Isaac
Years ago

Gleeson found not guilty by NBL Tribunal

The National Basketball League (NBL) Tribunal has found Townsville Crocodiles' head coach Trevor Gleeson not guilty of both charges against him and he will be free to lead his team in their next iiNet NBL Championship match against Gold Coast this Saturday night.

Gleeson was charged with 'Grabbing/Pushing/Mishandling Referee/Game Official’ and ‘Unsportsmanlike Behaviour’ after a match official reported him following an alleged incident in the second quarter of the Townsville versus Perth Wildcats game at Challenge Stadium in Perth on Sunday night.

Gleeson was found not guilty on both counts after a telephone hearing by NBL Tribunal Chairman Scott Derwin.
Scott Derwin:
As a result of the findings of not guilty, there are no penalties. However, Coach Gleeson is officially warned that he must do all in his reasonable power in the future to avoid any physical contact whatsoever with the game referees. It is incumbent on coaches to avoid such contact as it is very difficult for game referees to officiate the play as well as monitor coaches’ movements on the sidelines.

Topic #24484 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

Good call - Coach was not on the court and well with in his rights to stand where he was.

However yes he should have made an attempt to move which he did not.

Sounds like that was how the NBL interpreted the event.

Reply #299049 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

He didnt even attempt to apologise in the incident, he still stood there asking for an explanation he could have at least shown some sort of apologetic attitude. even if it was intentional the same result would have come back anyway, its not surprising.

Reply #299050 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not really an unexpected outcome really. I do feel though that Gleeson made not attempt to apologise for the matter at the time though as SRT070 points out.

Reply #299051 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was very minor contact, you get worse than that out shopping. I am not sure an apology was really needed.

Reply #299054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree - I think an apology shows signs of guilt and to be honest he didn't have much time to apologise on the night as the ref had his finger ejecting him in a split moment.

It reminds me a bit of the pros/cons of umpires sending of players in AFL. The ref got it wrong and penalised a team by ejecting a coach. It isn't a simple foul but an integral part of a team being unable to participate in error.

Reply #299061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL also support their Umpires and fine players for any contact with an umpire, even if it is the umpires fault.
A little shove by Greg Williams got him a 8 week ban, before the AFL even introduced their much tighter regulations..
so are you sure you want to use the AFL as your example!

Reply #299066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was using them as an example of what can happen if they have the power to eject or send off, not their rules on umpire contact which are ridiculous.

Just because you like one area of an organisation's policy doesnt necesaarily mean you have to like it all.

Reply #299072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call, However if you remove the power of the referees to eject then you get the situation where Alistair Lynch in his last game gets reported what 4 or 5 times for striking?

Im not sure what the perfect situation is? any ideas?

Reply #299082 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed. In basketball players can be replaced so it is a good power to have if the refs use it with discretion, which they almost always do. In Aussie rules it leaves teams a man down, so I wouldnt want the umpires who are under great stress from the amount of distance they have to cover to be able to make that call.

Reply #299093 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I dont think that the ref ejecting gleeson from the game was a mistake or a bad call. Ref was bumped, gleeson was yelling and screaming, now hopefully gleeson might learn when to shut the F**K up and take it on the chin. After the bump Gleeson could have shown a better attitude but it appeared he was still going on about the bad call.

Personally i think Referees with the power to eject players or coaches is a good thing. Anyone remember that chinese vs Brasil basketball game that ended in fights? not sure what the refs were doing but that coach should have been ejected. It avoids people getting too heated and staying on the court or bench where they can still vent there anger. let them go to the change room and vent i say. Thats why i think footy has its issues sometimes as some players get so fired up and the referees cant do anything about it. thats just my thoughts, i am opened to eye opening examples though

Reply #299105 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

LC & SRT070, he was found not guilty on both charges, what did he have to apologise for? He was found to be behind the line, he had a right to be there. The apology should come from the ref for getting it wrong.

Reply #299135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC no the apology should come from BA or Scott Derwin himself for getting it wrong.

And for in turn setting a precedence for all basketball games at all levels.

As long as you're standing where you're allowed to be referees are fair game to be bumped.

Great decision, another screw up from the ex-BA CEO.

Like he didn't do enough damage when he was running the place now this.

Reply #299143 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

What about the poor red in this situation
He clearly thought he was contacted by Gleeson unfairly so he tossed him out
Now we have him basically being told that he made the wrong call and Gleeson didn't do anything wrong, that's a great show of support for the refs
What happens this week when Gleeson continues with his BS, will the refs now be hesitant to make a call and control him or will they feel they can't?

While I don't think the AFL has their umpire contact policy 100% right I feel they are a lot closer to where it should be than the NBL seems to be.

Reply #299152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I much prefer the common sense approach of the NBL in most areas such as officiating and this instance where it really was a no blame incident, to the legal black or white approach of the AFL.

The NZ v Cairns game was a great advertisement for NBL reffing - 172 points scored at 52% and just 26 fouls called.

Reply #299155 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was meaning that given the circumstances, Gleeson could have at least made some effort to indicate it was all incidental contact - usually with something like that you would normally apologise immediately.

