Dusan
Years ago

What happened to Ch 12 (OneHD)?

Can some one please explain to me why the 10 network has turned their channel 12 (their digital version of one hd) into another high definition only channel??????????????

All I get on 12 is an never ending commercial about Channel 11 beginning on the 11/1/11 (even though the epg states what program is on, and yes I have re-tuned my PVR) and that Martin character telling me that 12 is now HD only. Why? Why? Why?

For people that don't have High Definition Boxes/PVR's, it is now impossible to watch one hd and the basketball especially. Now I will have to spend more money in acquiring a new hd box/PVR when what I've got is still very serviceable -why fix it if it ain't broke!!!!

Can someone from Network 10 please explain (as I have no idea and don't want to know how to use facepage..faceoff...facebook...whatever? to ask my question) Or have I totally misunderstood that Martin character?

If this topic has appeared before, my apologies. I have searched this site under the one hd topic and couldn't find anything.

Sorry to have disturbed anyone and I'll get back to feeding my dinosaurs.

Topic #24582 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Look at the thread "DVD recorder help"

Reply #300885 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Each of the FTA stations have a limited amount of broadcast bandwidth, enough for two SD channels and one HD channel. TEN were simulcasting ONEHD on their second SD channel but they now need that bandwidth to broadcast their new channel, Eleven. The stations are legally obliged to broadcast a certain number of hours of HD per year, so they cannot choose to broadcast all SD. So unfortunately no ONEHD for you without a new HD set top box.

Reply #300887 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

'Can someone from Network 10 please explain..'

Perhaps you should email them rather than just hoping someone from Network Ten just happens to be reading this forum.

Reply #300888 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Buy a HD set top box. Problem solvered.

Reply #300889 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

You can pickup a HD set top box for under $100 - perhaps a Xmas present to yourself.

Reply #300890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, funnily enough, OneHD staff have read and posted here recently.

Reply #300892 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

You can get one for under $50 these days.

http://www.crazysales.com.au/electronics/televisions/digital-set-top-boxes_c377?gclid=CKPOy_ab_KUCFYtspAod7zepoA

Reply #300893 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I'm more annoyed that you cannot record it on iq anymore damn it!

Reply #300894 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Each of the FTA stations have a limited amount of broadcast bandwidth, enough for two SD channels and one HD channel. TEN were simulcasting ONEHD on their second SD channel but they now need that bandwidth to broadcast their new channel, Eleven. The stations are legally obliged to broadcast a certain number of hours of HD per year, so they cannot choose to broadcast all SD. So unfortunately no ONEHD for you without a new HD set top box.

In addition, when 10 announced OneHD, it always stated that it will only be simulcast on SD for a limited time.

I understand that many people now have redundant technology - if you have an issue I suggest you contact network 10 and voice your displeasure.

Reply #300895 | Report this post

Dusan  
Years ago

To aussieboomers4eva, many thanks for a well written and educational reply, much appreciated.

Back to my prehistoric days and living without one hd.

Reply #300896 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I'm more annoyed that you cannot record it on iq anymore damn it!"

This^

I'm upgrading to HD IQ for $100 while they've got the sale on but I'm not happy about it.

Reply #300899 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

X - we recently got an IQ upgrade for free. Basically my wife rang up and cracked the shits about them giving away free stuff to new customers all the time but never rewarding existing users. At that stage we just had a normal Foxtel box etc. After a bit of a run around on the phone she got a chick who was happy to help and said she'd send out a tech with a fre IQ box for us. They came out within 2 days, and while the installer was a bit of a goose and made a mess of plugging things in its all systems go now. We dont pay for any of the Foxtel HD channels but now can recieve the FTA HD ones via the fox box.

So before you fork out any extra cash Id try that route and failing that your existing box could always start to play up and not work properly meaning you need a replacement....

Reply #300901 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

How long have you got it free for Stat??

Reply #300902 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

24 months

Reply #300906 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sweet, so you do not receive any Foxtel HD channels, but you get free to air ones?

Reply #300909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask father Christmas for a new tv

Reply #300911 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

I am a recent subscriber to NBA League Pass and if you were buying a new set top box just to get the 4 or so NBA games per week on ONE I would suggest signing up to this.

The quality is unbelievable (if you have a good net connection and can run a HDMI from your PC to your HD TV) and there are no blackouts so you get all the games.

Handy features are a condensed games feature as well as watching just "dunks" or "3's" etc.

NBA League Pass has probably been covered in length on other threads but thought it relevant here for those who may not know about it and want/need an NBA fix in light of ONE SD disappearing.

