i carumba
Years ago

AIS v Flames (spoiler)

hope you are sitting down for this....

AIS 61 - Sydney 55

Topic #24757 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone money on lightning picking up the wooden spoon and plenty of splinters..............

Reply #304104 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Sad to say it.....
Mark down 12 Feb 2011 Wayville....
The battle for the wooden spoon

Reply #304108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames lost the the tute hahahha

That should not be acceptable, heads should roll ie. head coach

Reply #304172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dalton should have been sacked 2 seasons back. Just look at the turn over of players in the past 3 - 4 seasons.

The only reason she is still there is because Sydney University have no idea about Basketball full stop. They are just happy to be associated by name (Sydney Uni. Flames). The only problem is that their name is mud in women's basketball now because of Dalton.

She has wasted money with imports that are not any good, or just wouldn't stay because of her. She talks about building teams and giving young players a chance but she is totally unable to develope anyone or anything because she is not capable. Her biggest problem is that she wants her team to play like she played back in the 70' and 80'. Unfortunately, basketball has moved on but Karen hasn't.

The WNBL or Basketball Australia should step in or they will find that the largest city in this Country will not even have a Basketball team (Men's or Women's) playing in the very near future.

Reply #304247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think their name is mud when it comes to womens basketball. The Flames have made the finals several times since Karen has been in charge, yes they have had some dodge imports but what club hasn't? Tracy Gahan is probably the only solid import in the league I am not counting DaMaya Walker as she seems high maintence after watching her play this Friday night.

The problem is the Flames don't have the biggest budget when it comes to enticing imports, losing Batkovic to Canberra was a huge loss for the program and I'm sure Suzy got offered big bucks to play at Canberra something that the Flames can't compete with.

The Flames are doing a great job at developing young players its just you don't see what is being done. They offer several programs for younger players to be trained by Flames staff I think they are one of the most proactive WNBL clubs when it comes to getting out and interacting with local junior based womens basketballers. And if you think about it this is a smart decision not having the budget to afford high class imports the Flames have gone out and decided to develop what they have in the junior ranks so by the time these kids are older they have been 'moulded' for WNBL.

They lost to the AIS, yes this is demoralising but these things happen it doesn't mean that basketball is dead in Sydney, sheesh.

Reply #304261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what great programs exactly are the Flames running. NSWIS no longer even want their girls to be part of the Flames training. Who exactly has Karen developed. Yes, they run junior camps but that's for revenue not deveopment. However, I'm sure it's a good advertisement.

Karen is only interested in getting named players and more often than not they only get players that are past their best. I don't see any AIS graduates (not even NSW girls) rushing to be part of the Flames outfit. Don't forget that this is the largest populated state in the Country, so where exactly do they sit with regard to Nationals success over say the last 10 years. They do have a large interest in the game at Junior level with good numbers playing the sport, so why does this not translate to successful teams at the National level and then to the highest level being WNBL. I am certainly not saying that this is Karen Daltons fault, she is not responsible for basketball in NSW.

There are presently players that have left the Flames that are playing is other WNBL teams that are doing very well when they couldn't even get on the court at the Flames. That is not development of players. These players felt that they had to leave to be given a chance.

All I'm saying is that when you are a coach (of any sporting team) success is what puts you ahead of the rest and success is what you are judged by, so Dalton should be replaced.

Reply #304274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you rather play for the lightning or Sydney? Don't see too many wanting to play in what's becoming the backwater sports state of South Australia, do you?

Reply #304289 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

I think they said Dalton had been reappointed for a further two years recently. An interesting decision to say the least.

Reply #304292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should I start a lost of players who have left because of the coach?

Has even driven players away from the game of basketball, not a good coach, not a good person!

Reply #304318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Karen has been reappointed because as previously mentioned those appointing her have no idea Re: basketball, they just want the association too it.

We could start a list of players that have come and gone and as someone pointed out, lost to the game altogether. Luckily some just moved WNBL sides and went on to play for the Opals. However, a list like that would be too demoralising.

When you are a coach you do not have to be the best coach in the world, you just have to be fair, fair to all players (Champions of the game and the new, should all have the same rules to abide by), give everyone an equal chance, be approachable and open and tell the truth. Sometimes it is the hard things you have to do and if done well, they make all the difference. Tell players what is going on and where they are at and offer to help. Players will respect the coaches decisions even if they don't actually agree with everything.

Players will play for the coach and team instead of in spite of the coach and team. Karen Dalton has unfortunately lost the respect of players not just as a coach but as a person. She can not and will not do the hard things.

Reply #304401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754