beaniebear
Years ago

ESPN Doco - The Association: Boston Celtics

Anyone else seen The Association: Boston Celtics? Or any of the 30 for 30 doco's?
The Association is a great look into the 2010-2011 Celts and the 30 for 30 on Reggie Miller sent tingles up and down my spine, just reliving some of the games he played against the Knicks.
If ONE could add this sort of stuff about Australian sports stars, that would take them another level.

Topic #24815 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I watched the Reggie Vs the Knicks one a while back.
It brought back memories for me too including a lot of heart-break.

Reply #305446 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Once Brothers is an awesome doco from the 30 for 30 series highly recommend you watch it. It is a story about Vlade Divac and the Yugoslavian national team and his friendship with Dragen Petrovic (sorry about the spelling) and how the war destroyed it.

Reply #305447 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

The whole 30 For 30 series is actually a great look into some of the bigger moments in sports.

In terms of basketball related episodes you have:

Without Bias - Takes a look at the death of Len Bias, who died just 2 days after being drafted #2 overall by the Boston Celtics in 1986.

Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs the New York Knicks - Looks at Reggie Miller's battle with the Knicks in the 90's (1995 I think), and his interaction with fans, opposing players as well as Knicks fan Spike Lee.

Guru of Go - Focuses on the coaching tenure of Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount University between 1985-1990. Interesting look at the up-tempo "Run-and-Gun" offense implemented by Westhead.

No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson - Provides a look at the 1993 trial of then High School athlete Allen Iverson, convicted for his role in a racially charged melee and its impact on both the community and Iverson himself.

Jordan Rides The Bus - Takes a look at the breif Minor League Baseball career of Michael Jordan. An interesting episode which shows the types of things which Jordan was dealing with away from the game of basketball, as well as how close he came to playing Major League Baseball.

Once Brothers - The story of Dražen Petrovi? (Croatian) and Vlade Divac (Serbian), teammates on the Yugoslavian national team, and the war in their homeland affected and destroyed their friendship.

I downloaded the whole series as they came out, and after watching all of them I would definitely recommend any of the basketball documentaries for all fans.

Reply #305470 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Thanks for that Clarky I didn't know about Without Bias or Guru of Go, I will get them tonight

Reply #305479 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I missed the Reggie one, but have most of them on iq at home, or dvd.

The Iverson one was great viewing, as was the Jordan one. Also really liked the OJ Simpson special.

Not hoops, but I watched the Nascar one the other night about Tim Richmond and it was great! Never realized that Days of Thunder was based on this guy.

Great series, going to watch Marion Jones tonight.

Reply #305485 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

Co-Sign 30 for 30 is epic! haven't seen them all yet.
But really enjoyed the Gretzky, Matt Hoffman and OJ doco's, really learned a lot

Reply #305534 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yep love them. Run ricky run is a great one as well as the pony express which shows all the cheating that went on in the NCAA football programs specifically in Texas. Without Bias is good as well but sad to watch, same for guru of go.

Reply #305548 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Without Bias was amazing. I knew of the story but had no idea how many people his death affected, not just basketballers, but the African American community in general.

Reply #305558 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Also saw the Bias one. Was amazed at the outpour of emotion, not to mention how great he possibly could've been. The story was told really well.
I still reckon One could do something like for this Australian sports stars, i.e Rod Laver, Chappell brothers, Thorpe, Freeman, Cuthburt (?) etc. Any others?

Reply #305567 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anyone know where to get em online? Would be worth a look for us non-Foxtellers.

Reply #305602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

download the torrents from www.torrentz.com

Reply #305608 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I have them all. "Once Brothers" and "The Two Escobars" are both amazing.

Reply #305690 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754