hypothetical
Years ago

Adelaide team in SEABL

Just thought I'd see what people's thoughts were on this.

I understand that Basketball Australia is working with the State Associations, NBL teams and ABL/SEABL competitions to build a new second tier competition, now slated for a 2012 start.

With that in mind though, I was wondering why there is no team from Adelaide playing in the SEABL competition and do people think it would be of benefit to both the sport and player development?

In the old days we say the likes of the Adelaide Buffalos, Woodville Warriors and Murray Bridge Bullets compete in the competition which is clearly the 2nd best basketball league in this country.

In recent years Southern Districts have joined the competition from Queensland so that now Vic, NSW, ACT, Tas and Qld are represented. SA is involved from Mt. Gambier but surely a team from Adelaide should and could compete.

I assume it's a financial decision and a Buffalos type program may not be possible for either BSA or the 36ers. (I would have thought the Academy would have been a perfect fit for SEABL though.)

Would one of the stronger clubs not be able to compete at SEABL level as well as Central ABL or instead of? Are they not able to because of the Central ABL? Are they not able to because of BSA?

I know Forestville have looked at SEABL as an option for a number of years but nothing has ever come of it.

Like I said above this may be a wasted arguement if BA can get the 2nd tier competition up and running but I personally would love to see an Adelaide team or two compete in the SEABL competition.

Topic #24680 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

I thought the SEABL was meant to be vote to wind itself up - does anyone know if that happened? Was that for 2011 or 2012?

Reply #302781 | Report this post

Scotty G  
Years ago

Wind itself up??? SEABL will become the feeder competition to the NBL.

Reply #302787 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Scotty, my understanding is that the SEABL clubs were going to vote themselves out of business and that they would then all move into the under-pinning league. I did not think that the SEABL was simply to take on the mantle of the UPL.

Reply #302789 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO it is a great idea to have a team (or possibly 2) in the SEABL. However, it would come down to cost. Who would pay for it? I do not believe that any one team in Adelaide could afford to field a team. Are 2 or more teams going to combine to form a composite side? Can anyone honestly say that this would happen given the bias of some teams towards other teams? To compete at SEABL you would need 2 imports to keep up with the other teams. I believe the Buffalo's were funded by BASA (and I'm sure they don't have the funds now).

Reply #302923 | Report this post

hypothetical  
Years ago

BSA actually make a profit so they would be able to afford it, but they wouldn't do it.

It wouldn't be on anyone's agenda considering the fact BA still claim they'll have their UPL up in 2012, although it was orignally slated for 2011.

I guess I was more curious as to if it was possible. Could a Forestville run a team in SEABL and also a team in SA State League (CABL)? Could they run one in SEABL and not State League and still have Youth League, Reserves and Junior Division 1 teams?

Giving young South Australian's more opportunities is always a good thing. There's no doubt SA could field a very competitive team in SEABL, and with importa even more so.

Reply #302941 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

scrap the seabl n make all teams affiliate with a university

Reply #302947 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I doubt our university/education system could handle the additional costs...

Reply #302950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hypothetical,

Why would BSA run a team that loses money, around $200k, that money could better spent on increasing participation which increases further income.

Reply #302954 | Report this post

hypothetical  
Years ago

I realise that. Which is what I meant when I said they wouldn't do it. But they have money

Reply #302955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do the owner of the 36ers, but it doesn't make business sence for anyone to do it.

Reply #302958 | Report this post

hypothetical  
Years ago

Sixers owners don't really have money and Sixers certainly do not currently make money, whereas BSA does.

Reply #302973 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Universities make around 9 million each year. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. I would love to see 2 universities from each state (1 in ACT and 1 TAS) plus the AIS team play in a nation wide season fixture. Then feed there players into a 2 round, 18 players draft into the NBL.

Round 1 draft picks get a guaranteed roster spot. (Ages from 18-23) Round 2 the NBL team that drafts the player owns the rights.

Teams could be

University of South Australia
Flinders University
Victoria University
RMIT University
University of Sydney
University of NSW
University of QLD
University of Southern Queensland
University of WA
Murdoch University
University of Canberra
University of Tasmania (UTAS)
AIS

Reply #303003 | Report this post

dave-northblock  
Years ago

Nah, dunno where you got the idea the SEABL was on the way out. Too many cashed up clubs through Geelong, AIS, Canberra and Mount Gambier would never let it happen.

