The Special 1
Years ago

36ers: No Leadership

We as in the (sixers) could not win a game away if we paid our way. I am sorry people & all the sixers supporters but I am over the way we (sixers) play away. Ok fair enough 2x new imports, Herbert & Carter are injured but that isnt an excuse these are professionals.

There is no LEADERSHIP our captain is the quietest player on the court. When we had Maher he would talk, set the team up & take leadership. I dont see that.

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT GUYS

Topic #24660 | Report this topic

The Special 1  
Years ago

and another thing, Arron Bruce. can someone tell me has he actually been playing since being dropped from the sixers, cause he looked so out of game form.

I am sorry guys but I am sooooooooo angry

Reply #302390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more! What id do to atleast a role player veteran like Sapwell out there again. A team with no character or identity. Sad days. Marty seems to want players with no opinion of their own, just puppets, but you would want to have one hell of a puppeteer for that to work....Marty isnt.

Reply #302391 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

You are both dickheads, if it is two seperate people. The morons that post on here are getting worse and worse. I mean there is no doubt that a load captain would have made them shoot so much better against teams. The people that are posting on here are getting dumber and dumber and know so little about basketball it is emabarassing.

Reply #302395 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Before NYE Aaron Bruce hadn't played a game in 18 months. Keeping that in mind, I think he's been pretty impressive. Not amazing, but not as bad as most players would be after not playing for such a huge period.

And the OP + anonymous have to be the same person, surely.

Reply #302398 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

What? You think they have to be the same person to see how bad the 36'rs are.LOL

Reply #302399 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

We have to move past last Sunday's game and look forward to the NZ game. Yes it was frustrating as fans to see our team play so poorly (on national tv) but that's life, it happens. I expect the team are more embarrassed about the performance than the fans are angry.

True fans hold on to hope that things will get better the next game and the next til eventually a championship is won and the frustration of all the bad times are forgotten.

We almost knocked off the Breakers the last time they were in Adelaide. Interestingly, they went to Perth two days later and got done by 40 points, yet have been playing great basketball every since.

Reply #302403 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

*ever since*

Reply #302405 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

LOL good one Qlder hahahaha aaaaaaaaahhhh.... no.

Reply #302407 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

Well ';' since you think you know what you are on bout what do you think, you are the one with no idea. You are the DH.
Dont get me wrong Marty is a good coach give hime a year or 2 & we will be up there, but there is no leadership, i cant hear Ballinger at all, were as i use to be able to hear Maher all the time. And why bring in a player like Bruce who has not played in 18 months. But if he has please correct me

Reply #302409 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

WTF I have NFI what you are on bout Qlder

Reply #302410 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

He hasn't. Why bring him in? Maybe because he's 25-26 years old and, at his peak, one of the best Aussie PGs in the NBL. He's the best available PG to replace Carter and could be a big weapon should he decide to stay next year and further. I'm happy as hell that he decided to come back and the club was able to pen him. Who would you have replaced Carter with then Special 1?

Reply #302411 | Report this post

intersted  
Years ago

there was two major with game vs Melb ....
we stayed in the zone too long and our shooters, if thats what you call them, can only shoot so when there shot is off they have no other way to contribute - Ng/Hill shot at least 6 1st pass shots after being about 0/7 between them .... and this is when we are 10+down - how about some ball reversal/dribble penetration !
Ballinger wasnt even on floor when this was happening so how someone can blame him for this is unbelievable ..... the only one who is allowed to have a voice is the coach ..... why keep Ng on the floor when his shot is off ? why stay in that zone when we couldnt get ball pressure or why they were scoring so easily ???
Marty made mistakes in the 1st half of this game and it was too late by half time ...
Marty is a god coach but making rookie mistakes - give him some time and he will come good (hopefully) !

Reply #302412 | Report this post

intersted  
Years ago

there was two major with game vs Melb ....
we stayed in the zone too long and our shooters, if thats what you call them, can only shoot so when there shot is off they have no other way to contribute - Ng/Hill shot at least 6 1st pass shots after being about 0/7 between them .... and this is when we are 10+down - how about some ball reversal/dribble penetration !
Ballinger wasnt even on floor when this was happening so how someone can blame him for this is unbelievable ..... the only one who is allowed to have a voice is the coach ..... why keep Ng on the floor when his shot is off ? why stay in that zone when we couldnt get ball pressure or why they were scoring so easily ???
Marty made mistakes in the 1st half of this game and it was too late by half time ...
Marty is a god coach but making rookie mistakes - give him some time and he will come good (hopefully) !

Reply #302413 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think Bruce has been fantastic considering his time away and the little preparation he has had. In both games I would say he was still running the same if not better than the other guys. He has pushed the tempo well and not forced his shots too much.

