SRT070
Years ago

When is the new Sixers import to be announced

sorry to be one of those people that has no patience in this situation, but if the sixers want any chance of the new import playing by Friday, which is unlikely already, then dont they need to sign the guy up and get the paper work under way?

i did read they were not as far down the road with signing the next import as they were with Shannon, by that im guessing they mean agreeing on contractual terms and conditions and probably modifying accordingly? Does anyone in the know have some sort of update? is the first guy on the list negotiating or are we down to the second? does anyone know when the announcement will be made?

i know im asking a lot but i have zero patience with this sort of thing.

Topic #24522 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

SRT070!

I'm a bit impatient and would like to know some answers too. You're not the only one mate.

I'd like to know more too.

Reply #299774 | Report this post

(;0)  
Years ago

i would say there would have been some late nights recently in the 36ers front office. Phones and internet doing overtime. We would have to expect something over the next week.

Reply #299775 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Can't really announce when it will be announced if they don't have anyone to announce yet.

I would highly doubt they will even be in the country by Friday, let alone playing. In fact I doubt they will play until the NYE game.

Reply #299777 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Usually there are already candidates on hand when the previous import is let go. I can't honestly see Devries being cut unless they already had interested parties lined up.

Just hold your horses and let things be. It's not like we are in desperate need of an import. You've already got Carter to fill the PG void and can rotate Shannon round, or visa versa. Nothing too much to worry about.

Reply #299778 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Big Marty, how many games have the Sixers won? how many games left in the season?

Reply #299781 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Yeh its not that im worried, and i know the sixers now have a pretty strong team as it is but i was just interested if there has been any news. and i understand that you cant announce someone that isnt signed up. I dont know i guess im just wanting some sort of update. they made it seem like he will be playing next thursdays game rather than this friday, but even then thats a really close deadline to meet. so id expect an announcement this week if he is to suit up before christmas.

Reply #299782 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just noticed on Twitter that the Crocs were going to announce someone today but have pushed the announcement back until tomorrow.

Reply #299783 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

A little Birdy told me to expect some news shortly ;)

Reply #299784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they will announce him a fortnight before they cut him,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply #299785 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

E, cheers for the hot tip. out of curiosity what is shortly though? a couple of hours, days?

Reply #299786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a player who has agreed to sign in principle, just got to sort out some other issues to getting him here.

Reply #299787 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Interesting choice to cut DeVries before a replacement is stitched up.

I'm assuming there'd have to be some protocol involved in terms of replacing an import that prevented us from keeping Troy on court until a new player arrives? Doesn't make sense to me otherwise - why go an import down for a game or two?

Reply #299793 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Mystro, was that a "you don't actually no" question, or are you of the general assumption that no team is capable of winning without 2 imports?

Carter was capable from day 1 to be the Starting PG on the team and frankly has helped win those few we have this year and certainly helped keep the team in the close losses we've had.

Anyone in the Sixers team can plug 10ppg; Consider Winder/Devries only averaged about 20ppg between them each game, that space could have been filled rather easily... say Balls getting more shots and increasing his totals; more focus on set players rather than "Import 'delusions of grandeur'" that cost us so many games this season.

Seriously if you're that desperate to plug the void with an import, at least let the team make a good decision rather than "filling the void with whatever is at arms length".

Reply #299794 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Loco - The last game he played, he was more of a negative on the team. Possibly makes more sense to play without him.

Reply #299795 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Hmm. Tough call Skip, but probably fair enough. Decision making left a little to be desired I guess.

I agree with Marty's belief that a game winner is vital - we've let too many W's slip in the clutch over the last couple years.

I miss Brett.

*tear*

Reply #299810 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big Marty, bit of both really.
the Sixers have come pretty close a few times this season to walk away with a W instead of a L. Sure Shannon/Carter is going to be solid at PG but Balls and DJ and after the last game NG, are the only players to really get to the rim or knock down the shot and put points on the board and they need help and it is going to have to come in the form of the new import. At least you have young Mitch Creek coming in, can't wait to see him go at it.
I do agree that you don't just want anyone to fill the void and that your current players are capable of getting wins (just get the ball into Ballinger) but we are well into the season so any changes must come with a bit of urgency especially as you want the team to have a chance to gell and get some chemistry between the new guys and the core of the team.

Reply #299811 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

9 games into a 28 game season? Not exactly late in the day to be replacing your second import.

Makes this team look massively proactive compared with previous years, with 19 games still to come for the team to make a push for the finals.

