Soulman
Years ago

Should 36ers have gone after Homicide?

This topic is definately late but would like people's thoughts just the same.Should 36ers gone after Homicide. Lets look at the facts a proven NBL point guard with loads of experience. A proven NBL player who scores on a consistent basis who can carve up Defensives and penertrate to the basket who on his day no one can stop. Was it the money factor or were we to late in getting his signature, seems to me when we cut Winder or were thinking of doing so, Homicide should of been a no brainer?

Topic #24679 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

He is a very good player no doubt, but consider also that the Tigers were 0-4 against top 5 teams before he arrived, and they are 0-4 against top 5 teams since he arrived.

I think Eddie Shannon is a good fit for the Sixers, and with the exception of Sunday's woeful effort the team has been very competitive since he arrived.

Reply #302731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Comes down to whether you want to win the championship or run in the pack. I think he can do enough to win a share of games, but jury is out on whether he can lead a team to go the whole way.

Reply #302737 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

The critics have a field day with this guy,

why is he called Homicide? what/whom has he killed??

from the little i have seen, he has certainly the Tigers Schuffle Offence,
his lack of a jumpshot has keen known to kill his teammates,
but the rest of his skills can kill his opponents,
while his matches always revolve around what he is or is not doing.

And his attitude is hard to fathom some times,
He always seems to talk about himself in post game interviews,
and why didn't he collect his MVP Trophy last season?
No regard for his own personal accolades or Disrespect for the league ?!?

He just seems to be a risk, he will win some games, but down the track, will the Tigers be a better club for having him there this season?
Interesting that a few are already saying that they are still not winning enough for the talent that this Melbourne Tigers team has.

Reply #302753 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps Williams is similar to Robert Rose in that while he is a very good player and capable of dominating games, he also is not a Championship winning player. For all of Rose's achievements, he only won one Championship and that was in his first season with South East Melbourne Magic. He then went on to play with four other teams without success, although Townsville did make the final series, losing in three games.

Reply #302760 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Myself and two mates sat front row at the tigers game, when homicide inbounded a baseline ball the three of us were getting in his ear telling him where the "real" fans were and that he should come to Adelaide. I think he liked it, Dont be surprised people..... imagine what he would do feeding off our home crowd. look at hodge, yeah he was a dick but the dome was rockin and look at how the whole team lifted,even with no jumpshot I think we woulve made the finals that year if none of that shit went down with Judas and the club.

Reply #302765 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think judging by whether or not they have won a championship is a poor indicator. There is many factors in winning a championship. You could put Ervin on Sydneys team and they might not win a championship ever. That doesn't mean he is a bad import it just means he wasn't in the right team.

Williams would have brought in the crowd, we would win consistently and know what we are getting from him. It would be up to the coaching staff and other players to determine whether we would win the championship or not. One thing is for sure that we know we would have a go to guy in the clutch. I wouldn't have said have him or Shannon but rather have them both. Either way it should have been a serious consideration at the start of the season rather then getting Deveries!

Reply #302784 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I need to get up, walk away from my desk, leave the office and do a lap of the city before I respond to the Rob Rose comparison.

Reply #302793 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Totally agree with KingJames, very well said!

Reply #302794 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Loco, likewise I am going to have to go for a walk around the block and possibly find a shooting range before I respond on the Rose comparison.

Reply #302799 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

JOaRiDrAN were you guys the ones on Fox, yelling every free throw?

Reply #302803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we should have definitely gone after Homicide. There are heaps of great players who have improved teams who have never won champtionships - I don't think that can be a sole indicator of whether he can lead a team to wins.

Reply #302805 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Here's a thought - is the aim of a professional basketball team to entertain the spectators or win games. I think if I was an owner, I would prefer the team to win games and the Championship. A winning season and especially a Championship winning season means more sponsors, more corporate box sales, more season ticket holders, more walkup ticket sales and more merchandise sales. It enables better coaching and support staff, along with better training facilities. Therefore the running costs of the team are covered and it may then attract players who may not otherwise come to Adelaide. Just look at the financial benefit that AFL Premiership teams rake in.

