C&S4
Years ago

36ers Coaching staff

People are quick to criticise coaches and in some cases fair enough. In the 36rs case hold up! The 36rs now have 2 of the best TEACHING coaches in the NBL. Take a look around the league and compare, half should not even be coaching. There is a difference between good motivators and good teachers! New culture,new system and new players. 36rs fans have patience these two guys will deliver.

Topic #24530 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

so whats your point/question? I'm not sure what your getting at

Reply #299902 | Report this post

C&S4  
Years ago

It's not a question! Point is criticsm of recruiting, game style, win/loss etc. General comparison to other coaches in the league.

Reply #299905 | Report this post

Ganymede 64  
Years ago

There are three world class coaches in the NBL. Rob Beveridge, Gordie McLeod and Marty Clarke.

Reply #299909 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Agreed Ganymede 64!coaching is about developement and improvement not how much money you have,36ers and Hawks both have limited $$$, 36ers are young, Hawks have some old heads, but both are improving. Thats what good coaching can get you.

Reply #299912 | Report this post

C&S4  
Years ago

Agreed ganymede 64. Beveridge and Mcleods teams the two best in the league, systems in place and virtually unchanged over the last couple of years. Marty is quality and Radford is a chamionship assistant, they will improve that club.

Reply #299914 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh its good to not see people calling for the coaches head, however i think everyone only called for ninnis because he was just making some poor decisions last season.

sixers will definitely go along way in the near future, some people just have unrealistic expectations and expect a championship right here right now. it will be good to win a championship without going bust at the end of the season though, its gonna be good watching this team grow.

Reply #299917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your contributions to this thread Mrs Clarke and Mrs Radford ...

Reply #299923 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Marty and Mark have done well so far since the Phi/steve days,Sixers will do better in next few years, i believe a grand Final appearance within 4 years.

Reply #299929 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Fearne is doing an excellent job.

Reply #299932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm not so sure.. i think we need to decide whether we are in a teaching phase or a stage where we will play old heads to try and win.. if we are in this teaching phase then i cant work out why we persist in playing holmes... to me it would make more sense to start johnson and creek.. seems they would learn a lot more that way.. not from the 11 minutes johnson had last game..

Reply #299941 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

lemanis anyone?

Reply #299943 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Exactly, teaching the game of basketball and improving your players and teams is what coaching is all about, and Clarke and Radford appear very good, look at the improvement in Dowdell for an example, Hill also appears a bit more steadier than he used to.

I was watching a basketball vid a few weeks ago about young americans building a career after college, i forget what its called, it had Robert Johnson (college player graduating) and Bennet Davison was also in it, he was playing in Europe and going to summer leagues in the NBA to try and get a contract and they interviewed a coach from somewhere in Europe (from memory he was american) and i think the best thing he said was something along the lines of

'coaching is all about the kids and making each player better and better every week, some coaches get too caught up in winning and losing but its all about the kids and if the kids improve the other stuff takes care of itself'

I was like Amen

Reply #299951 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Im sure that anyone that coaches knows you improve at practice, then put it into a game situation. Im very confident coach Clarke knows exactly where DJ is at in his developement, good player DJ,great player soon.

Reply #299952 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Im not sure if lemanis is, he definatly has the money we know that, or he can make 1 Million go a long way, Might be the exchange rate helping him out!

Reply #299955 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Was a tough matchup for Johnson trying to chase Davidson out to the three point line. I imagine he will get more minutes this week against Sydney. The week before against Townsville's 'traditional’ bigs he got plenty of minutes.

Reply #299958 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I also like the fact that I believe the coaching staff have told their players to play in the SBL this season coming to continue their development under their wacthful eyes. Should make for a tough SBL if they are spread across teams.

Reply #299979 | Report this post

C&S4  
Years ago

I think Johnson is a good talent, not many mobile 7ftrs like him. He is young and part of recruiting him i imagine would be where he will be in 2 years time. Creek speaks for himself so the future looks bright. Holmes?? yeh i agree but i wouldnt throw the young guys to the wolves too early!!

Reply #299983 | Report this post

C&S4  
Years ago

Lemanis has a squad but I'm suspect till his team makes some noise in the playoffs.

Reply #299984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll just say this, this was from my old man who knows bugger all about basketball when watching the Hawks/36ers game last Friday night, "why did that new 36ers coach take the best player off that big white guy in the 4th quarter when he was playing well?".

I must admit so far (and it is early days) Clarke leaves a bit to be desired. I know he's never coached pro's and men before and I think that and his lack of media ability (he's taken a few shots at Sixers fans in the paper already this season) are being shown up a bit. In saying that he hasn't done a bad job so far as you can only work with the cattle you have.

Reply #300013 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

There is a vision for SA basketball, not just the 36ers. Well done coaches, development in the off season, everyone wins.

Reply #300021 | Report this post

bigdan  
Years ago

johnno did you just state that hill has improved which game were you at l have seen better basketball brains in a butchers shop than in hill .as for the coach as gaze said why would you take some one like balls out when he was red hot is beond logic.in saying all this what a great game at the gong

Reply #300054 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Paul I agree about Fearne. The silent achiever.

Reply #300073 | Report this post

vesta 15  
Years ago

marty clarke is real good.. had patty mills, joe ingles, nathan jawai, aaron baynes, stevie weigh and AJ ogilvy all on the same team and couldnt win the SEABL

Reply #300215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before they played pro...

Reply #300221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How many SEABL championships has the AIS won?

Reply #300224 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Not enough if they're supposed to be our best kids from around the country and most go to good college programs in the US straight afterwards. I agree, Marty Clarke had NBA and Euro League players a year or two before they were stars, should've won the SEABL with that talent

Reply #300230 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

vesta 15 and john = same IP *and* same computer. Of course you agree...

Shall I save you the 'but we're two people sharing a computer' reply?

Reply #300236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha BUSTED!

Reply #300241 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hill is a little steadier than last season.
Clearly sensing he was gonna be told to do push ups, for mistakes at training, he raced over and did 'em, anyways, during a play. . made me laugh.

A good teaching coach, obviously.
I confess the subs are an enigma to me.

Made the very tough calls on Winder, DeVries and followed up earlier contacts - Howard Shannon Bogut and the like - impressive.

Reply #300279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754