Reply #302414 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

i am not saying Marty isnt a good coach, i think he is great but to bring in a player that has been out for approx 18 months come on i am sure there is local talent, but that is my opinion.

I didnt want to upset anyone this is just my opinion, i am glad to hear what you guys have to say tho

Reply #302415 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"i am not saying Marty isnt a good coach, i think he is great but to bring in a player that has been out for approx 18 months come on i am sure there is local talent, but that is my opinion."

Local talent: Tom Daly? Adam Doyle? If it gets to the stage where it's clear that Brucie isn't up to it any more (which it won't), then we still have the best young PG talent currently in SA sitting there as a development player.

Reply #302416 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

lets give Daly a bit of court time, i mean we are screwed now so why not. All I saw from Bruce was old school Brad Hill, turn over after turn over. were as i would prefer more of Hill now than in the past

Reply #302418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When Bruce was brought in, we were not "screwed" and it was an opportunity to cover for the loss of Carter and look at a possible signing for next year. Bruce's statline wasn't anything special but I didn't think he was as awful as some out there.

Ballinger is a very quiet captain, but he couldn't even lead with his game with that foul trouble. That hamstrung the team more than almost anything that happened early on.

Reply #302423 | Report this post

twits  
Years ago

The twits who keep rambling on about ballinger are just haters. get over yourselves. the leadership comes from the coach and there is diddly squat anyone can do about it. As above i agree, what do you reckon ballinger yelling or carrying on like a rev head is gonna make guys shoot better? or win us more games when marty has "plans" and is hell bent on doing things his way? it wouldnt mean shit if ballinger got any louder or more aggressive (although last night was a fair flip of character) and I dont know where you sit "special 1" but i see ballinger talkin to the guys and always see him callin for shots with his hands out. Marty is the leader here and it doesnt matter what anyone yells or says anyway, Marty controls what is going on with our team not ballinger. the people on here are getting worse, i agree. man i hope the guys get some rest so we can have another crackin home game. would be good to get road wins though. that is one thing we all know, we suck on the road.

Reply #302428 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The 36ers should have got Majok in. He would have been perfect..A shotblocker in the paint. I think thats the 36ers biggest problem..stopping interior scoring. Nevill emphasised that.

Reply #302429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical AIS coaches.

Reply #302438 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB. We should have brought in someone like Majok. We are too guard heavy. In a 30 minute the minutes should be for Shannon, Howard and Ng.

The big problem for this team is too many rotations and need a big 5 unless you persit with DJ and give the man more minutes.

Reply #302446 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB. We should have brought in someone like Majok. We are too guard heavy. In a 30 minute the minutes should be for Shannon, Howard and Ng.

The big problem for this team is too many rotations and need a big 5 unless you persit with DJ and give the man more minutes.

Reply #302447 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Next season I would run Carter as the starting PG and Bruce as his backup and then use 1 of the Import spots on a Centre and the other on a Swingman. Bruce doesn't look that bad considering his lay off

Reply #302450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, I'm also confused at Special 1 considering Bruce as out of game form. He's looked as fit as anyone out there to me.

Reply #302453 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Jacob appear to be more of an on court leader than Balls. You watch their huddles and he appears to do most of the talking.

After each game when the huddle in the centre of the court, it is always Jake speaking to the team.

Reply #302456 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Does it really matter if he gets the title of captain or not though? Not an issue at all for me.

Eddie has shown fantastic leadership in his first few games too, both on-court and during the timeouts that I've seen.

Mystro, that's tempting isn't it. I wouldn't want to lose either of them but then again it reminds me a lot of the mistake we made a few years ago by going with Bruce/Davidson rather than an import PG.

Reply #302461 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agree 100% Skip, I had a bit of a rant a while back about Ballinger not being a natural leader and how he looks forced at times by trying to pump up the team. Holmes on the other hand does it all very naturally and takes it in his stride.

X Agree that it shouldnt matter who has the C next to their name but the reality is that sometimes it does. A player who is unconfortable in the role can at times feel pressured to do things they normally wouldnt to lift the team (like being agressive and standing up for example) and this pressure can weigh on other parts of their game.

Reply #302472 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Xztatik: Sixers are getting burnt in the paint this season and Ballinger is having to shoulder too much defensively. If DJ isn't getting it done slip him onto the bench and bring in an Import and get Balls back to his preferred position.

Isaac: Agreed, his fitness is not an issue he just needs time to figure the team out and find his niche, nice nice pick up in a shit situation for the club.