Reply #300913 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

How much data do you consume per month with NBA League pass?

Reply #300918 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Nice work Stat I'll give it a shot...

Reply #300920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Skip, funnily enough, OneHD staff have read and posted here recently."

To ONEHD,

<3 the coverage, please continue showing lots of 36ers games :D

Also, Maher commentating is awesome.

Reply #300921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X, I got a free upgrade to an iQ2 too after threatening to cancel my Foxtel. The $200 did appear on the next bill (for whatever reason) but they then realised it was a mistake and took it off.

Just demand to be put through to 'disconnections' and be prepared for some good laughs with the amount of spin they use to try and get you to backdown.

I now have an iQ2 ($10 a month), no Foxtel basic channels and just the sports package ($16 a month) along with the FTA channels and obviously all their HD channels (One HD, ABC News 24 etc) in total for $29 a month. The other $3 is for refusing to do direct debit.

Reply #300926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: my post above I also demanded no contract so can cancel any time too.

Reply #300928 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I just threatened to disconnect because we couldn't tape ONE any more. No luck though. They just said we could get free installation on a 6-month plan or pay the regular 100. I could give it another shot but I think they'd have a record of my calls lol.

Reply #300933 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

instead of wasting your cash to foxtel, just get a tv tuner for your computer and record it on there. i got over 2TB of space and that isnt filling up fast at all, and not mention doesnt give any money to foxtel.

Reply #300934 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

they got you by the balls X. if your computer savvy just put the money towards your internet and download everything. i have had foxtel in the past and have found it to be really crap apart from the sports.

Reply #300936 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

You can buy a HD pvr for supercheap these days. A brand called strong sell a HD box for $69 that let's you record via USB. So buy a USB harddrive or memory stick, starting from $50 and bam you have yourself a HD recorder.

Reply #300937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, did you actually press on from there to ask to disconnect? I'd say they can tell the difference between those who are really looking to disconnect and those easily persuaded to keep handing over money.

Reply #300939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X,

Just demand to be put through to 'disconnections' they can't not do it (although with me they sent me around to a few other areas first obviously in the hope I'd give up and not bother).

You've kinda got to be prepared to cancel your Foxtel susbscription too, these people are highly trained and can detect in your voice if they think you're not genuine.

The bottom line is this: Foxtel are losing customers at a rate of knots due to all the FTA digital channels (especially due to One HD as the vast majority of people only have Foxtel for their sports channels). I've read of plenty of people on other forums getting great deals out of them (Platinum packages on iQ2 for $40 a month etc).

Remember they're desperate and you're the boss, don't give them the opportunity to think otherwise. Just tell them you want them to come and pick up your box ASAP and even if you don't get a good deal there & then you will when they ring you back up a few days before they're meant to be coming to pick up the box.

Reply #300942 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

First I told them the reasons, then I stuck with it for a few minutes until I thought they were actually about to disconnect it lol, then I just hung up on them.

SRT, footy in FoxSports is the main thing for me. And no, I'm probably not computer-savvy enough for that setup.

I think I'll go for the HDIQ before a recorder/hardrive, Detroit. It's a bit more convenient and not much more expensive.

Reply #300945 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Cheers anon, I'll give it another shot. Problem is I don't think I am prepared to lose it haha. Oh well, there's not much on this time of the year anyway and there's always the free installation for 'new' customers to fall back on...

Reply #300947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a little story on the kinds of people they employ in the 'disconnections' section.

I came across a story of a guy who's job was to evaluate their peformance as they're Foxtel's heavy hitters in that section. Anyway he said one lady came through to 'disconnections' who said she wanted to cancel her Foxtel service because she was struggling to afford it and feed her her young child at the same time.

This guy said by the end of the phonecall not only was the woman not disconnected but he had talked her into upgrading her package (kids need children's channels etc) and she was now going to be paying $4 extra a month then when she first got on the phone. They're animals.

Personally I found the whole experience a riot (they record the whole thing) and I couldn't stop laughing at some of the lines the guy was using to try and keep me on. They knew I was genuine and I got a good deal out of them for my tastes.

By getting a free upgrade to an iQ2 and renting it from them at $10 a month (with no contract) meant I didn't have to spend $100-$500 on a PVR or buy a decent aerial (I have cable) and if the box shits itself they have to come out and replace it and I can cancel any time I like.

Reply #300950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X,

Exactly. There's bugger all on the sports channels this time of year anyway so you'd be even more likely to get a better deal now than say in Feb when the AFL pre-season stuff is about to start. They know there are plenty of AFL junkies out there.

