Isaac
Years ago

Sabres teams both go to 4-0

Girls won 105-37. Monique Bowley had an impressive 17 points and 17 rebounds, while both other Bowleys scored in double figures and Jane Summerton had 16 points in the absence of sister Laura. Angela Marino had 12 points and 7 steals. The scoring for Centrals was quite even though none were in double figures. The best was Shaq Bayly who had 7 points and 9 rebounds.

In the men's game, Sturt held on for a 105-96 victory. Oscar Forman had 27 points and 19 rebounds. Darren Ng had 23 points and Paul Bauer scored 19. Todd Gower finished looking quite ridiculous with a bandaged head after an elbow from Justin Wilkey.

Leading the Lions was Jye Watson with 35 points and 5 assists. Paul Vanderburgh was in good form with 21 points and 15 rebounds. Justin Wilkey would not have had the homecoming he'd hoped for, fouling out with 8 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist.

Topic #2475 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

General commentary:

Courtside announcer needs to leave the Linkin Park CDs at home.

Reggie is a great player. Just seems to barely exert himself, and still had 3 steals, 15 boards and the 21 points (9 of 15). 47.5 HSA.

Wilkey seemed to be trying to do more to antagonise opponents than actually play the game. 11 HSA.

Watson didn't start fantastically, but shot very well in patches after that. My gut feeling is that he could be too short for the NBL (his aim) and he barely seems to jump when he takes shots, but you can't deny the accuracy and he was soundly pressured all night. 13 of 29. 40 HSA.

Oscar started well (10 points in the first quarter) and then scored here and there after that. 9 of 22 and 2 of 9 threes isn't as good as he'd hope, but he hit some great shots, including his first two threes. Possibly his first game without getting a foul! Saw more minutes than usual given the close game -- 50.5 HSA puts the game into the top 10.

Sturt got good mileage out of Ng, Potsie and Shep. Gower had a pretty average game until the crucial moments when the scores were close (the Lions hit the front by a point at one stage) where he picked up a few steals, including one at the half-court line that culminated in a two-handed dunk.

I'm not sure what's happened to Benson (3.5 HSA!), but he's not playing anywhere near the level of last year. Had a few more terrible turnovers and was 1 of 6; best stat was 3 assists. With Shepherd and Hakendorf currently coming off the bench, and James-Martin and Finkemeyer behind them, I'm not sure that he could retain his starting position without a better effort in future games.

Good showing of Centrals fans at the game and (of course) they made more noise than the home crowd.

Interested in hearing others' thoughts on the game...

Reply #27746 | Report this post

Good comments Issac just a couple of observations from the game. Referees Neil Bridgeman and Bruce Northcote called 47 fouls in the game, 30 of them against Centrals. Early in the last quarter the Lions took the lead but the referees did not call a foul against Sturt until there was 2.37 minutes left on the clock 6 foul had been called against Centrals at this point. This sent Sturt to the line for 17 shots in that quarter making 13 of them. The Lions did not go to the free throw line at all in the quarter because only 2 fouls were called against Sturt. That's the game right there. The foul count in the last quarter was 10 to 2, the Lions did foul in the last 2 minutes to stop the clock but that only accounted for 3 of the fouls.. Home Court Advantage or 36ers Advantage. Or was it Rick Castle's long talk to the referee's at half time?????

Centrals made a couple of runs at Sturt from 11 or 12 down and did eventually take the lead this will be encouraging to Ricky and his coaching staff, the Lions are improving with each game this is only the 4th game they have played together.

