Fizzle
Years ago

Blaze Hawks Refs

Second quarter, and the refs have just embarrassed the NBL with about 2minutes of brain implosion stuff! Whats happening this year?? Worse than usual and shockingly consistant. I loathe Wortho, but even ill admit, Davidson smashed him good with that elbow, yet points counted and a double foul? Then Forman breathed as Goulding layed it up and the and 1 was called sighhhhh

Topic #24708 | Report this topic

Yoshmite Sam  
Years ago

Whats the score? Can't seem to get live scores workin and don't have OneHD. Cheers!

Reply #303261 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Blaze by 12 at half, Hawks competely different team without Saville, and dare i say it, Earvin is entering a slump in the season. Forcing shots and very ineffective.

Reply #303262 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well, now they will start the live scores at
" 5 O'clock "

Reply #303264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

umps are a disgrace for both teams. there killing the nbl atm so soft.

Reply #303268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin lost the game for the hawks at the end with an unnecessary foul and throwing up a brick.

Reply #303269 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

You gotta feel for the Hawks! They did so much to get back into a game they seemingly had no right to be in, and then Coenarad commits 3 tos in OT and Rhys Martin decides its his time to shine after Oscar makes a massive triple. ou almost think, the hawks lost that more so than the Blaze won it. Mcloud will be tearing strips off some of those players.

Reply #303270 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Rhys Martin brain explosion!

Reply #303273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is a scrub. Congrats scumbag, you just cost the Hawks the game but trying to act the hero.

Reply #303274 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

earvin tore shreds off him when that foul was called straight after the 'Kobe heroics'. Man that would be one awkward changeroom right now....how does a role player mentally recover from that? he committed the foul, which prevented the Blaze from having to make a buzzer beater, THEN finished it off for the Blaze, by shooting whatever that was.

Reply #303276 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Wow what was Rhys Martin thinking with the foul then the coast to coast - terrible shot selection.

Reply #303278 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Seriously what was Rhys Martin thinking?

Reply #303297 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

36ers should go after Demos.
He had a great game last night, and IMO he is an upgrade from Darren Ng.
He is more versatile than Ng--He can stroke the 3, Get to the rack with a quick first step and he plays excellent in your face defence.

Demos is a really tough cover. Problem with Ng is that he is one-dimensional--When he isnt stroking the 3, he isn't doing too much else.

Reply #303302 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Gouldings shot with 1sec left on the shotclock was :wow:
Foul called on Oscar with Goulding going for a layup was a joke and the other ref had the points wiped off Davidsons shot after he elbowed Worthington I'm pretty sure and they just called it a double foul. Davidsons a decent player but dirty as hell chucking elbows and shoves left right and centre every game.
Ira Clark is a beast, that dunk he missed would have been absolutely huge if it had gone down, got me off the couch anyway lol
Good win for Gold Coast

Reply #303303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

re that foul on Oscar, the refs called one on Holmes against Melbourne as well when he was clearly out of the way and avoiding contact. Yet how many times did Hill take it to the basket against NZ, hang, and get bumped by 2-3 players without any call? Confuses me. Newcomers must have no idea what's going on.

Reply #303304 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

I think that foul may have been Gordies call- Hawks successfully defended the last shot going in to OT and you have a choice- defend again and have no time if Blaze make last shot or go to the line or risk them going to line early and Hawks having 12 seconds to win it. With Coeenraad and Demos fouled out and Clark gone for Blaze maybe Gordie thought it was better chance to win it and less chance if going in to 2nd OT. He didn't have a timeout so it had to unfold- Martin being forced or lured into the corner made for a difficult last shot but a pass in those situations also carries a risk so the armchair critics maybe are unreasonable as we always are on any perceived stuff up.

The other factor is what are the refs going to give you in that last 30 secs -soft fouls -well not usually but never can tell -often no calls unless clear foul but thats another unknown- most likely someone is going to have to make a shot and that is why there are often 3s taken at that stage because a 3 with an open shot is higher percentage than a hotly contested drive in the last play of the game when refs are in NO CALL mode.

Reply #303316 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Gordie definately did call for the foul. The Hawks guards were backing up and ready to play half court defense and McLeod went nuts telling them to get up and foul. The plan almost worked as Wortho missed one shot and they had a good chance at the win. Martin probably did get fouled, but with the way the game was called it would have been a complete lottery to get a call right anyway.

Reply #303320 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I can't work out how they called a double foul. Worthington Foul was clearly a second or more before Davidson's. If they don't foul at the same time, it can't be called a double foul. Should have been hand check on Wortho followed by USF on Davidson.

Either way basket shouldn't have counted as offensive contact occured before the release of the ball. The Points did count hence why the ball came in from the baseline.

Reply #303330 | Report this post

Wave  
Years ago

I did not see the play but the fouls only have to be at aprox the same time for a double foul

Reply #303333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure what bit of contact Wortho was called for, but the first bump was quite separate from Davidson's exaggerated elbow. I think Davidson moved a couple of steps in between so FM's thoughts seem fair to me.

Reply #303336 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think the ref just shat himself and realised that he had to call smething or all hell was about to break loose, he couldnt actually work out who did what so rather than piss off one team more than the other decided to go with a double foul. I cant stand Davidson and think he gets away with way too much at times but ge he got screwed a couple of times last night.

I personally hate reading the constant crap about how bad the refs were etc etc but the first half last night was incredible. Not sure what the refs name is was but the guy with a flat top seemed like he was out to get on camera as much as possible. At one stage he called a charge and pranced half way down the court while giving the hand signals it was as though he was auditioning for X Factor.

Just do your job and leave it at that, I pay to watch the players, not you you twit!

Reply #303345 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

when that ref calls 'travel' he looks like my dog when it's got worms !!

Reply #303350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statman he actually discussed the incident with Scott Butler on his way to the bench. Scott also had a whistle on the play and obviously had called the elbow.

They discussed it and together decided that both fouls had to be called and therefore called a double foul.

Points counted, fouls cancelled each other out.

Seeing them on slow motion replay it sees like a long time between contacts but in real life mode the two contacts happened quite quickly after the other, also the elbow wasn't anywhere near as bad as Worthington made it seem. Or as bad as plenty of elbows some players get away with.

Reply #303355 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Raoul Kirsten was the poor ref last night, calling the game soft and completely differently from his two compatriots, who I thought reffed very well. And yes, it was Kirsten who fluffed the double foul call.

Isaac, the call on Oscar was overly soft but it is completely different when a defender is running and out of position to when an offensive player drives at the defence. You cant really compare those situations.

The newcomers must have no idea what's going on line would apply for pretty much every sport.

Reply #303357 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

lets just all be grateful we didnt have to watch sydney kings get pumped again

Reply #303446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some info on Hawks injury scares:

The Wollongong Hawks are facing a crippling injury crisis just three days out from Friday's vital grand final rematch with the Perth Wildcats.

Already without Glen Saville (knee) for at least another fortnight, the Hawks could lose Gary Ervin (suspected broken finger), Larry Davidson (back, ankle), Oscar Forman (sternum) and Mat Campbell (calf) for the crucial road meeting with the Wildcats.

Forman's injury is cause for concern, with him coughing up blood during and after Sunday night's loss to the Gold Coast Blaze.
More info via tweets from Oscar:
Chest x-rays this morning to clear me after coughing up blood during game vs blaze. Not much blood this morning so should be all fine.
X-ray report says everything is all normal. So maybe it's just excess blood from that rare steak I ate the other night.
Ran into Gary Ervin as I was leaving xrays. He's getting his finger checked. Unlikely to be broken though.

Reply #303478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754