skull
Years ago

Question for NZ Breakers Players

i wonder what the breakers players would say if the Wallabies kept warming up during the
All Blacks 'hukku'.

just a question !!

Topic #24862 | Report this topic

curious  
Years ago

context?? anyone??

Reply #306476 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the nbl has this morning warned teams to behave professionally,after the nz breakers continued to warm up while the the taipans were introduced to the crowd on saturday night.
coach fearne and the nz assistant coach were physically seperated when fearne protested.

Reply #306481 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

yeah well that is very antagonising by them and in that case the breakers people would probably say something like "thet us e luttle but rude bro!"

or the taipans could just do the same back to them when they come to cairns and get a bit of spite, passion, mind games, intensity etc. happening in the contest as they will dislike each other!! this would be way more entertaining to watch for me anyway!!

who cares if it sets a bad example i miss seeing that type of stuff in professional sport, same as with the nba tech fouling players for waiving there finger after a block mutumbo style or trash talking!! that is what is fun to watch!

Reply #306497 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yep,i agree it certainly adds some spice......

back to my original question re- all blacks 'hukku'

Reply #306499 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

i think you mean "haka", as for your original question i thought maybe it was supposed to be rhetorical, i am not a new zealand breakers player but of course they would say that is was disrepectful and not sportmanlike enough and yes that does make them hypocritical. That is obvious, for me the debate then becomes "is this good or bad for sport or for a national league?"

i think yes!! bring it on they are not mates they are rivals!

Reply #306513 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Sounds like the NZ coach might be getting a little a head of himself. Arrogance and Confidents are not the same thing.

Reply #306515 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

The All-Blacks "Hukku" is better than the All-Blacks Haiku.

That makes no sense at all.

Reply #306521 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

This is a bit petty really, its professional sport. Id say its a different story if the Breakers were warming up during the Aus anthem and vice versa with the haka, but c'mon this is just silly. Love how the NBL is all over it and shows immediate response where as are very slow in other more important areas!

Reply #306523 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think everyone is forgetting that the Breakers head coach is an Australian and he makes all the calls.

Reply #306525 | Report this post

Page  
Years ago

From having met and known the guy, NZ's assistant coach Vickerman is a bit of a knob. He was probably just defending his team, but I can definitely understand why Fearne reacted to NZ continuing to warm up. IMO, its disrespectful.

Reply #306527 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Fizzle-

pre game celebration = pre game celebration

national anthem = national anthem

Reply #306534 | Report this post

Eight  
Years ago

"The All-Blacks "Hukku" is better than the All-Blacks Haiku.

That makes no sense at all"

Yep Billy, it doesn't make sense. Especially when as far as I can see you're referencing yourself?

Reply #306545 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the haka means? Is it a taunt? If it is, culturally important or not, why should the other team have to stand there and watch? I am waiting to see a Braveheart style response during the rugby world cup.

Reply #306546 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nolan, the Haka is the Maori war dance performed just before a battle.

The "Hey You" is the Bogan war dance performed in the car park of a pub

Reply #306553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, teams should pause warm-ups while each team is being introduced.

Reply #306555 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

normally at night the lights go off and you can't warm up during the introductions unless you are Jedi , I blame the NBL for having the game too early.

Reply #306561 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Lucky I wasn't playing against em. I would've waited for their pregame huddle and walked through it, Dermie style. Disrespectful and unwarranted - good on Fearne for flying the flag.

Reply #306571 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Haka has cultural significance. Turn your back on the haka or show disrespect and you will probably be labelled a 'racist'.

Your not going to get the same reaction for practicing during player warmups because it doesn't have ethnic/cultural origins.

IMO, Player introductions are used mainly for the home crowd and to fire them up. The Breakers didn't need to know who they were playing, they had probably been scouting them for days on end!

Reply #306704 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i understand that the haka has cultural signficance to its people.
so why do it in the middle of the ground and FORCE the other team to watch it......or be labelled racist.

in australia mate, your home is your castle.
you come in to some ones home....you show some repect!! thats australian culture!

otherwise,i like the idea of walking off mid - haka,mid-warm ups, i think it is exactly whats needed in pro sports.....a bit of spice....lets roll the dice,last man standing wins.

p.s thank fuck that cyclone is gone....it was really starting to mess my hair up !!

Reply #306990 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Only France faced the Haka at the WCs. Some of them looked shocked when Pero stood up and moved them right up to the half court line!

Reply #306998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been at every Breakers game this year and every team including the taipans have started warming up during the breakers intros. If the breakers started their warm up during the intro I have no issue with them.

Reply #307536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754