In the Know
Years ago

BASA cancels Players Insurance.

Well BASA have again out done themselves by cancelling Player Insurance for all District, Social and Miniball Competitions. As from today no player will be covered by the previous policy. I know that a lot of people have private health insurance but this is ridiculous. The things that BASA do to save money. Well done you have again down a great job! Oh by the way BASA, You increased fees through the door to cover the insurance premium, will you decrease the player entrance fee now that players are not covered? I doubt it!

Topic #2450 | Report this topic

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the BASA club cover was the same as this cover, provided by Horsell? Horsell seem to have a group deal with BA, and there is information on this site for all state basketball associations except for metropolitan SA.

Having said that, the cover for all other states seems to expire today too!

Another question - was the BASA insurance covered by stadium entry fees, or player registrations (paid to BASA by clubs on behalf of every member)?

Reply #27434 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

WOW Paul wee agree! Thats a bit scary isn't it?

Reply #27435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #27437 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Haha! In the know, you might be right. I'm writing down the date and time for posterity.

Reply #27439 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I would expect nothing less!

Reply #27440 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, It will be an interesting reply.

Reply #27442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another concern is the price of the enterance fee for social. These have again just been put up to $7.50 for a 40min game and players are told this $7.50 includes insurance coverage. Are they still covered and if not why are they being asked to pay more to play and not less?

Reply #27494 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

I think its important to understand that it is only the "Sports Injury" part of the insurance that has gone.
The public liability aspect is still in place. So when someone finally falls through the floor of Pasadena they will still have a claim.

Reply #27496 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

isnt that dangerous cancelling the insurance as if some one hurts them self playing wont they be able to sue BASA who are now un-insured for it, and if so that will end up costing them more i reckon

Reply #27507 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Facts -- wouldn't public liability insurance be compulsory anyway?

Public liability insurance protects BASA. Sports injury insurance protects the players, unless I'm mistaken. Not sure how the change is in the best interests of anyone but BASA themselves, but I guess that's the point.

Reply #27510 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Any ideas C-WEBB?

Reply #27541 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

well this is not a surprise for some, the umpire insurance was effectively cancelled middle of 2004, could this be also an indicative factor of why less and less umpires are showing up, and if so, will this trend continue with player?

Reply #27586 | Report this post

cwebb  
Years ago

What are you asking me Skyhook?

Reply #27590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know of an instance where the old insurance actually paid out to cover player injuries. I know of one case during a district game where a player was taken to hospital via ambulance and although the parents were informed that the insurance would pay nothing ever came of it.

Reply #27616 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

C-WEBB

Insurance IS your field of expertise ... care to shed any inside knowledge?

Reply #27618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754