Williams would be a great addition to Adelaide and great to watch, but one Champion player doesn't make a Championship winning Team. It is the overall team balance,structure and the Coach. That is the point I was making in the analogy with Rose.

Reply #302807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that point above is the entire reason why the NBL is struggling. i think you need to entertain the spectators for them to even go and watch a winner team. They won't like boring structured basketball. Yes the people who talk on these forums are true fans, but the league needs the average australian to start going to the games, and they'll only go to the games if the game is entertaining. They won't go to the games if its balanced and structed.

Reply #302811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clubs want to win it all and they will follow the lead of Perth (structured, defence-oriented team) to do it. Would Perth get Homicide? Doubt it (look at their guards!). Do they even have a show-time player? Not really. Do they get strong crowds and a good atmosphere? Certainly seem to from what I've seen on TV.

Reply #302814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Melbourne, Sydney, Queensland teams get strong crowds? not really. Perth and Adelaide people are known to get behind their teams and are very passionate and loyal, those clubs shouldn't be so concerned, it's the rest of the clubs that have the problem getting people to the games. And i'm sure Perth and Adelaide could use some more excitement to get more viewers on TV and even more people attending the games.

Reply #302817 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Not for the Sixers,shannon is a good fit and team man while Homicide is a great player wants to take the game into his own hands and shows whose boss on basketball court.Townsville got rid of him because he was getting too cocky oncourt other players didnt like it.

Reply #302818 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Just hate the written word, what seems to make sense in the context of what I have written can so easily be interpreted another way when read. By "overall team balance,structure and the Coach", the context I was refering to was the right ratio of Centres, forwards and guards, veteran and young players, along with a Coach that gets the best out of the players at his disposal.

When the 36ers were at their most entertaining back in the 1998 - 2002 era, it was the right balance of quality players that not only were entertaining to watch but also won games and Championships.

Go back to the 1984-5 era under Ken Cole and they were great to watch, as well as winning games. Look what happened when Gary Fox had almost the same group, won games but no Championships - no flair.

Dollars, Player Points, enforced Salary Caps and Team Budgets play a big part in modern NBL competition. Get the import players right and it can make a huge difference. What is harder is getting the right Australian content right. Melbourne has too many bigs and Adelaide too many smalls. Perhaps doing a mid season trade of Aussie content would be a lot more beneficial that getting a Corey Williams type.

Reply #302819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide crowds would be better if the team were winning more games and fans had confidence in their players (e.g., comes from winning).

Sydney crowds have been pretty good this season despite their horror record and near-unwatchable games.

Reply #302821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sells better to an Australian person who doesn't follow the NBL heavily? A flashy cocky american who can really gets the crowd into the game? Or a great team with little or no flair? True fans will really enjoy watching the great team just as much as the american. But the average person who doesnt follow basketball won't understand or appreciate good fundamental defense, they like crazy blocks basically, and great offense that is flashy. The NBL has good players, but to get the crowd numbers and get the game really booming again you have to appeal to the masses, which is unfortunately people who don't understand the game as much as a true fan does.

Reply #302822 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think I agree or think it's crucial. The NBA fans who say 'NBL is lame!' will never come around and are best ignored. The NBA will always be faster, bigger and brasher.

I take average (non-basketball) people to games all the time and everyone enjoys it but these people don't jump to become season ticket holders and I don't think they're the target market. (Just like I enjoyed a United game or a Crows game but don't buy season tickets or go regularly.) They don't care about huge blocks and dunks - they have probably never even really seen many.

Target kids via clinics, playing at school, district comps, etc - and none of them make their decision based on the quantity of dunks and blocks but because they like the game. From there it's a matter of awareness, price the parents have to pay and so on. Of the guests I've taken, the one this season that's been the most likely to turn into a regular attendee has been a father with a son who plays school/club and enjoys it.