Remember even if you say that's it I want the box out of my house come pick it up ASAP you can always ring up and cancel that before the guy arrives to pick it up. The reality is you would've already received a phone call from them enticing you to stay on before it even gets to that point.

Reply #300954 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I went with the email this time:

"Hi, X here. Our Foxtel IQ account is registered under (08) 12345678 at 1 X drive, Xville.

Due to the recent emergence of FTA HD channels, as well as the fact that ONE's SD channel (for NBL) is no longer available, there is really no point of keeping our Foxtel IQ if these channels can't be recorded and therefore we would like to disconnect within the next few days (before the next billing cycle).

If it is possible to record FTA HD channels with the HD IQ box, we are obviously interested in that, but if this involves more installation fees or an increase in the monthly fee it is not feasible. Information on this is appreciated as your website really doesn't tell you much.

At risk of sounding rude, if it is possible to reply promptly it would be greatly appreciated as we do not want to be stuck paying for January if we don't get it disconnected in time.

Thankyou,

X"

What do you reckon?

PS, that's right, I had my name changed to X by deed poll and I live on X drive in Xville. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Reply #300956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X,

I wouldn't think an email would be direct enough and you can kind of tell you don't really want to cancel (or are prepared to bluff hard enough to the point they think you're genuine). But good luck with it and I hope it gets you a free upgrade, even though they'd be prepared to throw in a fair bit more than that to keep you on.

The best bet though is the demand to be put through to 'disconnections' and if they don't offer you a good enough deal there then arrange a time and date for them to come and pick the thing up and like I said earlier before it even gets to that day they've would've offered you a sweet deal to stay on.

Reply #300958 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I can't understand why they didn't turn off the current channel 11 and ran channel 1 as the HD and 12 as the SD.
What is the point of having 2 identical channels in 1 and 12 being HD and none being SD?
I work arvo shift, so the only chance I have to see the game on Friday night is to record it with channel 12 (SD) on my hard disc recorder. I am generally out on Sunday early evenings too.
I now have to go out and buy a HD recorder or just miss out on watching NBL on TV at all again.
We finally get it back on TV, only to have them take it away from us again.
I went out and bought a Digital TV (HD aswell, but that's beside the point) and a hard disc recorder when they announced One HD. Now seems like it was a pointless exercise as I won't be able to watch my bball anyway.

Reply #300962 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

For those interested re NBA league pass - a full game streamed in HD uses 3.5-4GB...

Reply #300968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just checked the EPG tonight and obviously we had Bucks at Blazers on One HD tonight but here is what NBA is coming up on One over the rest of the week:

Wed 2pm Milwaukee at LA Lakers (replay 10:30pm)

Fri 11:30am San Antonio at Orlando (replay 7:30pm)
Fri 2:15pm Miami at Phoenix (replay 9:30pm)

Sun 6am Boston at Orlando (replay 4pm)
Sun 8:30am Miami at LA Lakers (replay 6pm)

Reply #300988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, you should pick a username (if you email through, I can apply it to these past posts) - great info.

Though I don't think X has the balls to get the deal, even if he does have his own suburb... :P

Reply #301005 | Report this post

Ladybug  
Years ago

I was in the same boat - I had just moved house and rang up originally to relocate but they had to enter my address in some system before it could be done and told me to call back in a week but said it would cost $100 to relocate and then extra to upgrade to IQ (I only had the old school Fox at that point). I called back but at that point had decided to cancel because I couldn't afford it with the new mortgage. The guy I spoke to said he wanted to speak to his manager about what could be offered. He came back and said because I had been with them for 3 years, good payment history, blah blah blah, they wanted to relocate me for free, upgrade to IQ2 for free, half price access for 4 months, no new contract. So obviously I took up the offer. I have Foxtel IQ2 now but cant afford to eat haha!! Good trade off I think.

Funny because I wanted to upgrade to IQ in the past and rang up pretending to want to cancel to try and get a retention offer but they were just going to cancel it. I fail to see how they are that skilled they can tell if you are bluffing or not but seems like they can - maybe they have some voice activated lie detector going on ;)

Reply #301182 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

For those wondering, it got to the point where I booked an appointment for them to come and uninstall IQ. When it got to the day of the appointment with no discount offer to speak of we rang them and changed it to an upgrade for $100 + an extra $10 every month :/

Cheers ONE HD.

Reply #302905 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

X... Grow some balls son... :)

Be an ar$sehole to these grubs. They take you from behind once a month without even a reach around and it's time get even.

but in the end, you ponied up another $100 and as further incentive you're paying an extra $10 a month. Surprised they didn't want your first born in the deal.

Reply #302907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754