Glenn S
Years ago

U18 div 1 Central Girls pulled out of competition

The centrals Under 18 div 1 team did not remove team from the competition. Yes we forfeited against southern as we are reevaluating our program at the under 18 level. We have 11 players on 2 teams so clearly someting needs to be done to avoid forfeits where other teams drive to starplex to play a div 2 side that can only field 4 players.

you will find that we have not pulled any team from any competition and the statement made by matty was premature if not incorrect.

there is a special meeting sunday to make some decisions about the program but the decision will be based on numbers not players thinking they are too good to play.

Topic #2480 | Report this topic

queer eye  
Years ago

thanks for clarifying everything glenn

it is a pity you could not recruit 2-3 more girls to keep the 2 teams

woodville have a similar steup with about 11 u18s - so they went with just 1 div 2 team

I agree - it is a public relations disaster to have people driving to starplex for a forfeit

It is a pity you could not amalgamate your girls with mavericks div 2/3 girls - they only had 4 at pasadena friday night

otherwise we just end up with some girls who want to play missing out - maybe you could for some amalgamated team and play only at central stadiums - at least the girls will get a game

give mavericks a call and work on it - or we might end up with no centrals or mavericks - even if it is just for 1 season

Reply #27766 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

The Centrals are not alone in the too many for one team, too few for two.

Commitment is the biggest issue especially for those div 2/3 players who know that they won't play Seniors and play for the enjoyment. They have jobs on the weekend and are doing year 12. Both of these put serious limitations on their time and training abilities.

Recruiting kids who don't want to give their full committment isn't the answer and has been proven many times. The best answer in this scenario is to have one team and rotate. I am sure that these kids who are playing or training nearly every day will not mind the odd Friday night off to have a life.

Just my thoughts.

Reply #27803 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

This is just typical.

Clubs continually go on about how their deserve the right to play div 1. Then turn around and don't even field teams. This then further create's problems for the other clubs who have div 1 teams due to the competition being messed around. The other teams who have made the commitment to enter will now be forced to play catch up games on a sunday's or midweek's to finalise the rounds, while some team will have driven out to Starplex for games that do not count. A waste of time a money.

For the last 30 years we have been told that Centrals is an untaped resource. That they have the numbers of kids out there to be a power. But for the last 30 years they have done nothing other than buy senior teams. Perhaps if they spent as much money on their junior program as they have on their senior mens team they might be able to fill teams in each grade.

The answer is simple. Take them out of the div 1/2 comp all together. And make them play div 3 and below. Adn no this wont effect their senior teams because they don't play their own players. They recruit anyway.

Reply #27924 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

Phadreus you need to read what Glenn said again I think. They have not aactually pulled any teams out that notified there opposition the game was a forfiet so there won't be a catch up game as it was a straight forward thing.
I think Centrals need credit for stopping and trying to address the problem.

Reply #27960 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

phadreus as much as you are ill informed about teams being pulled out and about not being alowed to field div 1/2 teams get a clue.
The only thing your right on is the fact it is untaped area but only by centalsand this doesnt help with the current bpo(jdo)handing back the responsabilty of recruiting to the junior commitee because he has limited hours to work in thru the week.

Reply #28026 | Report this post

Whose on drugs?  
Years ago

"But for the last 30 years they have done nothing other than buy senior teams. Perhaps if they spent as much money on their junior program as they have on their senior mens team they might be able to fill teams in each grade. "

Phadreus that is not a very smart statement. Unlike the sturts, Norwoods, Wests etc. of this world just about everyone at Centrals has not been there for 30 years. Just about the only link CEntrals has with its past is its name. It makes no sense to blame the people currently there working to turn the club around for what has been may have been said or not done for the past 30 years. Because of StarPlex, perhaps the Lions men having some success will attract more kids from the school and local area to get into basketball. Have you been out to an abl game lately at starplex? The whole community is getting behind Ricky and the boys.

Reply #28049 | Report this post

Glenn S  
Years ago

hey just me, would you please give me a call I have a few questions for you my mobile # is 0417 888 412 or call me at work 8522 0650
Glenn

Reply #28104 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

So Glenn,

What is the result of the meeting. Will Centrals be pulling a team out of the competition or not?

Reply #28111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754