Reply #302824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You obviously don't understand, if this is Adelaide and Perth, they're NOT the problem. It's the other cities, melbourne for example. People who have never seen a game or don't even know what the NBL is, which is a lot of people. See it when flipping through the channels and find it on ONE HD and it's boring. The european game style the NBL has adopted doesn't rub onto people in australia so well. Kids i coach at the rep level aren't interested in the NBL because theres little dunks, little fast breaks. It's a defensive league. Watching defense is boring to people unless your a true fan of the game. How many of those people you took to the games will most likely ever become a regular attendee, enjoying the game and being sucked in to go and wanting to go and watch again are 2 completely different things.

Reply #302828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For one thing, the European style of game is not going away. Australian basketball now is gear towards international success whether we like it or not - 40 minute games, defensive grind, etc. Going against that is just wasting time IMO and we're better off working out how to succeed with what we can change.

People who have never seen a game or don't even know what the NBL is
Those people exist in every state. They're a harder target than people already playing basketball (huge market in Victoria, for example). If they're fringe fans, they'll stay watching it on TV IMO. At no point does the TV coverage push ticket sales, season tickets, etc.

I just don't see the NBL winning over "not enough dunks" people with slightly more dunks. We're never going to get close to out-NBAing the NBA. It's just a distraction.

Clubs will all prioritise winning. They'll favour a showy player, but only if they can win games within a team structure.

Reply #302830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well then the league won't be going anywhere forward, ever since they took that approach is when the crowd numbers dropped, or is that just coincedence?

Reply #302832 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Also did a team Rose was in ever miss the playoffs? I believe that is a better indicator

Reply #302834 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Added a bit more to my post since you replied.)

Just a coincidence. There are a load of factors which is why your comment "entire reason" is meaningless exaggeration.

Crowds are pretty normal (as in no wild swings in years) across the league save for Melbourne (two crappy years in a row) and Adelaide (a bunch of crappy years in a row). The days of 10k+ crowds are long gone and part of a seriously different sporting landscape (NBA was everywhere in Australia, AFL nowhere near as strong).

8k+ to Sydney's opener and the big Dragons crowds at Melbourne derbies show that show-time isn't everything. That Sydney game with the big crowd would've been pretty vanilla with mediocre imports, etc. The early Dragons days had guys like Groves, Horvath - they only got Smith towards the end.

Reply #302836 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL does not play a European style of basketball. Teams are moving closer to the international style but our league is still very distinctive in the way it plays. Take the time to watch European games on the net and you will see the difference (within Europe as well as to here).

As for crowds, Adelaide is 2nd and Perth 4th, with a NSW team 1st and a QLD team 3rd. In terms of Melbourne, the Tigers are like Port Adelaide in the AFL, you either love them or hate them. Most Melbourne basketball people hate them. That is why when the Dragons came in they averaged 4000-5000 and Melbourne's crowds werent affected at all.

Crowd figures show that away teams have very little impact on crowds, which suggests to me that crowds are all about the home team and how well they promote themselves in the community.

Reply #302837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well i will say the Tigers promotion absolutely sucks. Half of the people here don't even know who the Tigers are.

Our league is more European like than anything else, it used to be way different in the 90's, but it's basically a European league now. It is a good league, but the crowds could be a lot higher if they appealed to the people who don't go to games at the moment, basketball could easy reach 10,000 people a game if they have the game played to what they would see as entertainment. People went to the Dragons games only in the last season and because it was an entertainment more than a game. Donta Smith was the face of the Dragons and people went to the games to see him play because he was unbelievably entertaining. People will want to see the imports dominate, they can't dominate in a European game as well. Boring games aren't value for money. Entertainment is, 2 rule changes could easily make it more entertainment, no hand-checking allowed and a defensive 3 second rule.

Reply #302838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't watch enough European basketball to make any claims of similarity, so I'll clarify my remark as "not-NBA" and that it won't change in a hurry. BA's pressure (rules, etc) are towards preparing Australian players for international competition from what I can tell.

Good point about visiting teams. Other factors are probably day of the week and time, time of year and things like that. Likeability/character of your team would be important too. Drawcards help but I don't think they need to be block-and-dunk types, just energising. Homicide isn't really a block/dunk type of player for example.

Dragons had decent crowds before Donta Smith. They were also winning games.

Reply #302839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide just throws flashy assists. The crowds were decent but basically when he arrived they started having at least 5,000 every game and then nearly 7,000 for the playoffs, the final series vs melbourne had like 8,500 every game at Hisense.

