Speed44
Years ago

Melo loaned out for the year?

Just read an article on the possibility of Denver trading Melo to a contender like Dallas. Dallas would probably happily take him for the rest of the year if they could get a shot at a title. And who knows, maybe a title would convince Melo to stay in Big D (or somewhere similar).

Any chance of this happening? Looked on the ESPN trade machine, and Melo for Caron Butler and Haywood works. Denver get a decent replacement SF and a solid C on a 6 year deal, and Dallas get a better shot at a title.

Topic #24599 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

Can't see Denver trading the face of the franchise for 2 players who have seen better days.

The reason the Nets are still in the hunt is because they can offer Denver several draft picks, Derrick Favors, and the expring Troy Murphy.

I think Denver would rather let Melo walk than take on Haywood and Butler.

Reply #301228 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Melo for Butler & Haywood is a disgraceful deal for the Nuggs, especially when they dont have to trade him!

Reply #301231 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I understand they don't have to, but they could lose him for nothing then.

Reply #301234 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

No way would this happening, terrible trade for the Nuggets and why would Dallas do this when they're playing superb basketball right now. It probably makes their team worse as Butler is a top notch defender and Haywood a good value backup centre for them.

Reply #301235 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Well, apparently the Mavs are willing.

Reply #301236 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Although, digging around just now, found this from Mark Cuban:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/22/2722615/mark-cuban-no-truth-to-carmelo.html

Reply #301237 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

I'm currently in California and the vibe I'm hearing from people who have "connections" is that the Lakers are very close to acquiring Melo. Kupchak apparently has been wheeling and dealing for a little while now trying to get this deal done, but the Lakers are trying to keep it quiet like they did with the Gasol trade a few years back. Apparently it will be along the lines of Drew and Walton/Artest.

Melo has to sign off on any trade and it's in Denver's best interests to trade him because he's as good as gone at the end of the season. Don't be surprised if Melo's in purple and gold sometime in the new year.

Reply #301247 | Report this post

Bobby tables  
Years ago

that's not as crazy as it sounds...LA are going to need another star when Kobe retires...

Reply #301259 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

That LA trade is still worse than the NJ one (plus it gets Melo out of the West for Denver).

I dont understand how can anyone beat NJ's trade offer and still be in the hunt to win it all? To beat that offer any contender would have to trade away some major pieces that they will need to contend. I'd say 99% chance he is traded to NJ or NY and 1% that he goes elsewhere.

Reply #301293 | Report this post

would love it if he is traded to the Spurs we would be happy to part with Richard Jefferson but down side of things they would have to part with either or both George Hill or Dejuan Blair to get him and i dont think the spurs would trade Blair

Reply #301376 | Report this post

would love it if he is traded to the Spurs we would be happy to part with Richard Jefferson but down side of things they would have to part with either or both George Hill or Dejuan Blair to get him and i dont think the spurs would trade Blair

Reply #301377 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Melo doesn't wanna go to NJ. He has a no-trade clause in his deal, which means that he has to sign off on any trade. He's gonna go to a contender.

As for the perspective from the Lakers side of things, does anyone think that they would just trade Vujacic for Joe Smith by choice? They freed up some cap room and now have some sort of trade exemption thingy which gives em an extra 5 million to include in the salary cap for trades. They're very nicely putting themselves in a position to pounce for Melo.

Kobe and Melo are good friends and it would not surprise me one bit to see this trade go down. A starting lineup of Fish, Kobe, Melo, Odom and Gasol would have to be regarded as the best in the league. They would also have depth on the bench in Steve Blake, Matt Barnes and Shannon Brown. Certainly lose a bit of height, so I would expect Smith, Ratliff and Caracter to be playing extended minutes to keep the starting bigs fresh. Matt Barnes can play the 4 at times too, as can Walton if he doesn't get traded.

Reply #301378 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I wouldn't want the Lakers to trade Artest for Melo. I think that at the moment, they are perfectly balanced. Artest can defend Lebron better than anyone else in the league, therefore trading him away could be potentially devastating if there was an LAL-MIA final series.

Reply #301387 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I doubt Denver's ownership would survive if they traded Melo for Bynum's gimpy knees and what would be a disinterested, disruptive Artest.

The Jersey trade would definitely be a better move for Denver, but yeah I doubt Melo would agree to go there.

If Denver can't get some good young talent or high picks in a trade, they are better off letting Melo walk. No point taking on older players with big contracts. They need high draft picks and, to a lesser extent, cap space.

Reply #301413 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I did not think Melo had a no trade clause, it was more along the lines of he won't sign an extension so could walk after the end of the season to the team he is traded to?

Reply #301628 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

Yeah i thought it was only Kobe and now Dirk with no trade clauses?

Reply #301629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754