Anonymous
Years ago

Who has been your favourite coach & why ?

Interested in your view

Topic #24541 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth by a country mile. When he spoke you could tell he had the respect of his players and they wanted to play for him. Also made the game simple which is the way it should be IMO. Too many times coaches try and complicate the game and it shouldnt be that way. All those Championships were not by fluke.

Reply #300069 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree,Phil Smyth for me too, i think he was taken for granted a bit towards the end of his career, anyone who wins 3 titles in 10 years can coach, especially the effort of 2002!

I've also seen him on Inside the Game with KB a few times over the past couple of years and KB seems to have a great respect for Phil, which is a sign of a good coach!

Reply #300088 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Well, is this about 36ers or coaches in general? Need to be more specific.

Reply #300097 | Report this post

Daisyxoxo  
Years ago

It IS posted in "juniors" so I assume it's about junior coaches players have had in their time.

Reply #300099 | Report this post

de22  
Years ago

Great, so now let's sit back and see who is the first junior coach to post an 'anonymous' comment claiming that they were someone's favourite.

Reply #300105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Nyberg

(ow, wait, oops, you got me)

Reply #300123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth won because of the quality of the players he had not because of his coaching! Anyone could have coached the championship sides he had. They ran too much open motion and when the the rest of the league made adjustments and players dropped off he could not coach structure and got found out!

Reply #300124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stick to junior coaches please - let's not make this about Phil.

Reply #300126 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Are we allowed to use his name now Isaac?

Reply #300135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terry Aston back in the 80's ran the original version of SASI. Training twice a week, at Apollo stadium. Fantastic coach, incredible knowledge, great relationship with players and sat on the West Bearcat NBL bench as an assistant at the same time. He influenced many great juniors who went on to the AIS and NBL.

Reply #300141 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

....if the thread was titled LEAST favourite coach and why, now that would make some entertainment.....

Reply #300146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FM, it's been unblocked for quite a while. In this case though, unless he coached you in juniors, let's leave him out of it to avoid it distracting the thread.

Reply #300153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Least favourite? Easily Dean Nyberg.

Reply #300155 | Report this post

bryan  
Years ago

ken richardson, he was so relaxed it was frightning,, and instilled so much self belief in his players

Reply #300208 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Dean Whitford. Class coach and class person.

Reply #300303 | Report this post

laughing  
Years ago

Any coach sacked by a southern president.
Boy that makes for a very long list

Reply #306002 | Report this post

Imno  
Years ago

Best Coach/Mentor I've known is Mike Spears

fantastic with kids from tinnies to teens

great holiday programs that attracted hundreds

a pity BBA let him go - their loss

Reply #306012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754