new name please
Years ago

CJ Massingale

Can someone please tell me why clubs in the NBL continue to pass on the best import in the SEABL and continue to bring out a bunch of highly paid chumps.Just look at the Hawks, no fanfare,no egos, simple offence, players who know there roles and bingo....

Topic #24517 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"no fanfare,no egos, simple offence" and a highly-paid import leading the league in scoring?

Reply #299653 | Report this post

curious!!!  
Years ago

bahahahahahahaha! burn!!!!! hahahah!!!

Reply #299656 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The transition between SEABL and NBL is significant. One team's Star player in SEABL is a bench-warmer in the NBL.

If he is THAT good, no doubt he's being overlooked for a good reason. Probably because there are better players out there.

Reply #299657 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Can we afford to bring in Bonzi Wells for the rest of the season?

Reply #299660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying Massingale wouldn't be able to perform at NBL level - I don't know, haven't seen him play - just that the Hawks didn't exactly pick up a SEABL import to quarterback their team.

Reply #299661 | Report this post

get a new name  
Years ago

Ervin a highly paid import this year, not this year but maybe next.Hawks dont pay great money for there imports compared to other clubs.How many imports have we gone through this year....I have no association with Knox but have watched imports over 20 years and are currently helping a SEABl club with there import big man.Why not trial him and see what they think then.

Reply #299667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks have one cheaper import (Gruber) and Ervin who I'd guess to be mid-range. I wouldn't consider him especially cheap, not SEABL level anyway.

Does Massingale have an agent? Has he called clubs or volunteered to fly out to train with teams?

BTW, please pick a new alias.

Reply #299668 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Ervin is easily the Hawks highest paid player. They seem to structure their budget that way.

I think Massingale has been trialled before hasnt he? I reckon he could definitely do a job somewhere, most teams have one import who is a role player. Adelaide need a gun though as they dont have the local talent (yet).

Reply #299673 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

don't know him personally, but CJ's a real baller. this guy knows how to pour in buckets. for the price some clubs paid their import that never performed, CJ would probably be a cheaper and better option.

I think it's definitely worth most clubs to take a look at him instead of flying guys out from US and cost more money, why not try somebody that's already in Australia?

I think given the chance CJ will perform pretty well in NBL level.

Reply #299675 | Report this post

DB  
Years ago

I am from the knox area and seen CJ play dozenes of times. To be honest, I have no idea why he doesn't get a gig in NBL. The guys averages 25pt per game (over 5 years) and led SEABL in scoring, and saw him drop 45 in three quarters last year.

He is definitely a baller, only weakness is turnovers. Can dribble, penetrate, dish and score but I think his biggest problemis his persona. Relatively quiet and not showy so doesnt sell himself enough I think.

Looking at the imports this year. He would be in top 5 for imports. Big time player, and can shoot the lights out and plays good D.

Aussie execs want overseas players cuz of the hype and prestige that they get for "signing a promising overseas player". They get the kudos for supposedly getting the overseas junket trip.

Sign the guy!!! Adelaide would love him!

Reply #299676 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think if he stays at the 2 spot and doesn't have the duty of carry the ball up the court, his turnovers will be down. because CJ's a scorer, yeah...scorer

Reply #299680 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with LA Boy...I have seen him play twice and he looks like a real talent and definitely knows how to fill it up. Givena chance he could be a real solid import in the NBL.

Reply #299683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the hype is that big of a deal. Clubs want to win first and foremost. If hype was that important, Homicide would still be in Townsville. Storey played NBA and would still be in NZ. And so on.

Reply #299686 | Report this post

change your name!  
Years ago

I think all we saying is give the guy a trial and see what you think. Signing good imports is a tough gig especially when you have limited time and budget available.You have to look at height and weight because pacific shrink can come in two different ways,past injuries,what leagues have they played in and were they strong ones, what are they like off the court and the list goes on and on.What you definately dont do is listen to agents spruik there own player.Not all agents are the same but there are some better than others.Warren Sports International has had a good track record in this country with players.

Reply #299687 | Report this post

Dud  
Years ago

Have watched cj for 4 years and he deserves a chance to play NBL. For starters he must be close to being naturalised too as has played in australia for a while. He is more a shooting guard than a pont guard though but can play both. Has very good three point range and can put points on the board very quickly. he scored 40 points on the SEABL defensive player of the year Quincy henderson in last years finals.