Reply #302477 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Mystro, the problem there is that Holmes, JD and DJ all deserve time. Throw an import C in and there are only 20 minutes left to share between the three. I wouldn't be rushing to re-sign Holmes. He's done nothing wrong but there's just no room if we get a legit C.

Reply #302481 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

*sigh*. The title of "Captain" in basketball is a really empty title. Anyone with experience and a voice can lead a team. Jacob tends to do more of the barking and frankly, if they want Balls to be the "captain" as he's been our flagship for the past few years, then so be it.

Everyone has obviously spotted the need for DJ to start (and to have a tall backup with him). The team is solidified everywhere but the 5-spot.

I haven't seen a decent backcourt since the last time Maher and Davidson were on the court, and the last Frontcourt combo I saw that was effective for us was when Balls and Big Red were a tandom. Collectively, Balls and Luke got 55-60ppg together on any given night and forced more zone defence.

All due respect, but if the Sixers had a combo like this:

PG: Bruce/Carter
SG: Herbert/Ng
SF: Hill/Creek
PF: Ballinger/Dowdell
C: Schensher/Johnson

With the option to remove Bruce to keep Holmes as the flexy option. You would have an experienced lineup with youthful backups at every spot capable of defensive and offensive combinations.. and a fast break lineup... and a 3pt lineup... and a very tall lineup as well.

Reply #302482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce looks pretty match fit to me.

When you guys signed him on last time, he still had his head up his ass about how important he was. He has finally removed his head from his ass, and he will be a much better player for it. Give him a few games and I think we'll see why he had the reputation he did coming into the NBL ;)

Reply #302568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

honestly I have to ask the question why would you keep balls yes he has played out of position last few years but just what has he brought to the team? playing devils advocate here but should we keep him, open for discussion folks

Reply #302570 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No it's not.

Reply #302576 | Report this post

The stupidity of that post is open for discussion! Imbecile!

Reply #302579 | Report this post

furthermore i read he is the only signed player for next season so its not an option fool. Have you ever even watched a game? Somebody please tell me when school holidays go back?

Reply #302582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why am I imbecile to have a different point of view from others as I said playing devils advocate and yes I have seen every home game and all game played away shown on OneHD and did I say it was my view? Just another point of view, just another example of people getting personal and btw I haven't been to school for over 20 years so school holidays doesn't have anything to do with it.

We can discuss on here whether imports are good or not, if they should be sacked or not, if we lack leadership, whether the coach should remove his foot from his mouth, whether Ng can play defence, Hill not have brain fades. Why can't we discuss whether Balligner should be kept? Signed for next year - seen players moved sideways even when signed if they are not part of the new beginning. Nobody should be sacrosanct, nobody

Reply #302587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I'm with you in that everything should be considered. No sacred cow, etc. But not going with Ballinger would probably be about as popular as not renewing Homicide's contract in Townsville, whether that was the right decision or not. Ballinger leads us in scoring (at a good FG% too) and blocks.

I remember noticing in the pre-season poll of coaches that Ballinger was somewhat overlooked. Rated by local fans but not by coaches?

Reply #302617 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Xztatik: Holmes, JD and DJ do deserve court time but not at the expense of the teams success. DJ is going to be a decent player with a few seasons under his belt but he is not that go to guy yet. Holmes is a solid role player and capable of playing backup minutes but could be replaced by someone capable of knocking down the open J consistently but they would need to be able to do all the dirty jobs Holmes does as well for the same sort of dollars. I don't really have an opinion of JD, haven't really paid enough attention to his game to comment on him.
I was never a Schenscher fan but I'm starting to believe that with him in the line up this Sixers team would not be that far off the pace of the top 4. A solid Centre is pretty much the missing piece in this line up, either give DJ the opportunity to step up or use him as back up but not for Ballinger, he needs to play at PF.

Reply #302621 | Report this post

big dan  
Years ago

did your brother get a mention isaac

Reply #302711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, but he is getting paid a mere fraction of what Ballinger is. Care to play the ball or just wasting my time?

Reply #302743 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ballinger needs a better balance of players around him. One of Holmes or Dowdell has to go to make room for a frontcourt athlete who can play inside out, as well as defend mobile bigs to cover for Ballinger and Johnson's deficiencies in that area.

I wouldnt be getting rid of Ballinger anytime soon. I would like a team next year of:

Ballinger, import, Hill, Carter, Shannon
Johnson, Dowdell (or Holmes), Creek, Ng, Bruce

I think that team can make some noise, particularly at the defensive end.

Reply #302746 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I actually think only two changes are needed Paul: get Schenscher instead of Holmes and don't bother with a second import - just keep Shannon and look for a guy like Madgen to solidify shooting guard. Ng or Carter could start for now, with the plan being that Madgen grows into the starting role.