I understand they want to prepare players for International comp. But what happens if the crowds continue to dwindle and the league folds for example, which i certainly hope not. I think a successfull and very popular league would be much better then poor crowds but international preparation. Because if their banking on a International medal to produce crowds if won't happen.

Reply #302840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're banking on international success bringing more funding for the sport. Those crowds are because they're play-off games and Melbourne derbies and they were winning. I think you're overestimating the impact of Smith.

Crowds aren't really dropping and the league is on the up. If you're in Melbourne, you're just seeing first hand what the Tigers do, and that's not very much - they've always been heavily criticised for making weak attempts at marketing and that hasn't changed in years.

Not enough data out there to say whether crowds have improved since the Tigers got Homicide.

Reply #302847 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Dragons biggest drawing year was their first year when they had a non-flashy but very hard working team, averaging just under 5000. They also got out into the community a bit. The next year started well crowd wise but the team sucked and they ended up averaging just over 4000 from memory.

The third year Goorjian came in and the regular season average was in the low 4000s despite being on top and getting two derby games at home. Their semi final games drew less than 4000 from memory, their first GF game had just over 4000 but the last two were around the 9000 mark.

Donta Smith had little impact other than on the court and in merchandise sales! He was the perfect fit for that team and he and Wortho were the ultimate unselfish, hardworking but deadly when it mattered frontcourt duo.

Reply #302851 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

League wide, crowds were steady from about 2003 to last year, and this is the first year there has been a significant increase - on track for more than 10%.

In terms of style, I think youll find the real grinding style was in the mid 90s, when teams started to get professional about defence and teams didn't yet have enough shooters to counter. The higher scoring returned in the late 90s early 2000s when more teams went with a versatile PF who could shoot the ball (Brooks, Timmons, Reidy etc) to spread the ball and allow them to play a fast pace.

The NBL’s style is further from the European style now than it has probably ever been because teams look to push and quick shoot the ball even if it means bypassing the point guard, and most teams apply ball pressure all over the court, whereas it is more common in Europe (but there is variation) to play a containment style of defence.

We will never have a return to the care free style of the late 80s and early 90s though, the defence is just too good.

Reply #302852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From being involved in their main ABA affiliate club, i wouldn't think i would be overestimating his impact. The extra amount of people interested purely because of him was surprising at the time. His dunks and his flashiness got people hooked on the Dragons.

And does more funding bring in more crowds?? I agree funding would certainly help but i think the funding would increase more if you had more people watching it and going to the games. Which could eventually force Ch10 into putting more games on, but other TV networks interested. The sport's success has to go solely on the crowds, people=money

Reply #302856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think the government, through the ASC, judges its funding on league crowds.

Smith was great, it's just that numbers didnt increase after he arrived and their playoff numbers were poor until the last two games.

Reply #302860 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Paul, are the crowd sizes bigger at each game or overall because there is 1 more team?

Reply #302862 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

wasn't this post about whether the 36'ers should've picked up homicide? i think yes, he's clearly a lot better than eddie shannon. the tigers are 4-4 with him and 0-5 without him and he's top five in scoring, rebounds and assists (first) and just had a triple-double against the 36'ers. for some reason when confident, for lack of a better word, americans don't play for the team you support then they just get mocked.

Reply #302865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the crowds have been inflated somewhat by the Kings early crowds too. I think they got 8,000-9,000 in the season opener.

Reply #302869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showthread.php?t=5395

The average attendance is up just 300 extra people per game (around 3,600-3,950) and that's including the Kings big early season crowds.

I wouldn't exactly call that a "significant increase".

Reply #302871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the average for each game. An NBL release today showed they are up 9% so far compared to last year's overall average, but closer to 11% on this time last year. Take the Kings out and it drops 2%.

I would call that a pretty significant increase. Certainly the clubs would be enjoying the extra $5000+ they are getting each game on average.

Reply #302876 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Yes DB5, just got my voice back. Not the best game to go on a road trip with the boys. Atleast the crown casino felt the wrath of Adelaide

Reply #302900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754