Anonymous
Years ago

Eagles vs Sabres, this weekend

i hear wayville is gonna be gonna huge next week...
eagles vs sabres...
theyre pulling out the big stands (like used for WNBL) for the expectation of a big game.

Should be awesome considering the lineup of both teams

Topic #2486 | Report this topic

tennis anyone  
Years ago

get the stands out - that sounds like a good idea - why not get it advertised a bit - give away some tickets as well at the juniors on friday night.

why not get the clubs to run a $1.00 night even?? or come in your clubs colours for free

it will be 32 degrees next saturday - get the bbq out the front and the fans blowing (and the beer chilled in the bar)

both men and women will be great - i do dare pick a winner

Reply #27830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its been quite heavily advertised at fville..
all players that come in some part of club uniform = free entry
not sure if that applies for sturt too.. but yeah, cant wait

Reply #27832 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Yep, it applies to Sturt juniors too.

Reply #27850 | Report this post

Apparantly, Paul please verify, they are trying to get as many as 1000 people to the game. So let me see that will be 992 forestville people and 8 sturt people. This would be the same if it were played as a home game. Every sturt game has had more opposition fans watching so far.

Reply #27884 | Report this post

Isaac can you do a advertisement for the game like you have done before. Lets see if we can 1000+ to the game, it should be a hell of a game, even if Mottram will not be playing.

Reply #27886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think eagles will win in a canter....the dix forman match up will be worth the price of admission alone.....will be a great game...i dont think bauer can handle sullivan...fville by 10-15.

Reply #27887 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BIFF, yeah, it's on the cards. Will try to fit something in this morning.

Update regarding promo poster: Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar may NOT actually be at the game. Jason Dix and Darren Ng will be though!

Reply #27910 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Great promo Isaac. Should be great derby, showdown between traditional rivals. In know the Eags are promoting this hard amongst the club and have made attendance virtually compulsory for the juniors.

Reply #28105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagle juniors will see Forman dominate Dix - too agile/too quick, the sun has set on Dix....

Reply #28110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At the other end, would Gower defend Dix? Or would Sturt stick with a zone against Newley?

Is Dix any less agile than he used to be? He's still putting up very broad stats (nearly a triple double twice in three games).

If Mottram were in the Eagles line-up, Sturt might've had match-up troubles against Mottram, Farman and Dix on court at once -- might have had to play Finkemeyer on Mottram or Farman.

I think it could be time for Hakendorf to start. Let Benson relax a bit and come off the bench.

Last game, Forestville started Gange, Sullivan, Newley, Dix and Mottram. They'll probably start Gange, Sullivan, Newley, Dix and Farman. (Or Sutton?)

Sturt last started Bauer, Ng, Benson, Forman and Gower. I'd consider Hakendorf in there to defend Newley (or at least try to restrict him), put Gower on Dix, and Forman against Farman perhaps?

Reply #28113 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Could Sturt try Gower on Newley? If he gets off early, Gower could be the guy to get under his skin and put him off his game. Then again, he could fire him up even more, and have him go off for 40!

I think your point re Hakendorf/Benson is vaild Isaac. Hakkas has long arms, and is a considerably better defender than Benson, in my opinion.

I'd assume that Farman would get the starting gig ahead of Sutton. That still gives them 2 'bigs' (Dix & Farman) plus Newley at the 3 spot. If Sutton starts, it means Newley will be playing as a 4 man. I'd be looking for Dougie to get a few extra minutes with Mottram out. I think he had 10 & 9 last week against Norwood, and you know he's always going to give 100%.

The battle of the guards will be interesting. Gange is talented, but still a little inexperienced at ABL level, while Sullivan is deadly from the outside. Bauer obviously has the experience over Gange, and Eagles fans would be hoping Potsie doesn't hit some shots early, otherwise he could be dangerous. Who guards Ng? Maybe Newley & try to 'hide' Sullivan or Gange on Hakendorf/Benson? Could be a risky move, as both are capable of scoring. Then you have Shep & Sutton off the bench. Both have shown they can compete at ABL level in the past couple of years. Shep is dangerous when he gets in the lane, and Forestville will need to restrict his penetration. Sutton can stick the 3 ball and could be very valuable for the Eagles if he hits a few to spread the defense.

