mystro
Years ago

Breakers Vs Hawks

Breakers take the win to end the Hawks winning streak at home (15wins) and go top of the table with a 9-2 record.
Kirk Penney looks to be back to his best (or at least getting close to it) with 22 points while Gary Ervin had a game high 31 points with 16 of those coming in the last 10mins as he tried to carry his team to a win, the guy can flat out play no doubt.
Tough place to get a win and then factor in how well the Hawks have been playing and you get one happy Breakers outfit.
New Zealand now head to Melbourne to take on the Tigers who are 2-8 so far this season. The Breakers bench is going to have to step up and take some pressure off Wilkinson,CJ and Penney after that tough Hawks game but there is more than enough depth there to do it. Didn't see much of Abercrombie in the box score Vs the Hawks so I'm guessing he should be reasonably fresh for the Tigers and i would expect a fair bit of the offense to go through his hands with that Scout at the game.

Topic #24559 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

A lot of players contributing for the Breakers. Penney and Wilkinson starting to make their mark.
We look awfully powerful offensively and defensively we are more than holding our own. Good signs.
Hawks have to control the pace of the game and they were not able to do that in the 3rd.

Reply #300531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure why Centrebet had the Breakers at $2.20 or whatever it was (which I took) - home court advantage, win streak, etc - that was going to end eventually and this was the most dangerous opponent in the league IMO.

Interesting to see the Hawks (who normally fire up in third quarters) get the same treatment applied to them.

Reply #300535 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Abercrombie of the Pittsburgh Pisces NBL Fantasy team has fallen off the planet. Not getting looks or opportunities, scored only 2 points last night. Interesting times ahead for a guy who looked MVP-calibre with the ball in his hands. Me's thinking if they don't take care of the young gun, he could walk at season's send. As for his NBL Fantasy gig with the Pisces, it's curtains for the young fella if he doesn't pull one out against the Tigers. Can't carry a passenger for too long.

Reply #300548 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers match up well with the Hawks and having all those guards at NZ's disposal would have been handy with the Hawks sporting the best PG in the league offensively.
Bill, your spot on about the Breakers defence holding their own, massive improvement over previous years, Penney's D looks to be a lot more solid

Reply #300550 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Moses, after Abercrombies form at the WC's I expect him to play in Europe next year regardless of how the Breakers go.

Reply #300559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crucial referee mistake cost the hawks a shot at winning this one. 3 points down Gary took it to the rim and after picking the ball up for his layup vukona knocked it out. Gary regathered the ball and took another dribble for a reverse layup which he made and got fouled on. It was waved off with the furthest umpire from the play calling a double dribble. Devo.

Reply #300568 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

What a croc not televising this game & making us watch Sydney!

Reply #300580 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

No Orbits, crocs was playing in the other,other game last night.

Reply #300582 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

As nice as it was to see the Sixers and Mitch Creek play, I'm gutted they didn't televise this game.

Reply #300584 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im happy that the hawks got beat and would have been good to see on TV. im mainly happy because i didnt want the hawks taking the longest home winning streak from the sixers. one record we can hopefully hold onto for now!

Reply #300601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Abercrombie looks to suffer when Penney is in the team. Maybe not enough room for both of them?

Reply #300685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754