skip
Years ago

Hypothetical - NBL All Star teams.

Was just discussing with a few how hard it would have been to pick the 'Import' team had they had an NBL All Star game this season.

Only 9 imports have played the full season (including Gruber who missed a lot thru injury)

If it was this weekend, what would your line ups be?

IMPORTS
STARTERS
C: Wilkinson
F: Clark
F: Sanders
G: Lisch
G: Ervin

BENCH
Williams
Ubaka
Dorsey
Devendorf
Ellis (over Braswell only because you would need another big)

LOCALS
C: Khazzouh
F: Redhange
F: Worthington
G: Penney
G: D Martin

BENCH
Nevill
Forman
Ballinger
Gibson
Abercrombie

Locally we seem to have a lot more quality bigs than guards. Unlucky to miss out would be Crosswhite, Davidson, Schenscher.

Topic #24779 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously Abercrombie!! I understand he's entertaining and theres alot of hype surrounding him but he's averaging 9 & 6...not exactly all-star type numbers

I'd take Saville (though he's been injured) , weigh, CJ before Abercrombie.

Now don't start hating. Im NOT saying he is a bad player. But if an all-star game did actually happen as of now he wouldn't be in it IMO...If you had asked me before Penney returned then a definite yes

Reply #304414 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Last time I checked, Penney and Ambercrombie would be classed as Imports. Last 2 all star games I saw had Penney on the Import side and not the local (AU) side.

However if you were to do a "Local Talent - inc NZ" vs "Imports", you're pretty much on the money.

I'd go (couple of minor tweeks):

**IMPORTS**

C: Wilkinson
PF: Clark
SF: Sanders
SG: Ubaka
PG: Ervin

Lisch, Devendorf, Shannon, Williams, Dorsey

**LOCALS**

C: Khazzouh
PF: Worthington
SF: Redhage
SG: Penney
PG: Martin

Nevill, Ballinger, Ambercrombie, Gibson, Forman

Reply #304415 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Kevin Lisch over Corey Williams?? serious?

Reply #304416 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Haha, I knew someone would pick that up.

My thoughts were, All Star games mean next to no defence and hopefully plenty of highlights, hence my inclusion of Abercrombie. Usually there is a rookie who is fed the ball to give them All Star MVP honours.. (Newley, Ingles, Jawai) so perhaps scrub Abercrombie and throw in Creek :-)

As I said, if the game was this weekend.. So Sav is out. CJ's form has been rather average all season too. Weigh or Coenraad could also be considered.

Reply #304417 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I was going to post my local team, then I looked at skip's. Same team. Nevermind then.

Anon, Abercrombie's been far better than CJ and I'd take him over Weigh too. Tovey would have to be a chance though.

Reply #304425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok is the most exciting player in the league & is leading the nbl in averaged blocked shots in 18 minutes off the bench.

he is a must for any all star game in this country - i dont care if hes only here for 6 weeks.

Reply #304468 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Shit let's put Andre Brown in then.

Reply #304476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put brown in too.
they are the guys people would want to see in an al star.
if it was fan voting like in the NBA, majok would be a starter.

Reply #304478 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anon, if Abercrombie played for any other team in the NBL his offensive numbers would be well up on what they currently are. Currently most of the Breakers plays are run for Penney, Wilkinson and Bruton. Last few games he's been rebounding like a monster and his defense is solid and as Skip said, Allstar games are about highlights and Abercrombie certainly provides plenty of those.

Reply #304491 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

Offtopic, but how good was the allstar game in Adelaide maybe 2006? Newley and Carlos Powell dominated

Reply #304505 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

there has been a GOOD all star game crowfan? Ever? Everyone I have seen has been a snoozefest - absolute rubbish.

Reply #304510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't the Adelaide game the one with Rono jacking up threes? Razzle dazzle!

Reply #304512 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The all star game in Adelaide when Woodberry hit the layup on the buzzer was a great game from memory. Rose was still playing for Adelaide then and had a big game as well IIRC.

Reply #304516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754