XztatiK
Years ago

Wildcats Sign Ater Majok!

Wow! That's big.

I assume this means no import or will they replace both Knight and Wagstaff?

Oh and skip, yeah, you were right :(

Story: http://www.nbl.com.au/wildcats-home/news/article/2010/december/wildcats-sign-exciting-big-man-ater-majok/

Topic #24603 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're still gonna get an import, Ater Majok will come of the bench, he isn't THAT good. :P

Reply #301268 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ater Majok will be a solid contributor off the bench for now, but he could evolve into a genuine starter in 1-2 years if he keeps developing. There are very few guys with his height and athleticism in the NBL.

He comes to the team after a stint with FMV Isikspor in the Turkish 2nd Division.

Reply #301271 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

He will struggle, but needs to be realistic about his ability and the NBL will be his best option to become a better player.

It would be better if he was playing for melbourne or adelaide or sydney from a fans point of view (due to each city's high sudanese population).

Good to see him paying here though.

Reply #301283 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

By the way, why didn't cairns go for him after losing K-Will?

Reply #301284 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

curtley- are you joking? perth has a very high sudanese community- think suburbs like koondoola and mirrabooka!

Reply #301286 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Good call in the other thread over a week ago:

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/24515-time-for-wildcats-to-get-a-second-import/#p299628

Reply #301291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I want to know is , how much points is majok ?

Will the cats look to cut someone and get an import now ? Or is he an import ?

Surely he can't fill the shoes of matty knight and Jesse well ENOUGH to help us go back to back ?

Reply #301296 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

sorry i'm not down with perth's recent-migrant communities.

Reply #301299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is signed only for 6 weeks to fill wagstaff and the cats are going to sign a import early next week

Reply #301313 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Majok will not be an import. He has Australian citizenship and has even played for the Boomers in the Stankovic Cup tournament in 2009. As for points, I should think he would be well short of 10. Possibly a 5? Just guessing.

Reply #301316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry i'm out of the loop but when did he leave uconn?

Reply #301360 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Always trust bevo!!!! His the brian gorjian!!!! Perth will go back to back!!!
hope we play the breakers & penny!!! 5 Championships to zero!!! Perth knows how to win!!! Wait and c whos the import?

Reply #301368 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

He left before the beginning of this NCAA season. There is considerable speculation as to why he made this decision and to my knowledge very little of this has been confirmed one way or another. Was he unhappy with his role at UConn? Was he failing his studies? Alllegations of recruiting malpractises by UConn were rife during his time at the University. There has also been word of pressure on him to start earning big in order to support his relatives.
Regardless, whatever the reasons, he made his professional debut for FMV Isikspor, a Turkish 2nd division team, on the 23rd October. He played 7 games, averaging 13.9 points and 8.6 rebounds. I'm not sure why he did not continue with them as they seem like good numbers. Perhaps he was on a short term contract as a fill in for an injured player. Hopefully someone else here can fill us both in.

Reply #301369 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I should also have mentioned that he averaged 3 blocks a game. No doubt his alleged 7'6" wingspan had something to do with that!

Reply #301370 | Report this post

I like the signing its a shame its only for 6 weeks hopefully he will get good minutes and prove he is worth keeping for the rest of the season the cats need a good shot blocking presents as knight and wagstaff are not that

Reply #301374 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Majok only had a 2 month contract with the Turkish team.

Reply #301388 | Report this post

bossmang  
Years ago

HAHAHAHA.....how the mighty have fallen....this joker believed he would be NBA All Star material......now he will be coming off the bench for an NBL team.....good luck with your NBA dream HAHAHAHAHA

Reply #301587 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I think there is a saying that goes something along the lines of "Dream for the stars".

So he hasn't made the NBA...a gig at UConn, albeit brief, and now with the Wildcats, is much further than I ever got in terms of basketball achievements. I give him kudos for getting close and will never begrudge him setting high goals for himself.

I hope he still achieves his NBA dream. For the time being I'm looking forward to watching talented young Australian citizens getting opportunities to showcase their skills in the NBL

Reply #301642 | Report this post

bushwick bill  
Years ago

news flash...the sydney kings got more chance of winning the NBL championship this year than Majok ever has of wearing an NBA singlet....he needs to stop telling the media about his NBA aspirations(he was on record saying he believed he'd be an NBA all star) as it makes him look very egotistical and unaware of his actual ability...best of luck with that nba career mate with that 1 point something average at uconn u had...lets see how he goes in the nbl

Reply #301668 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Haters gonna hate!

Reply #301671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think its great...he hasnt made the nba yet cos he hasnt yet stayed in the draft process.he probably wont get drafted but even if he doesnt make the nba, he will stil be able to make a career out of basketball somewhere.

buskwick bill - i think you should qualify your comment on him ever wearing an nba singlet to say regular season nba singlet. if workouts, pre draft camps and summer league count, then he could well get one of them:)

Reply #301758 | Report this post

O'Shea Jackson  
Years ago

...lets face it pretenders 1point whateva av in college is NOT gonna get on anyones radar in the NBA.....this is straight out unrealistic.....if you guys are right then currently we should have around 20 something Aussie active players ready for the nba draft right now and 2nd div euro dont mean a great deal unless your tearin it up....until i witness him tear up the nbl night in and out...like Nate Jawaii was before his first nba stint then Majok has got no business talkin publicly about the nba...im not hatin i wish him all the best..i just think the dude needs to be REALISTIC

Reply #301785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey ice cube - you dont know what your talking about.

if you did, you'd know he already is on the radar of nba teams.

thats not to say he will certainly make the nba but dont think teams over the world arent paying attention to whathe is doing.

Reply #301840 | Report this post

jammasterjay  
Years ago

nba teams HAHAHA

Reply #301844 | Report this post

rickjamesbeeatch  
Years ago

NBA LOL....NBA on Xbox

Reply #301883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers problem now.

Reply #775991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754