Quagmire
Years ago

Magic- Suns - Wizards trade

Details;

Magic and Wizards straight swap of Arenas and Lewis.

Magic and Suns swap Gortat, Carter and Pietrus for J-Rich and Hedo.

Notes;

Nelson nervous in Orlando now that Agent Zero is in town?

Who will back up Howard when he gets into foul trouble???

J-Rich and Hedo are perfect fits for the Magic.

In two Years the Wizards will have the Lewis contract off the books and can build around Wall and Javal.

Gortat great for the Suns, Lopez to the bench.

Carter will love not having to play D in Phoenix.

Magic and Wizards are big winners.

Suns really are looking for future with salaries to dump and retirement of Nash...

I really think the Magic are back in action...

Topic #24577 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

This trade is so right-field, that it's not just ridiculous... it's re-donk-ulous.

I would have traded Nelson, Gortat and Pietrus for Nash and had him run point for Carter and Howard.

The Arenas/Lewis trade seems more like a "completely pointless contract for completely pointless contract" situation.

Arenas WAS good, but I wouldn't take on a baggy contract like he has. Lewis was overrated to begin with and his contract was the best example of that.

Since the Trade HAS happened, doubt Nelson has anything to worry about since Arenas offered to be the 6th man. The Turkgolu contract was the odd one for me. Somehow they assume he will return to form by going back to the magic? lolwut?

Reply #300753 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

More importantly, how with this affect J-Rich's numbers on my Fantast Team, the 'Leroy Smith Superfreaks'.

The world needs to know.

Reply #300757 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Washington's main focus in trading Arenas was to remove any doubt that the Wizards are now John Walls team.

Realizing that Arenas would be tough to trade, they at least get a slightly lower contract, plus a scorer capable of dropping 20 a game. Not going to do much right now for Washington, but at least gets rid of the Gilbert distraction.

Reply #300767 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

as LC would say - there's already a thread for this!

Reply #300768 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I don't know why the magic pulled both trades at once, they should have done the suns trade and the waited to see how that panned out. It's not like Arenas wouldn't have been available at the deadline.

Reply #300779 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Big Mardy, the Suns aren't going to trade their franchise player for Nelson, Gortat and Pietrus.

Reply #300796 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

And I here I was thinking that a forum was a place for a discussion of ideas...

Reply #300801 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

No Deal,

The problem with waiting until the deadline is that it doesn't always leave enough time for the team/coach/players to work things out and be ready for the playoffs.

Maybe if Jamison was traded to the Cavs earlier last season LeBron would still be in Cleveland with a ring on his finger? Who knows.

Besides Lewis was giving them practically nothing - Arenas would have to be an upgrade. Bass and Anderson can share the 4 spot.

A backup for Dwight is definitely a concern though but I'm sure they are well aware of this - I doubt they are done trading yet.

Reply #300804 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Billo, Learn to Spell.

Second, I also wouldn't trade Rashard Lewis for Gilbert Arenas... but that apparently has happened.

Besides, teams will trade anyone to get a team that can win a title. I reckon the Suns would have easily folded if a decent offer for Nash was put up.

You'd be trading for a proven guard in Nelson who is younger and can develop more than Nash.

You'd be trading a great backup center in Gortat to the Suns for nothing. and you'd be trading a good role player/starter in Pietrus all for an old man (by sporting standards).

Fairly sure it would be worth the risk for the Suns to do a trade like that.

Reply #300805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Juror, who have they got left to trade to get another big? Duhon?

Reply #300808 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I'm not sure Arenas is the answer though. He has been disruptive and inefficient every where he has played, plus he will take the ball out of Nelson's hands... I think they would have been better off seeing has Shard went with Turk back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to slide, at least for the time being with 4 new players, 3 of which will recieve heavy minutes. Dwight is going to have to be a marathon man until a new Centre arrives.

Reply #300810 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

turk was a throw in the magic were after j-rich they had to throw in turk to make the deal work money wise.

Reply #300811 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Personally I'm glad Gortat has been traded, I think he is capable of more than he was being used for being played as a backup for Howard.

Reply #300818 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How was Hedo a throw in??

A player whose contract is worth $45 million over the next four years isn't a throw in. No team absorbs a $45 million contract to make a deal work.

If the Magic just wanted J-Rich then they could made a much simpler trade and done a VC for J-Rich + filler or Gortat + Pietrus + filler for J-Rich.

Reply #300822 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Hedo was no throw in, they figure he can return to his old magic form like he was last time he was there. And Ether Arenas is there to come off the bench and Nelson starts or is Nelson going to get traded for a athletic big who can share time at the 4 and 5?? Could that be what they're going to do? Tyrus Thomas maybe? Marcus Camby?

Reply #300826 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't think Portland is in a position to trade Camby with Pryz just returning and who knows how long Mr Glass (Oden) is out for. Nelson for Tyrus is something that should be looked at.

Reply #300831 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Didn't Turk and his wife bag Orlando when he got traded?

Reply #300858 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

They'll trade a PG to get another big. With Arenas and Hedo being able to run the point for spells they have some redundancy there now. I'd say they'll trade Duhon for a backup big. I doubt that trade Nelson but I guess it depends who they could get for him.

Reply #300859 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Hey Loco, considering you are 1-6, I doubt it would affect it very much.

Reply #300883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754