Might just lack a bit of height to play SG. He is the type of guy adelaide would want though as a person. he takes heaps of kids clinics and the kids love him. This in turn helps to put bums in seats at knox games and kids want to see him play.

Definately better than winder and many of the chump nbl imports this season. As stated would be half the cost too probably.

Reply #299691 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

How tall is he?

Reply #299698 | Report this post

Dud  
Years ago

6'3 but he does have a very nice leap.

Reply #299706 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Let's sign Ron Nunnelly!!

Reply #299707 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Ron Nunnely .. now there's a name, never passed up a shot he didn't like.

Now we are going retro and SEABL how bout Lester Fonville?

OR Willie Jeanette (hang on did he play for the Gold Coast Rollers?)

Reply #299710 | Report this post

Scotty G  
Years ago

What about Bobby Locke.Hes coaching in Chicago or Jeff Bickmore whos coaching in California or Mike Kelly whos coaching college ball or what about Troy Mulienberg.....

Reply #299723 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

CJ arrived in Melbourne a week ago so would be very easy to get now as well. Amy Denson was Knox's female import and she is doing very well in the WNBL.

Reply #299729 | Report this post

hoopz  
Years ago

I have had the luxury of seeing CJ play over the years..

It is baffling to know CJ has not gotten atleast a trial from many NBL clubs, considering his accomplishments in a league that host so many NBL platyers..

he is at worst the size of the average perimeter player in the NBL. 6'3-6'4 fairly atheletic that can shoot the lights out!! strong enough to handle bigger guards defensively in the post also.. Has torched some of the prefmier defensive guards in the NBL.. scoring is definately not the issue maybe some can argue defensively he doesnt put enough emphasis but it is evident that he can play D and usually handles the opposing teams best player.. probably not a strenght to quarterback a club but definately releive some pressure at PG if needed.

Erving is a stud and there are plenty of imports that play their roles well on their team.. But you have to ask some of these GMs why not take a chance on a guy in the country and familar with the country/hoops.. low risk high reward!!

he is in Melbourne's back yard and he is flat out better than Cambell and devendorf period.. The jump from SEABL can be significant but not for a player that has been here and played for years CONSISTENTLY.. I would say it would be an easier transistion as he has played with or against a percentage of NBL players.. $300 plane ticket with ample resources of what he can and cant do and have seen him play plenty in person oppose to an agents word, game tape, few games waisted to get accustomed and a couple grand for a flight..

The issue can be an ongoing debate but obviously he hasnt done enough to get a gig.. Altho it seems like most of us agree given a shot he would do well.. He would be a cheap import with the possibility of becoming a citizen in a short time, imagine him as a local, that should be enough incentive for ATLEAST a trial..

Reply #299730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed. And he also doesnt have to adjust to the reffing. I thought he would have been a good signing for the Blaze, but Hudson has been a decent fit for them too. I think the key for CJ is to get naturalised and then he will certainly get a gig.

Reply #299734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something about him obviously concerns coaches though when you have 10* imports getting replaced this year and no one appears to have shown serious interest in him. Why hasn't he paid his own way to train with Melbourne and try to prove himself?

*Not a whole lot of those 10 were pitched as SGs though, but Massingale hasn't just been in AU this season.

Reply #299735 | Report this post

hoopz  
Years ago

LOL paid his way to Melbourne, Knox is a suburb in melbourne..

Isaac are you in tune with the discussion, that is the point, whether he has been to a training or not, there is obvious reluctance.. Agreed of all the imports being released and him not being a considered replacement warrants there must be something he has done or hasnt done..

The arguement isnt is better than Hudson or Erving rather doesnt he deserve a shot being an accomplised player in Australia.. give or take he would be just as productive role player/import or a stud like Erving.. The benefit is he is here, would be cheaper overall and you would have a possible local with import capabilities in years time..

I am an avid bball fan not biased just truthfully opinionated.. Of all the stuff I heared about the kid he is a stud on and off the court, that has been labeled a great SEABL player.. Being the reason why NBL teams have shown minimal interest!! by the sounds of it yes he has been out of the country playing elsewhere as who would waste their talent waiting on a call from the NBL..