I agree, he should not be rubbed out at all for the incident.

Reply #299160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul that has more to do with the way teams and through them the coaches in a particular game play the game. The style the teams play.

Referees dont go, oh how about tonight we just go out and call as many fouls as possible.

They call what they need to call in order to keep the game under control.

If teams play extremely physcial and players break the rules then a game will have a lot of fouls. If teams shoot a lot of outside shots and play up and down fast moving basketball then there will be less fouls called. Because there are less fouls to call.

Those things are outside of the referees control. Yet they're always the only ones blamed.

Reply #299171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My opinion anon is that it's a bit of both. NZ and Cairns both played physical last night but the refs did a good job of letting the game flow and calling the obvious fouls. Some nights, just like players, refs get in the flow of the game and others they don’t. I have been critical of Geirsch this year but last night he was very good.

The point I was making is that the AFL has black and white interpretations for its umpires that often line up with how the game is actually played, and I like that the NBL gives its refs a bit more leeway than that. Sometimes that leads to shockers, but generally it leads to a more entertaining game than in leagues where the rules are implemented more rigidly.

Reply #299175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, did the ref get it wrong though? Gleeson was just cleared for manhandling the ref. I don't think there's been a comment made on whether the ejection was warranted or not.

Reply #299178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul the general fan sees a physical game, low amount of calls and makes a judgement that the referees made a decision to allow them to play.

Referee sees a physical game, low amount of calls and makes a judgement between physciality and breaking the rules.

That's how a referee's mind works. They take it to the next step. The general fan doesn't.

Reply #299179 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the reffing was the same night in, night out, or even play after play I would agree, but I dont think that's the case. I think they are human like everyone else and have some nights when they do their job better than others.

Reply #299184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course there are differences. Just like Adam Ballinger may play differently week to week.

And also just like how Adam Ballinger is different from Daniel Johnson.

Each referee is different, has a different skill set, has a different education background, has a different method.

But just as both Ballinger and Johnson have roles and goals that are the same (score more than the other team, rebound more than the other team and in the end win) so too do all referees.

But they have the same direction and the same goals. That doesn't change game to game person to person.

Reply #299194 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I still stand by the ref on this one that he made the right call. Spot on Isaac they cleared him from any further suspension but did not say the ref was wrong to make the call that he did. it just seems to be that being ejected from the game was enough of a punishment and didnt require any further suspension.

regardless hopefully now Gleeson learns to chill out a little (highly doubt it).

i didnt mean to say Gleeson should have ran up and given him a written apology but if you walk into someone on the street by accident immediately you turn show a bit of a hand gesture indicating you didnt mean to. Gleeson could have done that but instead he was still going on about the no call. and to me if you didnt intend to bump someone you can show through body language you didnt mean to and Gleeson didnt which to me suggests he didnt want to even try get out of the way of the refs.

Reply #299221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, but their effectiveness in achieving those goals changes from minute to minute, and game to game, as it does with players and people at work etc etc. Last night they were more effective at finding the balance between letting the game flow but maintaining it as an open contest.

Reply #299226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul we seem to agree.

I'm suggesting that others, particularly on this website would suggest that they change week to week on purpose.

Like they all get together and decide this week lets call more fouls.

Or as X seems to think, 40+ refs across the country all had a special meeting to decide to screw Freeman over.

I know it sounds crazy but in conversations I've read on here and I've had with people, some actually believe that is how referees think.

Reply #299227 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

SRT070, Gleeson didn't have time to apologise as Lyons was so quick to eject him. Once he had done that, there was no reason to apologise. If you have been thrown out of a game, when you believe you have done nothing wrong, why would you apologise to the person who made the error?

Paul and annon I agree, I don't think refs interpretation of the level of body contact that warrants a foul varies at all from one week to another, maybe just how they see the contact. But if you don't see something a certain way then no one should expect you to call a foul. I also agree that the officiating in last night's game was excellent.

Reply #299240 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

SRT070, pardon my ignorance if that is the case, but I thought it was found that Gleeson was actually outside the line when he bumped into the ref. Why do you think he owes any apologies at all when he was within his rights to be there. The call against him under those circumstances was incorrect and the apology needed to come from the ref.

So much talk also about the style of game and refs calling it different on different occassions. Excuse me, but the rules in basketball are very black and white, therefore the game shoud always be called in srict accordance with the rules. Who cares how the game is played, a foul is a foul whichever way you look at it. Given the fast pace of the game, there is no denying that a ref can miss something, or see it differently to how it actually is. Refs make mistakes. This time, the NBL acknowledged that a mistake has been made.

Isaac

EC, did the ref get it wrong though? Gleeson was just cleared for manhandling the ref. I don't think there's been a comment made on whether the ejection was warranted or not.

The NBL have made their call that the ejection was not warranted because the ejection was made as a result of the manhandling. How can you interpret it any other way?

Reply #299377 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i know this is a tad bit late
what was the guys name that kicked him out
i havent seen him since this incident is he still umpiring

Reply #334045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754