BALLER#3
Years ago

Better high stakes hoops

My ideas for a better high stakes hoops if it ever happened again.

Venues:
Play a round in a different city every time, this would mean that people wouldnt get bored of watching and crowds would rise. eg. 2 games at each city with rounds at sydney, brisbane and melbourne and semis at adelaide and placing rounds at perth (game for 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th). also tip offs at 6.30 and 8.30 so at a good time to watch games not during work hours.

Teams:
4 teams 2 games in each city 3 rounds before finals. Less teams, less games = less boredom for people that like to watch a game or two but dont wanna watch basketball for 8 hours straight. Also teams have a max of 10 players per team.

Incentives:
Players get paid to dunk and dunk well, eg. there will be a dunk comp in the finals, and during the 3 regular rounds a panel will watch the games and choose 4 players who have excited the crowd the most with the best dunks. The 4 players selected automatically get a cash prize and the winner of the dunk comp obviously gets a further prize. This would make the players want to dunk more and do exciting dunks more because they get money if they do well, and at the same time it makes the game more exciting for the spectators.

Money:
because at different cities at regular times, i will estimate crowds to be 4000 x the average ticket (20) x rounds (5) = 400000 just off tickets.

100 000 for running 5 rounds, 300 000 for prizes.

20 000 for each player on the winning team and coach (11) is 220 000.
10 000 for each dunker in the dunk comp plus a further 10 000 for the winner = 270 000.
3000 for each second team player and coach = 293 000

7000 profit before any sponsor ship alone!

Thats just the tip of the block in ideas to make this thing better, feel free to add more ideas!

Topic #24749 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

Host the event on a damn weekend this time would be a good start!

Not sure about moving it between cities, these arent proper teams, i dont think they would have the kind of funding to travel around from city to city but would be nice.

i would be in favour of moving the entire event between city every year more so than have a couple of games here or there.

Reply #303815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they dont let this concept die. Its a good concept just need to keep it going and get more interest over the yrs.

Reply #303816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know if it will still go ahead again this offseason haven't heard anything but I do remember JVG saying he intended to do it again this year and back in Adelaide again.

Reply #303820 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You're dreaming if you think you will get 4000 people to each game! More like 500-1000. NBL games struggle to get 4000 to a game whether due to capacity reasons or not enough crowd.

Reply #303822 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Optimistic sales figures and doesn't seem to include travel costs.

Reply #303826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he made it insolvent it lost too much $.
had potential but he does it all his way and doesnt listen so that may have contributed to it loosing $.

Reply #303829 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

As a filler program for OneHD and an opportunity for the OneHD production crew to get some practice, it was successful. As a showcase/recruitment tournament, who got a contract that lasted?

Concept isnt a bad idea, just the execution. Will be interesting if it happens again, especially to see if they have learnt anything from the first one.

Reply #303837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really like your dunking idea, would see some great dunks as a result.

Reply #303839 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i think one of the problems was i wanted to follow it but most people are not keen to watch 3 games in a row of bball, i recorded all the days play thinkin i'll watch everyday, but that didnt happen

the timimng was bad an it lacked any atmosphere at all, the idea is good just need some thing extra expec if looked to market the game on TV, geez make it corny an have viewers vote on who stays on a team or something lol it needs something more

Reply #303846 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

i dont think 4000 crowd is a un-achievable figure, with the right advertising etc. i think it could happen. even if you got 3000 to each game you would still atleast get close or break even with sponsor ship and other endorsment.

Reply #303848 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think 2,000 would be a big step up. And I think $20 is far too high as a ticket price, even for a day of games.

$10 per session, $5 for late arrivals (catching the last game or so). Play it over a long weekend rather than weekdays. Gear it all around TV. Somehow mask the empty stadium.

I'd also try shorter games (four five minute quarters), each team playing 2-3 times a day, and another 1-2 experimental rules beside the gamebreaker. 48 minute games of squads with no identity was just a bit too long.

The concept of people buying (or buying into) a team for the comp was great and I know it's interested a few people if it happens again.

To increase interest in random teams, what if every ticket purchaser was assigned a random team from the pool and shared the prize money (like a lottery) if they won?

Or (and this is a half-baked idea) you could even register your interest in a team when you bought your ticket, but obviously the more people that supported that team, the smaller the winning share? Might encourage people to throw their support behind a wildcard squad?

Reply #303850 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

They need to make a long term plan and possibly use current NBL teams like a NBA summer league format but with prize money. Therefore teams can try out imports etc for the coming NBL season. Have 2 cities for pool games and then move to another city for finals.

Plan it out for a 5 year plan that would start with low ticket/crowd numbers and work up to larger ticket prices and larger crowd number and eventually big prize money.