Reply #299815 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Not to mention after the next three rounds, all of which are home games, the rest of the season looks like this:

-10 road games
-6 home games

so they really do need to convert the away games to wins if they are serious about making a run for the finals.

Reply #299818 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Good points there Mystro.

Unfortunately I'm running along the edge of what Marty Clarke's new philosophy.

Yes, the import can be brought in quick to fill a void... BUT, the only mainstay the team has had so far this season is the core Aussie group. I personally think DJ, Dowdell and Carter have been the rocks for this team.

The scenario is: You've lost 2 imports. You have one who is willing to play the general and pass first. Your team has a philosophy of building a youthful core team (ala the Dunlap Years). With your 2nd import gone do you:

A) Use the chance to get more experience and time out of the young players and experiment with lineups you might user 1-2 seasons from now.

or

B) Plug the hole with another import and hold off for 1-2 seasons before implementing option A.

I would strongly consider option A myself because imports have lacked but truthfully beyond the likes of Hill having random performance spurts (no double entendre's plz) you have a consistent team.

Reply #299823 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I find the Perth philosophy to imports interesting
which KB has pointed out on numerous occasions,

play half a season with just one import,
work out your strengths and weaknesses depending on how you go in that first half of the season,

and then recruit your second import mid season depending on your needs e.g. experience, or whatever.

Reply #299827 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Today or Tomorrow if all goes well

Reply #299828 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

sweet thats good news E. if your correct on this one i think that puts you on 3 from 3? i cant remember if you called the Winder sacking, but you did call the Devries sacking.

Reply #299835 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

E is he a black or white import

Reply #299852 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

good question glen

would take saunders from Sydney in a heartbeat but the other import looked pathetic

Reply #299861 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Didn't get any names, just that they are very close to terms.

Apparently 2 guys have been on the radar since before Winder was sent packing.

At one point it looked like Devries and Winder may have gone together.

Fingers crossed for 3 from 3

Reply #299866 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

agree Wayne, only his first game but he looked like he was just playing to fill time in while his Mrs was doing the grocery shopping

Reply #299885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I've been told is he is a black guy plays shooting guard and he should be here by friday but not in time to play friday night

Reply #299886 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

E, according to Boti this morning Richard Hill said they are very close to signing him and it should be done today and announced. so the 3 from 3 is a good as yours.

you now have a standard to hold!

Reply #299893 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Swish!

Reply #299946 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have heard a name. If it's the right guy, he's a slashing SG/SF with range (or at least the inclination to take some threes). Seems like a decent guy from the video/interview I've seen and read.

Reply #299957 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How long do you think Isaac before his name is released to the public?

Reply #299959 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Isaac, you cant just drop that kind of info and not give at least a surname??

Reply #299960 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

A clue perhaps? :-)

Reply #299964 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Isaac!!! At least tell me whether skip will call him a guard or a forward!

Reply #299969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If I gave you a surname I might as well announce it. Not sure when the club will announce him.

Reply #299972 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh the surname bit of my comment was sarcastic, ofcourse it would give it away.

Isaac could you give us atleast his age? im have been curious if we are going to go down the vet road or some younger blood.

cheers

Reply #299978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or tell us who he used to play for, and if you know then the sixers administration must leak like the titanic

Reply #299981 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon, i think its more so that he has good friends on the sixers board and they know he wont go on here and blurt it out to us in turn jeopardising his relationship with them. Mates generally dont do that to mates if they do then they arent mates for much longer.

Reply #299986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Under 30.

Anon, knew Eddie Shannon before it was announced because Anstey was dropping enough hints beforehand. I think Creek leaked his own signing too. Not always something under the club's control.

SRT, didn't hear the name from anyone at the 36ers.

Reply #299988 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

and thats why i shouldnt assume! they just need to announce it already, the wait is annoying. judging by how long its taking im guessing he definitely isnt playing on friday, that would be one hell of a miracle

Reply #299990 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

any more news?

Reply #299996 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

"When a door shuts look for an open window"

Isaac - was that in the video you have seen?

Reply #300010 | Report this post

Oiiiiii  
Years ago

Happy days will soon be here again for Sixers

Reply #300014 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

anyone know when it will be announced?

Reply #300023 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

New import Ron Howard.... 196cm shooting guard.

Reply #300026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ron Howard?

Reply #300027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got a sms from sixers it is ron howard

Reply #300029 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Oiiiiii knew and gave the clue.
Thought I heard Ben singing 'Happy days are here agen'
staring Ron Howard.

Reply #300038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754