Curtley, the problem with giving every university a team is some are private and others are public. From an education point of view, its unfair already without adding a sporting body to any area. I guess this isnt America. Good idea though but would fall flat on its face

Reply #303020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave u need to catch up mate. SEABL is out. Feeling cased up? You serious??? AIS!? They only use SEABL as practice games and minutes for the kids. BA will either replace or take over SEABL in 2012

Reply #303024 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dave/Anon - thats what I was trying to point out. Its my understanding that the "plan" is for SEABL to voluntarily fold to make way for the UPL. I also understand they were to have voted on this already - not sure if that is the case.

I have never thought of geelong and mt gambier as cashed up either!

Reply #303084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO as far as I know the vote hasn't been completed because the final design of the UPL hasn't been agreed to.

And yes I'm sure BA would prefer SEABL fold themselves but BA will take action if it needs to.

BA need to move back to Meblourne ASAP. The NSW experiment clearly hasn't worked and the limitations of admin staff who are NSW based has helped create the divide bewteen VIC based groups such as SEABL and BA.

Moving back to the home of basketball and developing the sport outwards is in my opinion the way to go and as long as the UPL is Vic biased which I'm sure it will be (and should be) I'm sure BA and SEABL will work out their differences.

And Dave I agree with HO, Mt. Gambier is not cashed up.

Reply #303092 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, BA has never been based in Melbourne. The NBL and WNBL were until 2001, but to my knowledge, certainly for the last 30-40 years, BA have been Sydney based.

Limitations of admin staff? Anon, the SEABL and BA have not been friends for as long as I recall - BA have tolerated the SEABL but in my view never been overly fond of them because unlike the state controlled ABA leagues, the SEABL have never sat under anyone's direct government control until .....

..... a few years back the Sydney based BA admin actually did recognise SEABL for the first time, making them an affiliate of BA. My understanding however is that in the new 40/60 structure once again the SEABL have no recognition.

Thanks for your info. I was interested to know whether the vote had progressed. My mail was that one of the reason's the UPL was under threat was because it was going to be SEABL club dominated, and the other states have been notoriously suspicious of the SEABL over the years.

Reply #303106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA was Vic based. The whole sport was Vic based. Australian teams we're also completed Vic dominated because BA was Vic based. Yes it was a long time ago.

SEABL is no different to Country Cup at Junior level. A private enterprise which has been created because of a hole in the BA system.

UPL should be open to the biggest and most financially strong clubs across Australia, with a need to ensure all states are represented.

As long as that happens then all the better for the sport. And yes I'm sure that would mean most if not all the VIC/TAS positions would be taken by SEABL teams.

Reply #303119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"UPL should be open to the biggest and most financially strong clubs across Australia, with a need to ensure all states are represented."

Here is the problem, unfortunately these are conflicting statements.
No club in SA is financial enough to compete in the UPL (as much as I wish they were). And I doubt NSW teams would be either, or at least would be willing to absorb the costs (considering the players PAY to play in Waratah). I can't see any of the SBL clubs in WA joining in either, they probably have more chance of covering the costs.

As for Mount Gambier, they are far from "flush" - every year we hear reports of them struggling financially.

Reply #303128 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Dave-Northblock

"Nah, dunno where you got the idea the SEABL was on the way out. Too many cashed up clubs through Geelong, AIS, Canberra and Mount Gambier would never let it happen. "

Just FYI Dave the AIS have pulled out of the SEABL competition for the next two seasons. It was announced back in November from memory

Reply #303212 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry Anon, I did some checking and BA, throughout the history of the NBL, WNBL and SEABL/ABA have always been Sydney based - its a bit of a stretch for you to be saying "the experiment hasn't worked". The NBl was formed in 1979, the WNBL just before that and the SEABL (I think it was called SEBA or something then) around the same time.

Its a bloody long experiment! 30+ years at least. You can hardly blame the rift between SEABL and BA on the move when BA were in Sydney when they were formed!

I'll stand by my original comment. To my knowledge BA have never ever been based in Melbourne.

Reply #303462 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

I doubt many will see this as this is an old thread. But word on the grapevine is that the 36ers will pick an academy team next year (not just 2 development players like this year).

This academy team will play in the SEABL under the Flinders University name. Flinders will fund flights and uni scholarships for players.

Essentially ten 36er development players will wear flinders university uniforms and play in the SEABL in 2012. [This is just a rumour, but from a good source]

Reply #314432 | Report this post

Hg  
Years ago

That's a bloody good rumour , Are the cashiers there funding the te themselves

Reply #314436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rick would have happened this year if the 36ers had their way.

Reply #314449 | Report this post

Spur  
Years ago

HG, +1 for the chuckle

Reply #314463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754