BTW the more i think about my dunking idea the more i think its going to work. Maybe even in the NBL to make it more exciting?

Reply #303855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Baller, you might not have seen me post it before, but a year or two ago, I suggested a company put up a Dunk Bounty for the best NBL dunks of the season. Enough money that players start thinking about it in games and instead of going for the safe dunk, they cock it back and throw down something with power.

Hopefully some company runs with it. NBL should pitch it to some good prospects and promise good coverage on OneHD, Overtime, web, etc.

Reply #303860 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Isaac i only started posting on here a little over a year ago i think so i didn't see it, but obviously great minds think alike.

Id like to see a company sponsor this and each week on overtime they announce a dunk of the week and the player takes home some cash. Maybe a slam dunk comp sometime during the season. I have never been to an NBL dunk competition before but from youtube i have seen that they are a waste of time so maybe not.

Reply #303862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think we have the talent in the league for a dunk comp. In the past, the best dunkers have been fringe players which doesn't always look great. Guys like Rainbow, Broom, Bartlett. Could just leave it to in-game dunks but give players more incentive.

Reply #303864 | Report this post

Years ago

need to play on weeknights and weekends - so the average worker can get there

Reply #303865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to the last All-Star game here in Adelaide and the dunk comp was embarrassing. From memory it was Willie Farley, Rhys Carter, Steven Broom (Bullets DP) & some other guy and they were all blowing near basic one handed jams cocked half way back.

Farley won solely because he was the least terrible and I remember him putting a ball rack supposedly to jump over and dunk it but instead chickened out at the last minute and just jumped alongside it. He also jumped over a little girl who wouldn't have even been up to his waist and he did that by parting his legs too.

Good idea and whatever but if you're giving out a dunk of the week award 80% of the wins will be given to guys squeaking one home or gently putting it over the rim with two hands.

I wouldn't bother as you might find it makes the NBL look worse than it needs too.

Reply #303880 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Creek, Abercrombie and Johnson would put on a good show.

Reply #303893 | Report this post

bankshot  
Years ago

actually Carlos Powell won that dunk comp

Reply #303895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'880, it was a kid in a backpack with a mobile phone camera that he jumped along side. There was a huge build-up and it was a bit of an anti-climax. They might get better mileage by having an increasingly difficult array of dunks to tick off, two attempts at each tier (two choices per tier). Last man standing wins.

Begin with simple stuff then progress to rocking the cradle, Eastbay funk, reverse pump, 360, dunks off lobs, etc. Otherwise creativity is crucial and I don't think enough NBL players have the sheer athleticism to pull-off anything never-before-seen that's going to impress a crowd.

As for in-game dunks, Ira Clark's had a few this year. Abercrombie's had a few too. Creek's dunk on debut was solid. There'd probably be enough for Overtime to pick a dunk each week and give out a toothbrush.

Reply #303897 | Report this post

igotskills  
Years ago

open the dunk comp up to all(abl, backyarders, commoners etc).
Have a dunk comp for locals at half time of a local NBL game(try outs first to make sure they can actually dunk OK) then the winners go onto the all star game and get to go against NBL talent in the pools then only the best in the finals.
This way the NBL guys will actually try as don't want to get shown up by a commoner and the public will watch to see how their mates go etc.

id like to see majok, abercrobie, creek plus a few others.

Reply #303902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Footlocker gave big prize money and covered some other costs. Teams paid $10,000 each to enter and Eddy put up the Dome. A good start , but only 50 people turned up for the first game.
Imagine you should play outside working hours and show it on TV , next day.
Sometimes Creek and Johnson dunk pretty good.
Harris a lot. - I was hoping the ring would stay on.

Reply #303903 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, was there in 2007 for that AllStar game. Powell and Farley were the only contenders to start with.

Farley actually did some better dunks than Powell; think it came to a shock to most at the Dome that Powell won it; granted it was a bias crowd, but still would have called Farley on it. Awesome reverse Windmill jam.

Reply #303912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wont happen in Adelaide again. They will not get the support of stats/score table who were promised money, which was never seen.

Reply #303932 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Lol - you can't be serious right? Oooooh Smithers, not the stats table.

Reply #303965 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'll get a team to do the scoretable for nothing. JVG, you have my number.

Reply #303968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lolz he might have your number but his pride wont let him accept feedback, he'll listen but he wont do any of it, still a really pigheaded guy sorry to say.
he still burns people, nothings changed, burnt a few recently too.
the company has been wrapped up as already stated so there wont be another event, it needs a team effort not a guy who never learns with a dictatorship attitude, even when he's wrong or out of his depth hes too proud and arrogant to reach out and accept the assistance for various areas that can do it.
its a concept that would work fabulously with people who have a team focus, open, sharing, not just hiring mates etc etc.