Reply #299737 | Report this post

panamax  
Years ago

He is good enough just needs a chance. Petrie played SEABL for years before he got a shot. Gruber and Mike Kelly also did there time in SEABL and they handled the NBL

Reply #299738 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

CJ certainly is a player worth looking at. He is a proven match winner who has played some dominating games against opposition teams loaded with nbl players. Some people actually go and watch him play, i know my son does. With a lot of same old same old boring players running around in the nbl, they could do a lot worse.

Reply #299740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hoopz, as in showed interested, showed up free, trained free, etc. There is a supposed import prospect in one city who won't train/trial with the local team unless he is paid, insured, etc. Wrong attitude. Doubt you'd get paid to try out in most leagues.

Reply #299741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoopz Knox is NOT a suburb of melbourne, its a council ; )

Reply #299820 | Report this post

C&S4  
Years ago

CJ Massingale.......Pfffft. You have got to be kidding. Plays zero D and takes 25+ shots to get 30 in SEABL!! Thats why he isnt in the league.

Reply #299897 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

CJ has good numbers at SEABL, but wont play hard on both ends, NBL would be to physical for him.Could'nt stop a bus!Every one in the SEABL knows that!

Reply #299900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no d and will always get his points to the detriment of the team Talented, but to go to that next level would mean hard work

Reply #299901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Detriment of team? Knox have one of the best win/loss records in the seabl since they got Massingale. Sometimes you just need a scorer as well. I mean what exactly did Winder bring to the team besides poor shot selection, unable to play PG and crap import? He would of destroyed Marty clarke's ais teams a few times over the past few years.

Reply #299989 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

and yet Marty didn't sign him even though he has seen him in person. What does that tell you about Massingale?

Reply #299994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox also had quality Aussies in Mick Hill, Rigby and Sean Carroll so Knoxs win loss with Cj means nothing!! They picked up all the deficiencies he had in his game!

Reply #300142 | Report this post

Years ago

CJ Massingale is one of the best players in SEABL, and he definitely should get a shot at being one of the imports. He is a two-time SEABL MVP, is a champion, is a superb penetrator, is a very good shooter, and an exceptional rebounder at his position. I think he can be a lead scoring guard for a SEABL team as he can bring it up and score at will, pretty much whenever he wants to. He gets opposing big men in foul trouble really often, because he has great savvy, scoring ability, know-how, and the ability to take it to the rim.

A few reasons why teams may not elect to sign him because he's only 6-3, is not a natural, pass-first point guard, doesn't seem to have outstanding visual athleticism, and has been in SEABL for quite awhile. However, Massingale is a savvy veteran who'd be easily be able to score 20 points a game in the NBL, provide instant offense, and continually finds ways to get to the basket to score, and finds ways to get his shots up without any problems. This past year, he averaged 25.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, and is a very good three-point shooter currently. Not many players at 6-3 rebound as well as he does, which is an accomplishment in itself, which add to his ability to close games down the stretch in playoff games, in which he scored 41 points in a narrow playoff win over Kilsyth, where he scored 18 4th quarter points.

For now, it looks as though CJ will be a folk hero in SEABL, and perhaps not much more than that. He's competed against the likes of Isma'il Muhammad, Ivan McFarlin, Nathan Crosswell, Ash Cannan, Daniel Dillon, and Brandon Polk, and has came away with MVP awards and a SEABL title. Whether he gets a gig at the NBL probably will be unlikely. But, I can say, Massingale is pound for pound the best scorer in the SEABL game today, and is one of the best scorers in SEABL history.

Realistically, I don't think he'll get a shot, because teams think he's too small. I hope I'm wrong, because I want him to help represent SEABL by reaching it to the NBL and if he gets there, I wish him well. He does find ways to impress people every time through. I think his performance and ability to lead winning teams should speak for itself. If he'd get a shot in the NBL, he'd be like the NBL version of Allen Iverson/Baron Davis, or if he comes off the bench, he'd be in the Barbosa, or Gilbert Arenas role for Orlando. Perhaps I'm optimistic, but I think he's really good. Realistically, NBL teams are hesitant to give him a shot, and it looks as though he may be a SEABL lifer to no fault of his own, but SEABL fans are in for a treat to be able to watch him every game live in person, playing well for a winning basketball team.

Reply #309401 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

To True, well said guest.

Reply #309405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754