
Which of course we all know to be a fallacy. The only way this could be true is if zones were in place.

The only way to be sure the best ten teams are in div 1 is if some clubs loose their precious spots to second sides of other club who are obviously stronger but play div 2.
I think you would actually find the teams relegated will find it easier to find and keep kids when they aren't being belted each week.
The Magic/Woodville situation is a good example of this. Woodville struggle but play Div1 While magic will never play Div 1 yet have strong representation.

Reply #300960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - do you think it is that or the huge differential in costs for playing for one of the clubs needing to field ABL teams v playing for a semi social team!!

Reply #301020 | Report this post

the only way new clubs should be allowed to start is if existing clubs are full.

the argument of what division you should be in should be purely performance based not what club.

ie national schools tournament, nunawading, classics - they are all results based and put you in a relevant division or whether you get an invite.

Reply #301036 | Report this post

zones are not on - our kids originally went out to our local district club.

what a joke,

coach did not roll up to games / training.
some other kids feral.
coach could not be bothered entering major tournaments.
club full of backyard operators only promoting their kids - so we had div 3 kids playing div 1 and div 1 level kids not encouraged.
no training venues organized.

so we went to another club with a proven track record - sure it meant playing in a division or two lower. But my kids stayed in the sport and learnt more from a club that has coaches, stays on the straight and narrow, accepts it's defeats and is realistic about what division it's junior teams should be in.

yes, it meant driving across town to join that club.
If my kids had been restricted by zones - they would have dropped out of basketball.

and they were happy playing in a lower div but getting more balanced games. Rather than some club clutching to an unrealistic ideal of where they think they should be and then not doing the yards to earn that spot.

Reply #301037 | Report this post

nix70  
Years ago

Uhh, "basketball in mankinis", Nunawading is not results based, nor does it require an invite. Minor point and not really relevant to your argument, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

Reply #301042 | Report this post

////////  
Years ago

correct what i was on about was nunawading A grade is aimed at div 1 teams that dont get accepted to classics. And when you apply you say what level of competition you are at and they put you in a relevant grade.

so the people that run the comp put you in a grade - ie so you cant put a div 3 standard of team in A grade at Nunawading

Reply #301044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think kids should try a club within their zone/locality first.My kid started in one of the big clubs only to be treated like shit by a volunteer parent coach who had the experience of my grandmother playing water polo.We then went to the club closest to us and never looked back,not to mention the old club wants my child back at the end of every season.Too late treat your players with respect and they wont leave in the first place.I know every club has their own story's this was just mine.

Reply #301088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Too late treat your players with respect and they wont leave in the first place"

This is the thing, whether it be a big or small club.
No need to zone if this happens. Only clubs who don't do this would want zoning!

Reply #301091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

091: what club do you belong to?

Reply #301097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will state again.
my original argument was not for zones but a relegation comp through all divisions. The argument against was that each "district" MUST have a div 1 team because it's the best kids from each district, to which I pointed out this is only true if zones are in place.
I don't want zones. My Kids would not be allowed to play at the club they are at if this was the case.
But to believe the present system puts the best kids in Div 1 is a fantasy. look at centrals and woodville in most age groups, there are Div 3 teams that would be just as competitive.

Reply #301141 | Report this post

there is not enough players, infrastructure or interest in zoning basketball in adelaide.

say for example you get adelaide hills - the players have no problem driving to adelaide - but if you get mt gambier, pt lincoln or west coast - are they going to drive to get a game - not.

best you could hope for is when they come to adelaide for work or uni.

who is going to scrutinize all this as well?

let's at least get pro / rel across the board for 5 years or so before anything

Reply #301243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering if it would be a good idea to let western magic start summer season in division 2 and if they are not up to scratch-put them down by the winter season.Only till and that is if pro/releg will be introduced at all levels/age groups!

Reply #301248 | Report this post

regardless of what club - the teams should be in relevant grades - ie if a team has greater than 175% or less than 35% already, or forfeiting games regularly - experience says they will only get better or worse and they will compound as the year goes on.

if western have proven good results in div 3 let them be in div 2. they can't "just start" in div 2 otherwise any person could start a team if they are unhappy with div 4 and put them in div 2.

you have to earn your stripes and do the hard yards.

Reply #301255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spot on mr Mankinis (so wrong :), but the movement needs to be from div 1 down not from div 2.

Reply #301282 | Report this post

do they still have Christmas in Div 3 ?

Reply #301498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no! I heard the have a pagan festival celebrating the solstice.

Reply #301511 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

we love our dies solis natalis invicti in the west!

Reply #301525 | Report this post

Years ago

last fortnight in march 2011 will tell

Reply #301624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well i am glad everyone agrees Magic should have a spot in div 1/2.

Reply #301737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 teams in one division from a club is a recipe for destruction and will kill off the smaller clubs. In a small town like Adelaide that might be the way to go with between 4 and 6 clubs tops.
BSA wants kids playing ball in any comp at any level with the long term hope that they will migrate to district level but basketball participation in district is too expensive and the facilities too dated to really attract and retain the numbers it already has.

Reply #301744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon the majority do not agree Magic should have team Div 1/2 teams.

In fact many, like me, believe Magic should not even exist.

And no I'm not from Woodville.

Reply #301748 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What has happened to Torrens Valley?

Reply #301751 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

U18 Girls. Norwood ... 4 teams in Div 2. Sturt ...3 teams as well. Probably same amount from F/Ville. Will there be a Div 3 Oomp in Winter?

Reply #301752 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Agreed Anon and I am not from woodville either.

Reply #301756 | Report this post

getting it done  
Years ago

no div 3 Oomp in winter - not enough div 3 teams - will combine and then split like they usually do.

Reply #301848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do district basketball fees compare with other major sports,anybody?

Reply #301871 | Report this post

getting it done  
Years ago

not just fees but look at costs all round - depends what you get for money - ie indoor playing conditions etc.

basketball is cheaper than some and more expensive than some.

what I would like to discuss is fees being staggered.

i know the fees cover court hire for trainings - but having been through the system. div 1s always had the best courts, best times, best facilities for training and the div 4s paid the same fees for dud times, stadiums with no gyms. I know div 1s are the best but i always would have liked staggered fees. we pais equal money but never got equal conditions. before anyone gets on my case - I know nothing in the basketball world is fair !

Reply #301895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not to mention div 3 and 4 coaches or uncle Ted and aunt Mary. Why isn't training on outdoor courts in Australia, cheaper and plentiful. Little change out of 750 buckaroos for district ball is out of line with some sports and has none of the perks.

Reply #301915 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

basketball costs are ok - knew a gymnastics family - trained 4-5 days a week across town - like anything voluntary it will take as much time and effort as you give.

Reply #302151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many club moves before winter starts ???

Reply #304559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754