Reply #27752 | Report this post

A LIL bias  
Years ago

Wow dont you think that the game commentry that you just gave sounds a lil bias. Reggie had to play a lot of mintues and to exert yourself in a solar heated stadium like that is a little tough, he has to carry a lot of the teams weight on his shoulders, and still bang bodies down low. Watson is a natural 2 that is playing some point he is 6'3/'4 so I dont think height is a problem and your right as he was pressured all night long so I would say you would have to jump a little to get most shots off,especially the ones he hit off the dribble. by the way how tall is Ng? It's tough for a guy like Wilkey to play against a team he played for last season and your right that he was banging bodies but Gower did seem from where I was sitting to be going after Wilkey, along with 2 or 3 other guys I dont know there names. Oscar played a solid game all night but that's what you would expect he is taller than everyone on the court and has NBL experience, my hat goes off to him. Sturt's other players played their roles well, but from the comments you made it sounded a little one sided and i know Oscar is your brother but I just feel if your going to comment on a game like that give everyone that played well their respect form both teams.

Reply #27753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gees guys i don't have a vested interest in either sturt nor centrals

but all isaac did was give 'his' opinion of the game. a summary of the game which i am grateful for as i didn't see the game this forum is great to hear about differing games and differing points of view.

if anything i felt the second two posts could be labelled bias

yes oscar is isaac's brother a point he does not hide

Reply #27754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Foul Count Observer -- I didn't notice any really obvious bad calls or non-calls and I thought that both referees were actually quite good all night. There was one time Oscar got hacked, it wasn't called, and then he got fouled by two defenders on the other side of the basket and it was called. I noticed that there was one shot of Watson's from outside where he tried to kick into Bauer to get the foul and it wasn't called, but the contact was barely there and very forced, so I don't blame them for not calling it. Do you have any specific examples you were unhappy with? Remember that Gower was on the bench for a fair bit of the fourth after being whacked by Wilkey (blood, but no foul if I recall correctly), so that would've reduced the Sabre foul count. ;)

I'd expect that players like Oscar and Darren would foul less when up against Hammond (Oscar's man all night, didn't score at all in 29 minutes, and only took one shot from inside the three point line in that time) and Wilkey. Lions fouled more than 3 times to slow the game and were doing it before the final two minutes. Tom James-Martin went to the line 9 times in the last quarter alone (fouled five times), and Oscar said that he was inbounding to Tom because he knew he'd be a good chance at converting those.

What was the foul count in the third, BTW?

A LIL bias -- my goodness, did you even read what I wrote!?

Reggie is a great player. Just seems to barely exert himself

How is that not respect? I said that he had 21 and 15 and still looked thoroughly smooth while doing it! (read it as "Just seems to do it so easily" rather than "Just seems to barely try"). Ask the friend with me at the game how many times I said "Sixers should've picked him up years ago."

I'm pretty sure I also mentioned Jye ("shot very well"). Just because I wouldn't personally sign him into the NBL straight away (not that anyone listens to me -- just saying that we're talking about personal opinion here), doesn't mean I'm biased. It means that I know that the coaches consider attitude an important part of selection, and that Jye would be in line behind Ng and Gerlach as two guards also playing quite well and certainly known to the coaches (Ng has scored 17 in the NBL before, and you know that at least Ninnis is a fan of Gerlach -- Academy MVP, etc). Jye scored 35 and it wasn't as though he was free of defense (Bauer had 4 fouls for example). Please don't tell me I'm going to have to have Lions fans going after me like they went after Libertine because I didn't gush that I wanted to have Jye's children. Libertine, BTW, previously made a great point in comparing Jye to Pochintesta -- came over to try and get the attention of the Sixers, had some big games, etc. I think that was a very good point. Pochintesta was a strong player and could've been an outside chance at taking it further somewhere in the league.

Why would it be tough for Wilkey? He saw him chatting and smiling with Hakendorf and Oscar. The rest only give what they get. He just didn't get into the game. I take back what I said and replace it with "had little impact". Happier?

(BTW, Gower goes after whoever has the ball. He certainly didn't put that blood on the back of his head himself.)

As for the bias, Oscar had 27 and 19 and I still found the negatives. I said that I thought Benson had another bad game. Surely I wasn't that biased!?

Reply #27755 | Report this post

Issac, I didn't say the referee's did a bad job i am simply pointing out some observation of the game. If the foul count was more even in the last quarter the result could of been different thats all i'm saying. Be cool i'm not having a go.