Reply #304006 | Report this post

wise anon  
Years ago

anon has nailed it, scary thing is JVG has weazled his way into "leading" the brisbane bid from what i have heard. a lot of people in ADL still waiting for money they were promised you can bet he got his pound out of the debacle though.
They don't call him Jeff Van Vegas for nothing.

Reply #304007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is very oversensitive in his reactions and feeling slighted by everybody but stragely in a converse sense, is highly insensitive of others.
i have it on good account that some on the bris bid have pulled out due to now burrowing his tentacles deep, to the point where hes overtaken it without the fabulous initial visionaries that have been slowly pushed out.
damon stevenson is another on the bandwagon but they are good friends so he may not get the flamthrower aimed at him !
that would be a first !

it must be heart breaking for those pushed out who were so proud to be involved in the clean up effort and are now sitting on the outside waiting for the bullets impending second folding in their city.
do not trust that man, many have thought they could make a difference with him and failed but its not their fault as he is who he is even by his own admittance.
lepards dont change their spots no matter how much you might want them to or hear them say they have.
he does what he knows best and that's to make sure hes the only one on the plane with a parachute.
take very little of what you hear from him as truth, hes the typical rubberfaced californian, even watching overtime makes me sick knowing the parallels between who he pretends to be and who he really is.

Reply #304010 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Strewth folks, tell us what you really think. I can only comment on what I've seen and I found him to be a well thought out, generous bloke with a keen business eye. No probs here.

Reply #304045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like rudd to me..

Reply #304053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 bris coaches over the weekend said he's a master of manipulation, 1 of them said it extends way past his "professional" life and into his personal life too.
he's got these unpleasant reputations for good reason so stay away unless you want the flame thrower aimed at you!!

Reply #304200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but it would be fantastic to see a well functioning group redo a tourney like this as its got a lot of potential if done by the right people in a team environment.

Reply #304202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HE CAN'T DO GIVE AND TAKE - AND DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO - THAT'S HIS BIGGEST PROBLEM!
WHEN +%#@ HITS THE FAN AS IT HAS FOR HIM A LOT BY HIS OWN DESIGN LATELY, HE BLAMES THOSE CLOSEST TO HIM AND TALKS DOWN AT THEM - HE'S ALWAYS THE BOSS IN HIS HEAD.
SO IT'S A GIVEN THAT PEOPLE EVENTUALLY TELL HIM WHERE TO GO IN THE END WHEN HE SHOWS THAT HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO WORK IN A FAIR PARTNERSHIP WITH PEOPLE AND DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THEM.
EVERYBODY IS DISPOSABLE IN VAN VEGAS LAND - IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING HE WANTS AND NEEDS HE'S YOUR BEST BUD BUT AS SOON AS THAT CHANGES, SO DOES HIS CONSCIENCE.
HE NEEDS COIN RIGHT NOW AND WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET IT - EVEN TORCHING PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL ASSOCIATIONS TO GET IT.. HE'S GOT NO SHAME WHATSOEVER.

Reply #304218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last three posts from the same IP. Let's hear it for CAPS LOCK!

Reply #304230 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He he he...actually having an internet discussion with oneself is slightly disturbing, especially when you need to yell to get your point across.

Reply #304236 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

VG will never redeem himself in BNE especially due to having screwed over so many people.
His name is still a swear word here and if what was posted is true about him being involved in leading a bid then consider that doomed - the public won't buy it after what came out about him over the years.
I too heard he still owes Adelaide big time - wouldn't surprise me at all.

The bets he can hope for is treading water with others elsewhere in the basketball community.
He won't do anything for anyone unless there's something in it for him at the time.
As soon as that stops, he's gone.

Channel Ten will also catch onto his liability ways sooner or later - if not for Gaze and Carfino being friends he wouldn't even be on TV but he tells people he is pretty much David White's adopted prodigal son.
It's not like he's arrogant and full of himself or anything! ;)

Reply #304376 | Report this post

JVG-NO  
Years ago

Anybody that has to make a career of screwing another to make money should consider a career change.
That's if you could even call JVG's swindling scams a career to beging with in the first place.
Word on the street is that he's trying to align himself with Eade to make some coin out of the flood relief game when he smack talks Eade behind his back.
I wouldn't go to a single Bullets game (or whatever they end up called) for as long as that snake has anything to do with it either.

Reply #304393 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i hope he tries to swindle $$ from it to pay his debts and winds up in jail,it might end up being the wake up call he needs that you cant screw over another to fix your own probs.

Reply #304404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps people in basketball circles need to buy themselves a copy of the no asshole rule...

Reply #304465 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754