Flinders80
Years ago

NBL Teams: Where does the money go

Ok hypothetical, and I know I am making some massive assumptions in this and I'm happy to change figures to work it out. But with ownership of an NBL team not always being a great business decision I thought it might be interesting to work out where all the money goes.

So here are my assumed figures

Average Attendence: 3500 (could be higher or lower depending on the team)
Cost of Game Night Ticket: $20 (factored this as an average with season tickets and walk up tickets)
Game Night Expenses = 20% of game night total
Annual Operating Expenses = 30% of total season revenue
Salary Cap = $1,000,000

Here are my calculations:

Game Night Revenue: $70,000
Game Night Expenses: $14,000

Total Season Revenue: $1,960,000
Total Season Game Expenses: $392,000
Total Season Operating Expenses: $588,000
Total Salary Cap Expense: $1,000,000

Total: -$20,000

Key discussion points
- Is $588,000 enough to cover the operating expenses of the business for the year
- Is $14,000 a reasonable figure for game night expenses
- What % of tickets are give aways

Topic #24747 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

If you are Sydney, 90%

Reply #303760 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Good point mystro. They are putting on quite a game night that must be costing them.

Reply #303762 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Salary Cap does not include Coaches, admin staff, support staff.
To have a guess
Coaches 250K
Admin/Office 350K
Support staff 80K

Thats 680K

Then venue hire 200K
Plus Salary Cap 1000K

Plus travel, accommodation , marketing blah blah

My stab would be 2.5 mil to run a team

Reply #303766 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

You are also forgetting sponsorship for income

Reply #303768 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

are they selling any merchandise? that must bring something in..

Reply #303769 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

from good authority 2.5m if you are the hawks to over 3.5 if you are perth

Reply #303772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see how merchandise would be all that lucrative once you factor in costs of production and other hassles.

Reply #303773 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Thanks ITK - I just thought about coaches also.

I counted merhcandise and marketing as an operating cost so I was extreme under assuming all these costs.

I did not include sponsorship as I wanted to see how much sponsorship as team needs to break even.

Reply #303774 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Questions

What would be the percentage of game night expenses?

What would be the percentage of operating expenses?

And by other accounts if it cost 2.5 to 3.5 to run a team then the ownership must find around 1.5Mil in sponsorship to break even.

Reply #303775 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sorry that should be

And by other accounts if it cost 2.5 to 3.5 to run a team then the ownership must find around 500K to 1.5Mil in sponsorship to break even.

Reply #303776 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Flinders,
I think you are close at your last comment
"ownership must find around 500K to 1.5Mil in sponsorship to break even"
I am very sure they will not pull those sort of figures.
I heard somewhere that all the clubs were down last year between 300K and 800K
All adds up!

Reply #303778 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

dont forget about the team doctors, physios etc. not to mention continuous medical supplies that players need.

Reply #303780 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I also wondered if NBL teams get any slice of the ONEhd pie. Or does that all go to the NBL.

Reply #303781 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

SRT I figured those cost would also be part of the operating costs.

I guess where this is going is wondering why business man go into owning a team unless their pockets are extremely deep.

Reply #303782 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

and hence why ticket prices need to be up that high

Reply #303783 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

well thats the question flinders. Some because they love the sport and the team which is the impression i get from SOS and the belief that if they get the team back to winning that they can turn over a profit.

others with really deep pockets use it as a tax write off.

Reply #303784 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Income =
- Games Nights = $1,960,000 (based on 28 Games, 3500 Attendance and $20 tickets)
- Sponsorship = ?
- Media = ?
- Merchandice = ?

Expesnes = $3,000,000
- Salary Cap = $1,000,000
- Operating = $2,000,000

Need to find an extra $1,000,000 each year. Wow love of the sport = yes, deep pockets = better have.

Reply #303788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flinders, remember to only count home games.

Reply #303790 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

wow - what a massive floor in my assumption. Cheers Isaac, now I'm massively confused why smart business man buy teams

Reply #303791 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

what a fail - haha

Reply #303792 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Flinders, put your theory into practice and buy a team and let us know how it goes :P

Reply #303793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Massive "flaw". Save the massive floors for the Dome. ;)

People buy in because they like the sport, think they can make it work (some right, some wrong) and are the type that can't stand back from a challenge.

Some expenses may be partly covered by contra-sponsorship deals. These are pretty common in basketball.

Corporate seating and boxes would bring in a bit (where they are not contra arrangements).

Reply #303795 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

What about the corporate boxes ? I am sure they would bring in way above $20 per person assuming the rest of the crowd average is at $20

Reply #303799 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Crocs (and most other teams) have to rent the stadium - Adelaide dont do they???

