Anonymous
Years ago

Getting into the AIS

How does one get into the AIS? Do they get invited? Do you apply? Are there any phsyical pre-requisites? As in reaching a certain level on the beep test, having a certain amount of strength, etc.

Say everyone was already chosen for the AIS, they had no more openings; would they let a player with outstanding skill in?

Not a basketball player myself haha :P Just curious to find out how this works. :) Cheers.

Topic #24816 | Report this topic

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Generally if you would be good enough for the AIS chances are they already know about you.

Playing in a national championship for your state, doing ITC NSWIS or so on also is key.

You can send in an application but usually this isn't that much of a help.

Also they have a big camp involving around 50 of the best juniors Aus wide. The All Australian Camp for Juniors, usually end of the year around sept. Dominate that, and you're in.

Reply #305441 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Oh and Generally they only have only 12 Full Scholarships a year.

Reply #305442 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Whining.)

Reply #305445 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

AIS is overrated anyway

Reply #305498 | Report this post

HoHum  
Years ago

Yea just ask Bogut , Mills, Anderson, Maric/Ingles/Newley/Nielsen all dudes that went to there and went onto earn multi million dollar contracts.

Ur one of these dudes that say dont play basketball, dont go to the AIS go play football where the money is LOL!

Reply #305504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is are they on multi million dollar contracts (only Bogut perhaps in fact) because they went to AIS ?

Reply #305620 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bogut would have made it anyway

Reply #305648 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Look at every single one of those names you stated, they were either at least 5-6 years ago/ there for only 1 year. What does that say about the AIS?

Reply #305651 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

16 spots at AIS.

Best place for a young international prospect to go!

Changes ahead for the program under Stacker. Will become a better option for top talent than going to College.

Reply #305664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they actually all spent a minimum of 18 months or more, most 2 years

Gibson
Jawai
Ogilvy
Weigh

Do you want more?

Half the St Marys team.

Reply #305677 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

AIS better then going to college? i don't think so. AIS is massively overrated, all those people from the AIS, are they doing anything at college in their FIRST year? Or is the colleges improvement? Patty Mills, Bogut? Or got the bulk of their improvement from their respective colleges. The amount of players who actually came out of the AIS and done anything immediately as been absolutely tiny.

Reply #305680 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Weigh is HOT!

Reply #305682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers for the info guys! Also, what is ITC NSWIS?

Reply #305685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigD,

one eg. Dellavadova immediately started and starred for St Marys.
You have no idea.

Reply #305686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And their performances at Albert Schweitzer, and Junior Worlds have been pretty good too.

ie Creek MVP of Schweitzer which they won against other Junior National Teams like Serbia, Spain, China and Argentina. Not bad teams internationally.

Reply #305687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Newley and Inglis did fairly well first year out of AIS, just like Creek.

Reply #305689 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

If they do so well and it's better then college, where's the results in the international games? Where are they going into the NBA? Where is the massive success into Europe? the NBL standard is no where near of that of Europe's top leagues, so don't say they performed good straight away in the NBL, it's not a very good standard.

Reply #305695 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Big D.

As I said,

"Changes ahead for the program under Stacker. Will become a better option for top talent than going to College"

Read - Changes ahead...

Read - Will become better option...

Read - Top talent...

AIS is there to produce international players, not college players. This will become more evident over the next few years.

Reply #305697 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Then Stacker better do a better job of developing talent then what Clarke did. Because there hasn't even been any AIS players coming out and having all that much success in Europe unless they went onto College first. Which is where they got the bulk of their improvement.

Reply #305699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigD,

How many 19 year olds (usual AIS graduation rate) carving up in Europe as import players from anywhere?

Comparing apples with oranges.

Of course players are going to continue to improve.

But when they leave the AIS they dont seem to keep pace with the players they are better than.

Reply #305700 | Report this post

OP  
Years ago

Haha I think I went un-noticed, what is ITC NSWIS?? :)

Reply #305705 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

College can be overated too. I've seen plenty of guys play college and come back with little or no improvement.

Reply #305707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSWIS = new sth wales institute of sport
ITC = identified talent program run in most states

Reply #305709 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Id say there are many kids that go to college who do not improve much at all and would have been better off in a SEABL or NBL program aged 18-23.

College teams are not about development, they need to win, if not coach gets sacked!

Reply #305723 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Damn, things have changed.

About 12 years ago, high schools could submit applications to AIS by running students through AIS standard fitness exams. They just submitted the forms with the results and the students "desired sports of choice".

Had one kid at School trying to get an AIS Basketball Scholarship and ended up getting a Scholarship for Track n' Field.

Reply #305737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigMarty, I think you will find even 12 yrs ago no basketballers got AIS scholarships through fitness testings in schools. This was carried out mostly prior to the 2000 olympics to identify candidates for non major sports.

I'm not refuting your story at all but eventhough the kid was trying to get a basketball scholarship, he would have never been offered one if he wasnt competing at disitrct level and going to national championships. Kids dont get scholarships to the AIS through school pathways in basketball and never have done so.

Reply #305750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First reply held the answer.

If you had a chance at getting a scholarship they would already be watching you and you would probably be at the camp currently being held.

Reply #305792 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Australian junior teams have generally been a great "team" and not a bunch of individuals. It is disturbing that Oz hasn't produced a Ginobili type player especially after the success of the 1997 under-22 team at the worlds in Melbourne. What is happening with Australia's elite shooting guards..alot of good ones came through but few were able to be a constant, solid player in Europe or NBA.
Could it be a lack of height for our SG's? Or could it be that in Europe players are able to develop more because their athleticism and body types suit that brand of basketball? I think players at the AIS go to college and play the US brand of ball and their potential is limited. Look at Manu..he wasn't overly special at the 97 worlds but he went to Europe excelled and 3 years later he Was a spur. IMO Drmic and Hadziomerovich should have signed for Euro clubs. I know they were considering it

Reply #305876 | Report this post

Imno  
Years ago

ok my 15 1/2 y.o. son just got back from 2nd trip to USA
Not looked at for AIS because state coaches do the selections and they only send their "favorites"
Yes he was a state player last year and they asked/invited him back to NITC (national intensive training camp) but declined as it clashed with his USA trip.
The US scouts know very little about AIS and dont want to know !!

Funny thing is - He has been offered a scholarship to complete his last 2 to 3 years of high school at an Arizona HS because he doesn't play the Australian way - he plays hard - the American way.

Also noticed by 2 Colleges who inquired about him and where stunned to find out his age.

His preference is to play there and get noticed rather than play here un-noticed !! just like Mills and Bogut.

Reply #305997 | Report this post

Jake Hulskmap  
Years ago

What is your son's name?? i might know him as i made nationals for b-ball

Reply #438083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut wasnt that good here.

Reply #438088 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

yes I know this is years ago but -

Just curious re IMNO

Does anyone know who this was and did his boy go ??

BTW - don't know that stacker made a big difference

Reply #494074 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

But 36ers might have done better to sign him rather than Clarke :)

Reply #494075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754