Reply #27758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the foul count wasn't even because one team fouled more then the other. There is no reason at all why foul counts should be even. You're talking about two different teams who would play two different styles of basketball.

Anyone who expects the foul count to be even is just being naive. Obviously it happens but just because it didn't last night doesn't mean you have a right to have a go at the refs. Which I think was Isaac's point.

Name some specific examples if you're going to name referees and criticise them.

Reply #27760 | Report this post

Again I repeat I am not criticising the refs. overall they did a good job I am simply making observations of the game. The whatif's. Dont be so touchy.

Reply #27762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul count at half time was 10 all, after Rick Castle spends most of half time talking to the refs. the foul count in the second half was 20 to 7 Sturts way. Fact.

Reply #27763 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

"Reggie is a great player. Just seems to barely exert himself"

Alot of the academics of sport performance would say that this is the best indication of an expert performer. IE someone that appears to play in slow motion, is highly efficient and effective without appearing to excert themselves.

This is debatable but is definately true in Vandenburgh's case.

They used to say Longley was lazy but he must have been Ok to play in a few NBA titles. Michael Jordan often appears to operate in slow motion because he is so fluid.

Reply #27768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's be real putting Watson behind Gerlach is a little harsh after seeing him play one game, isn't it Isaac? Wouldn't you rather give the kid a chance to show what he can do against NBL talent before making assumptions that he is Pocohontas, I think we should give him his shot just like Darren had his, If no one knew that Darren played NBL who would look at his game's and say oh let's sign him? he was given a chance. Personally, and I'm not having a go at isaac for voicing his thoughts I think we should support young talent like Watson so we can promote basketball in the state, we need all the help we can get

Reply #27772 | Report this post

old_balls  
Years ago

Isaac, you have done a great job with this site, and the addition of the Stats database is excellent.

I see nothing wrong with your summary of the game, you seemed to give credit to both teams, and Oscar rightly deserved it, because he was the difference in the game.

The umpiring appeared fairly consistent, and the uneven foul count probably had more to do with the Lions perimeter based offence, whereas Sturt seemed more intent on using their bigs inside.

As for Reggie, he is a rare gifted athlete, who works as hard as anyone, and has the ultimate team attitude.

Reply #27775 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

How the mens sturt team could not be 4 - 0 with Ng Gower and Forman. If they lose a game this season they will need some explaining. All three of them can play serious basketball in ABA, but when the pressure rises to NBL standard you dont really see this sorta form. Although i must admit they are all slowly adapting to it

Reply #27776 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Foul count at half time was 10 all, after Rick Castle spends most of half time talking to the refs. the foul count in the second half was 20 to 7 Sturts way. Fact."

Oscar, Darren, Potsie and Gower have NBL experience (even if limited). Hammond (5 fouls), Wilkey (6 fouls), Clayton (5 fouls) and Elliot (3 fouls in 6 minutes) don't have NBL experience. Fact. I'm not really that surprised that less-experienced players picked up more fouls defending their opponents. That happens. If you have an issue with any calls that we could discuss, please be more specific. You are more or less alleging that the refs were biased. Bruce was posting on this site last week, so maybe you'd like to ask him what Rick said.

Anonymous, in response to "Let's be real putting Watson behind Gerlach is a little harsh after seeing him play one game, isn't it Isaac?"

Watson is behind Gerlach, regardless of what I think. Gerlach got NBL court-time and was in the development roster. Watson wasn't then and isn't now. He's behind him. Whether that changes remains to be seen and is up to the coaches. All I'm suggesting is that the coaches have seen what Ng and Gerlach can do and they're not going to dump them without extenuating circumstances just to give an alternative a shot.

Have a look at Newley's two games so far in the CABL (average HSA is 18.5 compared to Jye's 40.8!). Pretty average, yet look at him in the NBL -- 35 points in the All*Star game and scouted by the LA Clippers which is more than could be said for anyone else in the CABL. Going by the season so far, I swear some of you would be picking Jye over Brad!