Anyway i believe we have to pay about $20k per night for rent at the TECC

Reply #303801 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i think when i was reading up in the brochure one of the sponsor boxes up on the north side is 10k a year (correct me if im wrong). that does include free beer and some food i believe??

Reply #303802 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah the nbl would sell the tv rights to media ie onehd. in the case of the nba they would get money from selling it to espn or whoever sells it but would also sell its games overseas ( as in onehd would pay to screen so many games etc. ).

then the nbl would give each team a share of the revenue, that would be negotiated at some point but is likely to be fairly low. the afl broadcast rights sold for 780million for 5 years but i believe that teams get something like 3million a year of that (maybe works out to 240m over the deal to all teams).

Reply #303805 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

DJ Rod, Sixers do pay rent for the stadium. this was the issue when Eddie groves was going bankrupt is that people didnt know if we would still be playing there but a deal was struck between the bank and the sixers i believe, However the sixers were looking to buy it but didnt have the funds. That would have been rent free.

Reply #303806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corporate boxes are closer to $20k. Doubt they include food/drink which is probably on consumption.

Reply #303807 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I have often wondered why owners bothers all the fuss to own a sport team, everytime thinking about it I have more respect for them. but in a way I guess it's a great way to boost their ego.

I don't think teams would get a cut of TV money, could be wrong but I think it's unlikely. Most of the money is made from playoff games. Regular seasons are built to help break even and post season to try make some money back. for some teams like Tigers there's only like 2500 capacity?

Reply #303818 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

For Adelaide too, don't forget the inclusion of the Hollywood Seating as well (few clubs do this now).

If all the seats sell out, there's about $5000 from those seats alone.

Keep in mind the following too:

Platinum Ticket - Car Park Pass = $620 per season / 15 Games = $41.00 per game for Platinum ticket.

If you can sell 200+ Platinum tickts, that's about $8200 per game for the Platium tickets. So there's around 13-14k per game in the higher rollers. Now add your remaining season tickets (Gold + Silver) to that to get a guaranteed total each game.

Now add the general admission tickets at $20 per game for the remaining seats. You'll find that's a hell of a lot and would cover the cost of renting the stadium, food and other misc items.

Reply #303821 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Do you need to factor in the $1m bank guarantee to costs? Only if you go belly up I guess...

Reply #303827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, might be wrong, but I doubt they sell (m)any of those Hollywood Seats. I'd guess they are used as prizes and the like.

Reply #303828 | Report this post

bankshot  
Years ago

36ers also get hit up about 80k by council to use the car park

Reply #303831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starks, I guess it depends if you actually put up the 1 million dollar guarantee like teams like Cairns and Wollongong were made to!

Reply #303832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the best way to make the NBL profitable, is through non-basketball means. As in, attach some hotels or another asset to the license, so you not only own the team, but those hotels. This can be an alternative profit making source to cover for a league where it is almost impossible to make a profit without ruining the game.

Reply #303833 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If your Brian Goorjian you need to remember to factor in the suppliment budget. From all reports it's a killer.

Reply #303834 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Flinders, don't buy a team, you can't spell, let alone count.wow - what a massive floor in my assumption Did yo mean "flaw".

Reply #303853 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

you - that crappy keyboard again.

Reply #303854 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, sorry, but had to laugh!

Reply #303858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sponsor boxes usually include food and all drinks with limits on the drinks.
Factor that in as well.
Naming rights for a team about $300K yr

Reply #303859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ Rod - certainly do rent the Dome - Eddy Groves doesn't let them use it out of the goodness of his heart!

Corp Suite is $26k a season from memory (catering additional)

Reply #303874 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isaac, please don't use 'and the like', I thought for a second you were Camel 31!

What does 'and the like' even mean?

If you mean it, just say it!

Reply #303878 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Teams like the Breakers also have the cost of running their training facility and it's cafe for players and staff and their families ect.

Reply #303884 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

doc, I have a very short attention span and start writing the next post before I've finished the previous one. "And the like" is code for "too lazy to write the rest of the list so you work it out" - means "more of the same."

In this case, prizes, incentives, gifts, celebrity treats - all about perceived value.

---

'874 is correct. Corp suite is $26k sans food/bev. Then there is corporate seating courtside as well. I think season ticket in row 3-4 is about $600-800ish. Remember that some portion will be contra though or purchased with sponsorship.

Reply #303896 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

kb3's figures are pretty close to the estimates I have heard. I think Breakers are higher than Perth though with academy, training facility etc.

Reply #303939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754