Japorms
Years ago

Mills having a career night

playing now against the Rockets top scoring entering 2nd quarter.

just proving my thought that he will be their(Blazers) starter eventually.

Happy NEW YEAR!

Topic #24658 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yup. So far 12 pts on 5-8 FGA. 2-4 from 3 with an assist and 3 steals in just on 10 minutes of action.

Reply #302367 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Up to 14 pts, 2 reb, 4 assists and 5 steals. Really starting to prove his worth at the NBA level.

Reply #302370 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

It's good to see him play well but he's not good enough to be a legit starting PG. Let's get realistic here.

Reply #302371 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Hi BigD,

before we consider your own realistic view, lets find out first what the word "eventually" means:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=eventually&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Reply #302373 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

I know what eventually means, but it still won't happen. If they trade Andre Miller they'll get another PG back who will be better then Mills. If they let Miller's contract run until it expires they'll draft a better PG. Because Mills would be the weak link if he started, his defense still isn't good enough to start in a Portland system.

Reply #302376 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

ah okay thats why they are liking his ball pressure defense and he he got 5 steals today.

Reply #302379 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Steals doesn't mean your a good on ball defender. He has great anticipation but too many times he gets caught gambling too much and giving up easy baskets. Offensively he is more of a scorer then a PG that will make the rest of the team better while scoring. And he needs the ball in his hands to do anything, which won't be good if he plays alongside ball-dominate players who are a lot better then him.The best he'll be is 6th man.

Reply #302380 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

BigD your a hater. Show some love.

Reply #302381 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

steals aren't proof of good ball defense? where the hell did you got this info?

now this make me laugh when your putting away the ball from a PG to do his job. i dont know if you're trying to re-define whats the meaning of point guarding that requires the ball to be on his hands more than the rest on the floor. otherwise it will be a towel in his hands while sitting on the bench(which Patty does before when he's sitting on the bench and acting as their cheerleader).

Reply #302382 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

I did show some love. I said it's good he's playing well.

I take it you haven't watched him playing often for Portland. His steals come from intercepting the passing lanes (Off-ball defense). However when he's defender the ball he struggles to contain his man. eg. Steve Nash going 20pts and 16asts in like 28min on 10-16 shooting. or Monta Ellis making him look silly, and Patty is a very fast player. His +/- needs to improve massively as well. He's a good Backup PG but not starting quality. Nor will he be, Least at Portland, other teams it might be a different story however. Sacramento could use him to shoot 3s to desperately help Tyreke Evans.

Reply #302383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't use the systems Nash & Monta play in as examples of Mills' average defence. Yes, he's hardly a great defender but Nash's/Monta's stats are wildly inflated because their teams are run & gun, a lot more posessions in a game.

Call it the David Lee effect.

Reply #302386 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Nash regularly produce that kind of output regardless whos guarding him. But you failed to mention the two time MVP's 6 TOs courtesy of Mills' tough harrasments as affirmed by his coach and team mates at post game interviews.

Reply #302388 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great game by Mills - 14 points and 5 steals both new career-highs.

Reply #302397 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Do people that actually know how and what basketball is about actually post on this website???

Reply #302402 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

and whats this latest report means, why Miller is giving minutes to Mills if the Blazers really looking for another PG?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=612&line=148495&spln=1

Reply #302404 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Japorms, steals are NOT usually a good measure of a player's on-ball defence. As mentioned, a player can gamble on D to get in the passing lanes for extra steals, but often gets burned if he misses the steal.

Having said that, its nice to see Mills continuing to get mins and put up numbers. He's showing he can learn from his mistakes and is clearly building trust with the coaching staff.

Awhile back I would have said you were dreaming if you thought Mills would ever start at PG for Portland. Now, I can actually see a scenario where it could happen.

IF the Blazers decide to stick with Roy as their franchise guy and he is able to get his knee woes sorted, I could see Miller being moved on. From what I read awhile back, Roy doesn't coexist well with Miller and would rather have a role player in the backcourt with him that can stretch the D, play defence and not demand the ball too much. Patty could do just that for him.

Reply #302419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigD you are on the money. I think we all hope Patty has a fantastic career in the NBA but sometimes we have to be realistic. He can play one game like that today and all Australians think that thats what happens 82 times throughout the year.

Patty is improving, and understanding what he can and cant do in the league, however potential wise he would prob be best suited to a 6th man type role. That is nothing to be ashamed of either! Especially if he can stay in the league for 10 years.

Lets understand that all Aussies that may enter the league all wont be Boguts, but crucial role players are just as important for playoff bound sides

Reply #302421 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what the coach is seeing (and liking) is patty's ability as a 'game changer'

starter in the nba..........a bit risky just yet!!

Reply #302427 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He isnt a starter yet, and I think his best attribute is his ability to change the game with his speed and daring, as skull said. Maybe that will change with time, maybe not.

A good Boomers coach would bring him off the bench for this reason, even if he is behind Martin or Gibson. After 5 minutes most international games are low scoring, so Mills impact has been wasted. Put him in at that point and he has scored or created a number of baskets before the other team has time to react.

Reply #302430 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Do I sense a slight dig at Brett Brown, paul? Whilst I agree that the jury is still out on Brown, I ask, did he really have a choice in starting Mills the moment CJ dropped out? Would you really have both Martin and Gibson as our starting backcourt in order to use that tactic with Mills?
Then again, many would have guessed that Newley would retain his starting SG role in which he shone so prominently in 2008. Having him as backup SF to Ingles seemed to affect his game and/or confidence. Perhaps playing Newley at the two would have allowed for the Mills impact off the bench as well as improving Newley's contribution to the team.
The bottom line though, and I don't think this is any great revelation, is that Mills, as good a player as he is, was not ready for being handed the keys just yet, but was ultimately our best option. I think a year or two of experience will make the world of difference. He is already showing great signs, today's performance of course being one of them.

Reply #302439 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with Skull and Paul's current assessment of Mills and his ability to change games and have an immediate impact in coming off the bench.

And I do think that Paul had a dig at the current Boomer's coach there AB4EVA. ;)

Reply #302448 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That actually wasnt a dig at Brown. As you know I dont think he is doing a good job, but in Turkey Mills had to start because Gibson and Martin were rookies at that level, but I think now they have some experience it would be wise to use Mills outstanding game changing ability off the bench.

And yes, his form at the moment is good and getting better. I just wonder whether he will always be at his best as a sixth man as he isnt a high IQ player. Luke Martin is an example of someone who is still best as an impact player off the bench even as his career wears on, as his game is about energy and speed.

Reply #302452 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Bevo's current strategy of benching Lisch in favour of the 'defence' Robbins provides seems analogous to your proposal. Seemed to work okay against the Kings, but Lisch went stone cold from the field in the game against the Blaze. The potential for risk could outweigh the possible returns. I'll be interested to see how it pans out for the Wildcats in the long term.

Reply #302535 | Report this post

panamax  
Years ago

I agree paul, mills and martin can both lift the tempo and provide a great spark off the bench. Thats why the kings should get rid of Gilder and get a point guard and martin can play impact minutes of the bench

Steve markovic is the man for 2012. His defence might not be as good as martins and gibsons but he has more weapons on offence and is a better athlete.

Reply #302542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Kings got Dickel for that. Then he got injured.

Reply #302543 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sure sounded like a dig at Brown Paul...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

Reply #302551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty again showin up. 2 huge threes in the third to keep the Blazers in touch.

Reply #302823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BANG

Reply #302825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am happy to have digs at the way the Boomers are currently being coached, but that wasnt one of them!!!

Reply #302833 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

LOL!

Reply #302841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754