Jye played very well. He even shot better in the crucial moments of the game. If Ng, Gerlach and Hill didn't exist, you'd rate his chances with the Sixers, but I think he's got significant competition and I wouldn't be betting on him more for that reason than his stats to date. Remember that in 2004/05, the Sixers already had Maher, Rychart and Farley pouring the points, plus Holmes. They wouldn't necessarily be looking for an out and out scorer, but pick guys like Nash and Rees who have experience and defensive presence. I've heard names of players that the Sixers are considering for 05/06 and they're not necessarily big scorers (that's all I'll say).

Reply #27815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jye Watson is natural scorer he has destroyed gerlach in there meeting at the plex and scored 35 agaisnt ng he can shoot he can get to the basket and he can pass and play defense...If the sixers dont sign him anthor nbl team will ... then will be discussing the one that got away ... Jye has serious game in my opinion he is as good as hill ng or gerlach i actullay think he is alot better then gower and gerlach..your saying the sixers arnt looking for anthor scorer ... What team isnt looking for a natural scorer that can play defense as well
the sixers need to move fast to pick up jye ..

Reply #27871 | Report this post

Hang on a sec. Who said Jye can play defence. The only defence centrals played on saturday was zone. Therefore lets not make the assumption he can play D. Especially when he was being beat off the dribble a fair bit in the saturday game. Having said that, the guy can flat out score. His dribble step back threes were insane.

HOT RUMOR - He is on the wanted list (Development player list) for next season with the sixers. Good to hear.

Reply #27883 | Report this post

dee it up  
Years ago

Personally I have seen 2 games of Jye's he was at the top of a full court press for the full game against Norwood and Southern and created many turnovers, he can play D. I think if he was beaten off the dribble at all it would be because it is hard to play 45 mins, score, play D, get double teamed bring the ball up the court and all in the hotest most exhuasting court in the league let's see how he goes further on in the season

Reply #27889 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

On Saturday night I had the pleasure of sitting in a plastic seat that turned into a swimming pool after 5 minutes of sweating. I was located directly in line with Isaac and I didn't see the refereeing to be biassed one way or the other.
I believe it was poorly refereed.
The game was exciting to watch anyhow. Especially Gowers' new headdress.

Reply #27905 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

I will not respond to posts about lopsided fould counts - other than to say that if anyone has access to a tape of the game, just look at the types of offensive sets that each team executed in the last quarter (with reference to 27775 from odd_balls).

We talked to both coaches at half time ***together*** - Ricky heard practically every word that we said to Rick, and vice versa.

Reply #27928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Northcote if there was nothing wrong with the way the game was umpired why do you need to defend yourself? It would be very interesting to see the tape.
Should ref's talk to coaches at half time for such a long time, should players be allowed to talk to ref's continually throughout the game?

Reply #27947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Bruce should just let the uniformed name him and then critise him. If it was a coach or player spoken about in the same way and that coach or player came on and defended themselves everyone would support their stance.

Referees are expected to not only be perfect but allow people to publicly critise them even when it isn't based on any real facts.

Who'd want to be a ref??

Reply #27948 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Gee suprise, suprise, Wilkey takes out someone else. It's starting to not look very accidental to me...

Reply #27949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous #27947 - that first question gets Most Ridiculous Question of the Week.

The guy's name was raised and things were implied about the calls. He provided a very succinct and fair explanation.

Centrals had two guys score more than 10 points. They got 0 points in 25+ minutes from a starting big man. They lost the rebound count. One of their three main players had 8 points and little other impact. How about looking at a few of the other reasons that the Lions lost the game. 10+ points out of Hammond, as one example, and the result could well have been different.

