Frangapani
Years ago

A New Women's Team is Needed!

Anyone got any money?
BSA, how about putting your money where your mouth is and rescuing S A's drowning basketball reputation by funding a new women's team?

The only curiosity in the Lightning is from punters trying to get a bet on the AIS beating them again in round 17 but apart from that, interest in women's basketball in the state of churches has been killed off courtesy of this dysfunctional basketball team.

The Lightning illustrates why private ownership won't work in a country that has a small population with an even smaller proportion of that population that follow basketball.No one can blame the owner for wanting to provide a vehicle for his daughter and no doubt he's paid a hefty price for the privilege of doing so but the cost to the sport will be even more significant long term.

The once proud lightning has lost its way and current topics of conversations, when held,revolve around why such good players continually leave, why coaches are sacked and if they have any hope of a long term future under the current arrangements.

The premiership was soiled by the club sacking the coach who put the players together then we lost the premiership coach and today most couldn't tell you who's coaching them. All the talk about the future of basketball in SA by BSA and it appears to be oblivious to the plight of our elite women's basketball team and not in the least interested in its resurrection.

1.2 million South Australians can't copy and paste formulas that work in states with 6 million and which have vibrant economies and state of the art infrastructure.We need a leg up provided by the basketball peak body and we need it now. I'll be happy to keep playing in my tin hut with two courts but I want to see the elite team picked on ability and merit and not be beholding to anyone.

Topic #24707 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide can't field 2 WNBL teams. Interest is too small. Lightning will be back in BSA's hands next season, at a stretch the season after.

Reply #303267 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Don't we already have two teams to follow; the Lightning and the Rangers.

Reply #303275 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I suppose dandenong makes sense with 4 former Lightning players, although only Bishop is a SA born player. Perhaps Logan could be considered with Francis, Camino and Veal being either South Aussies and/or former Lightning players. Perhaps Townsville with 3 SA born former Lightning players, or Bendigo and Canberra, both with 3 SA born or former Lightning players. The current Lightning Team does have 5 SA born players in it.

Wouldnt it be nice to get a few South Aussie girls back into the Lightning - Veal, Madgen, Francis, Bishop would make a nice addition.

Reply #303295 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

I don't understand why you think that just because players played their junior ball in SA that they are obligated to play for the Lightning, they are not. Look at all the other teams with Victorian players I don't ever hear Rangers, Bulleen or Bendigo complaining about how many vics are playing in other teams. You need to get over the fact that just because the club is based in Adelaide it doesn't automatically mean that SA born players are going to go and play back there. This is professional sport and players are going to go to teams that they feel they are going to get the best opportunity to play and develop, so perhaps instead of complaining that the likes of Veal and Bishop aren't playing for the lightning maybe you should consider why the likes of other quality players regardless of state aren't interested in playing for your club?

Reply #303298 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Does anyone honestly believe that BSA will buy back the Lightning. BSA is having enough trouble financing itself. IMO Vince will continue to finance the Lightning or another owner or group will buy the team (but don't ask me who).

Reply #303305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive got $5 to buy the team...does anyone have change?

Reply #303307 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Missing the point Pete, no one is whinging or suggesting that these players should be obligated to play for the Lightning at all. The point made tongue in cheek by Big Ads and furthered by myself is that there are a number of team that have several South Australians or ex Lightning players that could be followed in lieu of the Lightning.

In regards to Bulleen, Dandenong and Bendigo complaining about Victorians playing in other states, name one that that would make their starting fives other than Jess Bibby and Nat Porter?

Players are actually doing as you suggest in seeking the best professional opportunity to further their Basketball career and everyone understands this. It is unfortunate since Vince Marino has bought the team, that most of the Championship winning players have left and not only aren't top players being attracted to Adelaide, but South Australian players are not interested either. However, while Mr Marino owns the Team, there is nothing anyone can do.

Reply #303312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON12 basketball SA will take back re lightning but not by choice. They need to ensure the lightning exist to give SA juniors something to play toasted. BSA are not struggling financially and while they would not want to take on the extra cost of the lightning I'm quite sure they will when Vince's money runs out.

Reply #303318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This time last year everyone as after Vicki, saying how Bad her coaching was. Marty is on the rack for his coaching but Steve's coaching there is a lot to be desirable but nobody is saying anything. Stop continually going on about the Owner of the Team, Vince, maybe the Coaching Staff, and there is enough of them on the bench, should be answerable. This Team is not that back, just it is young with no one helping them. Look at Perth - a young side and they are performing. So come on Steve, David etc start coaching. Give Lightning back it's pride

Reply #303328 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

No one is having a go at Steve and the coaching staff, you can only work with the players you have. It is the ability to retain existing quality players and attract quality new ones that seems to be the problem. Whether or not it is the supposed "Angela Factor", lack of $$$ put into player recruitment or perhaps a lifestyle decision not to live in Adelaide, the team has gone drastically downhill since the first year of private ownership.