I think Creek will grow into that mobile forward the Sixers need. He already looks strong and athletic and is even quick enough that he has been doing ok guarding opposing point guards. Only question might be his height, but he's 195cm so he's already virtually as tall as Saville and at his age could still sprout a few more cms.

Reply #302747 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Creek's at least 198-200, looking at him next to the likes of Holmes and Hill. He says 197.

Since we're on next year's team already:

C - Import C (or Big Red)/DJ
PF - A.Ballinger/J.Dowdell
SF - M.Creek/B.Hill
SG - Import SG (or Madgen-type)/D.Ng
PG - Import PG/(Carter or Bruce)

Does anyone think Eddie will consider settling down here and staying next year or is this just a temporary gig because there was nothing better available at the time. I'm assuming the latter.

Running a Bruce and Carter combo, then using the import spots at SG and C is tempting if we can't get Schenscher. Even more tempting if Brucie proves himself in the next few months.

We're not far off, just need a few tweaks.

Reply #302752 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Xztatik

Reply #302754 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think you can have Schenscher, Ballinger and Johnson as your frontcourt rotation, they would get murdered defensively. You need someone who can guard the likes of Petrie, Redhage, Worthington, Vukona etc and who can do what those guys can do offensively with their versatility.

In a few years that might be Creek, the way Sam Mackinnon was able to play the four as he got older, but not yet.

Shannon said when he arrived that he would be keen to finish out his career here.

Reply #302758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul,

Ballinger needs a better balance of players around him. One of Holmes or Dowdell has to go to make room for a frontcourt athlete who can play inside out, as well as defend mobile bigs to cover for Ballinger and Johnson's deficiencies in that area.
What sort of player do you have in mind? L Davidson? M Knight? Hinder? Maybe even Loughton/Crosswhite? Loughton maybe too pricey, Crosswhite not sure about.

An alternative is blowing up the front court, trying to get Schenscher home or luring Khazzouh (after the dissatisfaction of a shocking Kings season) and moving out from there picking players that will work. And if you blew up the front court, I would be calling Redhage straight away. Worthington is the other option with runs on the board (and who might lift with a tougher coach), but you risk him eyeing off Europe every off-season.

Roster from the first option:

Hinder or similar/Johnson
Ballinger/Dowdell
Creek/Herbert
Import/Ng or Hill (flip a coin)
Shannon/Carter

What's good: Johnson as an impact off the bench who can come on alongside a defender shifting to PF, a defender in the paint who has range, Ballinger free to roam as PF, Creek getting minutes to improve, Ng is scoring punch off the bench but wouldn't cry without minutes, and Hill remains the wildcard.

What's risky: Maybe not enough penetrators. Is that enough change for a team still iffy on the road? We've had a multi-year slump across multiple coaches and multiple players and I always worry about how common elements have contributed to that.

Reply #302766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, I am talking about a mobile, versatile athlete - Timmons (at his peak), Lampley, Petrie, Worthington, Redhage - very few teams win a championship without this type of player in their frontcourt. A guy who can play big but also has the skills to play the fast style of the NBL.

I am thinking an import, but Petrie would be perfect.

Reply #302772 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I like you team X, but I like the one put up by Isaac better.

Without sounding like a broken record, Carter, Hill and Ng on the same squad is overlapping on skills. IMO Carter is a keeper, but it's a coin toss between Hill and Ng, one or the other, not both.

Agree with a import PG, but not too sure about how the second slot is used.

I'd probably go big and look at a 5. Problem is, I'm struggling to remember a recent true 5 import that had a decent impact on the league. I'm talking about a 16+/10 guy that plays in the post which would allow Ballinger to play in the mid range. I also think Balls could be great as a weakside player. Having that big guy also opens the floor up for the 'alleged' shooters on the roster.

If Bruce gets back to NBL condition then I wouldn't be adverse to seeing a Carter/Bruce PG slot and then an import SG, who can fill in at the PG, but primary position is SG and C.

Reply #302777 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Forgot Herbie :S

And I like the Matty Knight idea over the other Cs mentioned. I'd go to him before Luke:

C - M.Knight/D.Johnson
PF - A.Ballinger/J.Dowdell
SF - M.Creek/B.Hill
SG - N.Herbert/D.Ng
PG - Shannon/Carter or Bruce

...with room to cut Hill for an import if points allow it. As I guess that lineup is pretty weak on wing scorers. I still disagree with you on Hill/Ng, TR. I've always seen them as vastly different players. Who can co-exist on court. In saying that, it could easily still come down to a choice between the two for a swingman spot. Give me Ninja.

Reply #302808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754