Reply #27951 | Report this post

Bobby Cunningham  
Years ago

one question isaac, if oscar started well then scored here and there, is that in patches? let me tell you this, every ball player scores in patches but i interpreted the way you said it about jye scoring in patches as a negative thing? hope im wrong. because it seems to me that you are trying to protect ng gerlach hill or any other player that jye might be a threat to. bottom line my dog can go!!! just let the season finish and see how he ends up!!!

PS: I still love this site!!!

Reply #28003 | Report this post

rabbittinahat  
Years ago

isn't coaches and referee's talking all about communication

it really seems around here that the lions spectators 'think' they have a team this year and are very very touchy to any comment that THEY even closely perceive to be a negative

centrals spectators get over yourself!

Reply #28007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bobby, by "here and there" with Oscar, I meant that sometimes I forgot he was on court. Whether that was from the defense lessening his impact, I don't know. The same happened to Jye once or twice -- obviously this is just my opinion of the game and I'm far from an expert.

Jye was patchy in that he had a slow start (I was thinking he'd go 6 of 30 for the game at that point because he was missing), then a burst, then nothing, then pick it up again to knock down 4 shots in a row. I remember someone like Holmes (who was the scoring standout last year) as just being much more even (hit one, miss one, hit one, miss one -- and you'd never forget he was out there).

Jye played very well and I've not said otherwise.

As for the rest of your comment, I have no idea how I could be protecting Ng, Gerlach and Hill! (I've never even talked to two of them!) I don't choose the teams and those who do don't care about my opinion (I'm just talking crap on a forum and sharing ideas with others).

All I've suggested is that there is a little inertia within the roster -- Williams was picked for the last couple of years despite the majority thinking that he should've been dumped -- the coaches stuck with a known commodity. At the same time, Pochintesta scored 40 and Brenton Campbell was playing well too, so they had options.

If the club retains Maher and Farley, they have Hill and a roster might be:

Maher?/Hill
Farley?/?
Holmes?/Forman
Rychart/Nash?
Cooper/Rees? (my guess)

Have Ninnis and Breheny really seen much of Jye yet?

It's possible for him to be an awesome player and still not make the ten. Some people seem to think that because I wouldn't bet on him making the rotation, that I don't think he's a good player. That's wrong and I thought he played very well -- one of the best on the court in that game.

I seriously wouldn't get too caught up in my opinion alone -- I've seen him play once!

Reply #28018 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Bobby,

No doubt he can go, I thought he was better when he didn't come down and jack a shot off one pass (or no passes now that he is playing point).
The question is whether or not Jye would be happy earning minimum wage ($20k??) on a one year contract to train with the Sixers.

A lot of people have rolled on Gower about him being in the Sixers, but, maybe he is one of the few players who are willing to accept that "deal". Shitty money for little or no court time, no gauranteed contract the next year, and treated like a pawn (so to speak).

I want to know when Phil or Steve are actually going to get out to an ABL game to see what these players are capable of. Jye scored 35 against Gerlach and the Tigers, Hardiman looks like he can go a bit, but Phil and Steve are no shows. These guys are supposed to be bringing up the young talent, yet the coach is too busy being "seen" at Adelaides hot spots, or is scouting now the sole responsibility of Ninnis and the academy? Does Phil use Ninnis as his scout on younger guys, and if so, should we be head hunting Ninnis instead of Phil? How many games has Ninnis viewed this year?

Lots of questions I know, but I think they need to be answered once and for all, so that we know who to point the finger at, otherwise we may well end up with another Newley situation sometime in the future.

Reply #28023 | Report this post

Bobby Cunningham  
Years ago

Isaac, as i said i hope i was wrong and it seems i was so i apologize. Jye is just a kid who had to move on from here and the politics that came with being here. so Ricky said that he will have jye in his team and have been looking after him since his move to adelaide which i might add jye is enjoying. I guess i am just a big brother concerned about his little brother's future and when you read different comments that seems abit negative, we tend to sometimes go into protect mode. But as you said this is a forum where we all tend to crap on. so once again my apologies.

Reply #28068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754