Dix is a class act. Still seems agile enough from what I have seen. Knows he doesn't need to be 'the man' anymore on this Forestville team, and has adjusted his game accordingly. Still dangerous, because you know he has the ability to hit 30 on any given night if he really wants to. He's got an important job in guarding Oscar. The fact Oscar plays so far from the hoop means (assuming Dixie guards him) he basically takes away Forestville's best rebounder, so they will need Farman, McDonald-Taylor & Newley to hit the boards hard, or else Gower, Finkemeyer, Hakendorf & Benson could have a field day on the O boards. Last week, Forstville conceded 38 offensive boards to a Norwood side which was considerably smaller than this Sturt side.

My tip? Newley to have the game we have all expected of him, Ng to be a class above the rest of the guards on the floor and Oscar & Dix to have a great battle.

I'll go with the home side by 5.

Reply #28116 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

They could well start Sutton in the 2-spot for Gange. Which would solve those matchup problems. DMT needs to play 25 plus mins. That guy is all heart and clears a lot of rebounding space for the 2 Jasons with his body. Can't see Forestville containing Sturts penetration. Sturt by 13

Reply #28119 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

They could well do that Stella. Then have Sutton on Ng? Or Newley on Ng and Sutton on Hakendorf/Benson? Either way, yeah, you're right, Sutton gives them a few extra inches.

Problem then is that Sullivan is basically the exclusive ballhandler. I think of Sully as more of a 2 guard in a 1 mans body? Unless you try playing Newley at the point... I guess we'll just have to wait & see on the night!

Certainly some intriguing thoughts though.

Reply #28120 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

You just never know Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar may be there to see this game. (They could be closet forum readers! Disguised as Skyhook and Panther......)

Hell, I might even miss the game at Marion.

Nah, coach would be pissed!

Reply #28123 | Report this post

disapointed  
Years ago

cant believe i have to work and will miss all the action. D'oh!!!

Reply #28136 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Mustafah ...

Would be better to be a "closet" forum reader than a "closet" ...

Besides i dont have the legs to be Buffy .. !

Reply #28139 | Report this post

DOUGHY's FAN!  
Years ago

forestville's game plan, give it to doug and get out of the way! you know the points will drop for doug!

Reply #28419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO YOU EAGLES

Reply #28433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturts penetration to good for f'ville.sturt by 15. oh and there will be a lot of sturt supporters there dont worry about that. forman to good for dix

Reply #28857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO THE DOUBLE BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #28858 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Expect a Hot/Not on this game. Can't wait.

Reply #28884 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

Anon,

Why will there be a lot of Sturt supporters there?
They cannot even get thirty to a home game?

Reply #28889 | Report this post

Hypocritical Boti  
Years ago

Good to see in Boti's write up today he mentioned that that biggest reason their is a rivalry between Forestville and Sturt is that he was removed from coaching the Sturt senior Womens team eon's ago and has still got a grudge. That he has accused Sturt of stacking their team. Good to see that he can have some journalistic integrity and accuse Forestville of doing the same thing.

Either that or he is emotionally scared from the continual Grand Final loses that the U/12's inflict on him each year. But that's to be expected from a coach who trap's and zone's in U/12's.

The fact that both clubs are able to work together to produce a domestic competition shows that they both have underlying respect for each other.

It is a battle of philosophies. One club has promoted their juniors. (Sturt has only two players from outside clubs across both teams) While the other has tried to recruit as many players from other clubs. (Forestville will be suiting no less than 12 players from other clubs across both teams). I hope all the Forestville juniors are out there to see every other clubs junior playing for their senior teams. Maybe they should see through the fact that they might win and see that in the future they woin't get a game in seniors.

This should be a great contest in both games.

Reply #28893 | Report this post

Easy Rider  
Years ago

Do not forget the Sturt juniors over the years Matt Illman, Justin Wilkey, Ben Loman, deanna Smith, Jess Mahoney oh the list goes on Hypo Boti you have a very short memory.

Reply #28896 | Report this post

Importville  
Years ago

Matt Illman actually started at Sturt, then went to Forestville and then South and back to Sturt.

Wilkey played 1 year, Lomman 2, Smith 2, Mahony 2.

The list does not go on...

As far as home grown vs others, the total has never been below 75% of the lists and is generally 80% or above. This year it is over 90%.

It is impossible to have all home growns in your ABA team, but 12 imports in 2 teams that is ridiculous.

There are some Fville people privately (they can't do it publicly for fear of being seen to be disloyal) spewing at that figure.

Championships that are bought mean less than championships that have been won with players the club has developed.

Reply #28898 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754