Something is not right - no one is canning the current coaches or players - when so many players leave and top players do not want to play here.

Reply #303331 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

The owner has played a very big part in the demise of the team and the writing is on the wall. Yes he saved the team from extinction but it's pretty much dead now anyway!
Vince is going to be forced to sell very soon anyway so hopefully the next owner will do a better job!

Reply #303334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro a lot has to do with the Coaching, a good coach gel a team together so it can be a Team at the moment it is not happening Lightning are not playing as a Team because there is not leadership, a Good team will always beat a team of champions. It is not the players or owner.

Reply #303352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Majority of quality players left before SJ took over coaching duties, right?

Reply #303358 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Angela Marino is cute, very cute.

Reply #303365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac
they left because of his complete lack of experience and respect or desire to recruit players to the team.

He is responsible for the team HE put on the floor.

Buck stops with him.

Have you witnessed any games?

Reply #303369 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not just talking about this off-season just been.

Reply #303374 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Dear Anonymous '352, where in my post have I referred at all to the current players and their performance? Secondly, I have not even mentioned the coaching staff in the relationship to the current player performance.

I was a bit surprised when Steve was announced as Coach but even if Tom Maher or Carrie Graf was in charge of the current group of players, it is unlikely that the team would have had more than a few more wins. The big difference is that it is likely that the purse strings had been loosened, the Coach would have selected the players and it is likely that a few better quality players would be in the Lightening uniform this season.

In response to Anonymous '369, a Coach can only work with the player payment budget he has. In regards to "his complete lack of experience and respect or desire to recruit players to the team", have you ever bothered to find out anything about Breheny?

To quote part of an article on NBL.com.au, "Breheny, 54, has extensive experience across all areas of basketball, including the women's scene, having coached Coburg in the WNBL in 1987-88, winning the Australian Club Championship in both years.

As a player at St Kilda, Geelong and Coburg, he was instrumental in the Saints' 1979-80 NBL title-double and played for Australia at the 1980 Moscow Olympics and 1982 world championship.

As an NBL coach, he held the reins at Canberra Cannons (1989-90) and Geelong Supercats (1992-93) before turning to an assistant role and helping North Melbourne to the 1994 crown.

After his 1994-97 stint at the Giants, Breheny joined Phil Smyth at Adelaide for 11 years, winning championships in 1998-99-2002."

Yep, Anonymous, complete lack of experience.....

However, coaching Women is a lot different to Coaching Men's teams I will agree.

Reply #303376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro

Thats gives him no experience as a head coach of women in the last 23 years?

It shows

Reply #303380 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

BSA looking for money,man won Lotto recently
Lives at Edwardstown,loves his money and basketball

Marino nice but no upper chest

Reply #303381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the hell got rid of valks sidekick Tanya Dhu,i miss that cute bottom in those all so sexy tight pants.

Reply #303395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, someone hired him despite that, right?

Reply #303397 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Actually I wasnt aware that the women played a different game of basketball to the men - same court, rings are the same height and size, rules are the same, etc. They seen to also have Centres, forwards and guards as well.

Did you actually read my last sentence - "However, coaching Women is a lot different to Coaching Men's teams I will agree."

I agree with you - I have coached several womens teams at various levels over the years and it isnt the Basketball knowledge that causes issues, it is the inability of a coach to understand that each and every player in the team is an individual when relating to that person. What works for one, doesnt work for another, as well as the different emotional make up of female players.

The ability to relate is most important within a womens team. However they are professionals and if they want to be treated as such, such issues should not arise.

The bottom line is that the Lightening are not winning games as they havent got the level of talent as other teams.

Reply #303401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reasons for not having the talent include the coach and the useless program that is the lightning ushiro.

He chose to leave recruiting to the last minute cos he didn't have the networks to recruit.

He has no defensive system which allows other teams to score at will.

Let's have a new start next year with a new coach and a good one!!

Reply #303406 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

... and who would that Coach be Anon, who will provide the extra cash to fund the team and which new and good coach will apply for the position without serious money available, ie at the top of the salary cap, to recruit players.

You get what you can afford and pay for unfortunately and this season has proven that even more than in the past few.

Reply #303426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Chris Lucas - it all went downhill once they sacked him.

Reply #303455 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed some of it not all of it on ABC TV today.
Lightning v Sydney.
Seemed the bad passing more than anything.
Not much D , but then the switch to zone worked, and
American WNBA Import Walker doesn't understand what Breheny is saying at time outs.

Reply #304048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would it make any difference camel, I think not. Probably a good time for Coach B to hang up the coaching shingle and take up lawn bowls.

Reply #304052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754