watching the crows
Years ago

first aid kit contents

just interested - what do most teams carry as routine in their FA kits - i need to restock ours.

obviously band aids and panadol
is there a gel for stemming bleeding during the game?

Topic #2483 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, this is what I was given in my first aid kit from my club.

1 x Sling
8 x Alcohol Swabs
1 x Roll Tape
10 x Band Aids
5 x Clean Dressing Pads
2 pairs Disposable Gloves
1 x Travel Pack Tissues
1 x Piece of Rubber Tubing
1 x Chux Wipe for Ice Packs

I'm still yet to work out what the tubing is for, finger splint maybe, but it's too bulky for that and too small for any other type of splint :S

Reply #27795 | Report this post

what is that gel stuff they use in the afl for clotting up lacerations on the brow etc ?

Reply #27796 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I know that years ago in football vaseline was used on small abrasions and cuts to stem the flow of blood. Not sure about the gel stuff.......maybe a new wangfangdangle thing.

Reply #27800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon the small piece of tubing is to go over the end of sissors so it doesnt pierce you.
And you should not be giving any medication with out being an aurthorised medical personnel or the childs own parent/or permission from such.

Reply #27839 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

i sprained my ankle at pasadena and all the stadium had was icypoles to stop the swelling

Reply #27842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #27839 why would the tubing go over scissors when I don't have any scissors. Also the tubing wouldnt be big enough for scissors.

Also it depends what you mean by medication and what it is needed for.

Reply #27853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

medication is anything ie panadol ventolin inhaler etc, legally you can only be a regonised medical personel or a certified sports trainer to give stuff that is not prescribed for the individual.
Legally if you give somebody especially an under age person anything and they have any sort of reaction to anything you are the one that is sued or whatever.If you save a life you are hailed as a hero,fine line, be aware of your rights and responsibiliy.
However if the person is able to self medicate and are legally responible for themselves then you dont have to worry.
Tubing is to go over the tips of a pair of small scissors that you as team manager was expected to supply.

Reply #27859 | Report this post

Bottles  
Years ago

if your responsible for a girls team its best to have some emergency supplies of female hygine products aswell..

Reply #27872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I as team manager". I'm the coach and have also attained my senior first aid certificate so I know what I can and can't do. Also inhalers can be used by anyone as it really can't do any damage besides opening the airway.

I have the first aid kit as it's in my team bag with my basketballs which travels with me to trainings and games that way there can never be a "whoops I forgot the first aid kit".

Reply #27877 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Good Luck mate!!.........(#27877)
"Also inhalers can be used by anyone as it really can't do any damage besides opening the airway."

Got a Degree in pharmacology as well?? Known allergies, contraindications?? OWN medications administered by own self, and NEVER share or give to anyone else.

Get a good lawyer if thats your view and NO way is that edict taught in ANY training courses I have been too over the past 10 years!

WELL done tho coach being so well organised and efficient in having 1st aid kit with you at all times!! Top class. :P:P

Reply #27881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

farviewer, thought it was just me that understood what i was trying to tell the good coach who has done a first aide certificate, but thanks for the clarification.
Coach contact your club administration on what you are allowed to do or not and get them to bring you up to par on all the legalities.

Reply #27885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:| fair enough. But I'm not kidding when I say this is what I was told when I did my course. Yes I know you can't physically put the inhaler in their mouth and MAKE them take it, yet I was at the belief that if they needed an inhaler you could let them self administer it to avoid the legalities :S oh well learn something new everyday. Sorry about the conflict guys, thanks for enlightening me (and i'm sure there's other people that would've liked to know).

Reply #27890 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

No conflict here coach. Just trying to help anyone who is doing great, unpaid jobs to help players succeed and keep them physically safe!!

:P

Reply #27892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok just wondering, I went to my St John Australian First Aid book and looked up asthma and I came across this on page 180 (for those playing at home :P)

"Where permitted under local State or Territory regulations:
- use another person's reliever inhaler or use one from a first aid kit to assist a casualty with a severe asthma attack
- if someone is having difficulty breathing, but has not previously had an assthma attack, assist in giving 4 puffs of the reliever and continue with 4 puffs every 4 minutes if required until an ambulance arrives"

Which still makes me confused. Please elaborate on your answer, I am in no way trying to start an argument just wanting to confirm what the ruling is if you know and also how you know the ruling compared to a first aid book?

Reply #27893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a first aid book not a law book

Reply #27895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"where permitted under local, state and territory regulations".
These are the key words.

Reply #27897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this and understand that. I was taught at my course that this was allowed, not saying you guys are wrong or not but I would just like to clarify where and how you know this.

"its a first aid book not a law book"

so in other words you're saying that you shouldnt go by what a first aid book says but instead go out and learn law also. I thought first aid courses were for a reason.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want a clear answer for my own knowledge and like I said before I'm sure there are others out there that may like to know but just dont want to speak up.

Reply #27898 | Report this post

Dissenting Vote  
Years ago

We had the same discussion at our club where ther nurses said "Do you just let them die" and the lawyers said "Yes".

Reply #27904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

000 is all the numbers you need if its beyond SIMPLE first aide.
Professional help within minutes.
No need to diagnose, give unlawful medication and in extreme situation saves lifes.And no law suit

Reply #27907 | Report this post

Dissenting Vote  
Years ago

Asthma caused 31 deaths in SA in 2002 or didn't they call 000? (Read the stats at asthmasa.org.au it makes you think how lucky we've been).

Reply #27909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was talking to a friend whose partner rang 000 after she fell in a national park and smashed her shoulder out of recognisable shape. After a series of conversations with the 000 operator (interstate)regarding the whereabouts of Stoneyfell there was a delay of 1 & 1/2 hours before an ambulance inappropriate to the circumstances arrived e.g. no 4WD drive and the injured person with a possible back injury was in scrub on a 4WD track ......... Hopefully that is an exception but dont think that ringing 000 means immediate response.

Reply #27912 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

The contents of a first aid kit are very important. A general list can be found in any St Johns/Red Cross first aid book.
The other thing that is constantly overlooked is the required training. (No use having the tools if you do not know how to use them!!!)

Reply #27926 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Some of the best stuff I have ever seen was used on a guy that I took to hospital after slashing his wrists. The doc's actually superglued them together with a non-toxic industrial strength superglue . Awesome stuff and is about 2 bucks a small tube.

The glue actually closed the wounds and also formed a scab over the lacerations meaning that he could shower ect ect. Much easier than stitching as I wouldn't allow the doc to remove the cuffs.

I now keep a few tubes in my first aid kit when I work on the road.

Reply #27944 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

oops, should I said that the doc didn't glue his wrist's together, but glued the lacerations shut.

Reply #27954 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754