clarky
Years ago

UNOFFICIAL: Nevill quits Tigers

This news is unofficial at the moment but Daniel Eade is reporting on Twitter that Luke Nevill has quit the Melbourne Tigers to accept a contract playing in Russia.

@DanielEade: Luke Nevill has quit the Melbourne Tigers to accept a contract to play in Russia.

Thread will be updated when more information becomes available.

Apparently this is mentioned by Interim Coach Darryl McDonald on tonight's episode of Overtime

Topic #24880 | Report this topic

A.W  
Years ago

D-Mac broke this story on overtime.

Reply #306739 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jump ship

Reply #306740 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Sounds like the ship is going down pretty fast.
Daniel Eade followed his first tweet with this regarding Luke Nevill.

@DanielEade: There is more to Luke Nevill's departure than him just accepting an offer to play in Russia.

Reply #306741 | Report this post

Brown  
Years ago

DMac said Neville's agent called the manager of Melb and said he'd take the Russia offer...sounds like it's true.

Reply #306744 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Aww and i was just beginning to 'love to hate' this guy! Oh well, he must be gettin paid big time....cos Wade was on a massive amount, can only imagine what Neville is leaving on the table at the Tigers!

Reply #306745 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Any more news? Is Nev out as of right now, or is there a small chance he plays a farewell game this weekend? Over McPeake's dead body right?

Reply #306748 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Could Majok fill the spot?

Reply #306749 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Fizzle - I was under the impression that Nevill was on more money this year then Helliwell was, but I could be wrong there.

Beantown - It sounds like McPeake was always willing to release players to pursue better opportunities, and whether he plays a final game is still unknown as far as I know.

How would it feel being Helliwell at the moment, looks like the main reason he wasn't released is probably because the club got word that Nevill was moving on.

Reply #306750 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well that's it. I'm done.

Reply #306754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill quits the Tigers? Oh man they're done.

How the hell do they ever hope to entice big name players to that stinking organisation ever again?

I think the league might have to step in at some point, McPeake is destroying that club.

Reply #306756 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

IMHO - The league stepped in by ensuring that the Dragons group finally got a license after years ( over 5 ) of McPeake's blocking a 2nd Vic license going to those with more money than himself, or ensuring it went elsewhere first.. The trouble is when it finally got to those with more money than him, they got a championship but did not have enough history to survive the Visy price fixing scandal, the death of the de-facto "godfather" of the visy dynasty , the "folding" of the NBL, and then the GFC.

Reply #306758 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

very old, the visy price fixing scandal had nothing to do with the demise the Dragons... and Pratt himself had nothing to do with the Dragons. If memory serves correctly it was Pratt's independently wealthy son in law (no idea of his name but he has certainly not passed away) who was funding the Dragons with Cowan and it was well know that Cowan was the majority shareholder.

At the time it was widely reported that Cowan and comoany withdrew the team because they did not think the new league model going forward would be financially effective.

Reply #306759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For anyone interested, Centrebet still have the Hawks at $2.60 in Melbourne this weekend. Keep in mind that Wollongong will have played in NZ on Thursday, and that there is some kind of mystery effect on teams after a coach is sacked whereby they often turn around and surprise everyone in the first game. Still, $2.60 is $2.60.

Reply #306761 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

@anon- they will entice players in one way or another and 3 words some it up lindsay+andrew gaze

Reply #306766 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Isaac

I got them at $3.50. The Tigers could go either way tho... Come out and prove a point or pack it in.

Reply #306767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

daniel eade is on fire lately.

Reply #306771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey won't be able to coach because he is going to replace Nevill.

Reply #306772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Melbourne Tigers seem to be on fire too...

Reminds me of when Cairns fell over and the highly-paid guys were bumped and when the Spirit fell over and Khazzouh or Knight or whoever it was took a Euro deal straight away. Most of the better players would be turning down Euro offers regularly that suddenly get a whole lot more appealing when their local club shows cracks.

Reply #306773 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, I think youll find that the Visy scandal had more to do with Raph Geminder withdrawing his support from the Dragons than you think.

Reply #306774 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

JVG gave a hello to paul.
D mac confirmed Nevill is off to russia, therefore keeping Helliwell
while all 3 thought Tigers will beat the Hawks

Reply #306777 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Phil Smyth. Now there's a name ,
mentioned by Nagy , today.
'See how D Mac goes first.'

Reply #306788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seamus has ruined the melbourne tigers.
i want to see westover at sydney next year, surely moose couldnt keep his job after this season

Reply #306789 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Forall the punters: Beware of the team playing for a new coach.

Slightly unrelated: Does anyone else think that Luke Nevill looks like the Shawn Bradley alien in Space Jam?

Reply #306803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparently he went to melbourne to play for westover because he saw anstey's successful career and didnt want to hang around if he wasn't going to be coaching. but very good call on the space jam shawn bradley haha

Reply #306842 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

i heard that too anon

Reply #306846 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

i also agree with the space jam call!

Reply #306847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Juror, I have taken that risk... fingers crossed.

Reply #306877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might be hwells last chance to prove himself,
at least he'll get some decent game time.

Reply #306907 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Russian club that Nevill is being linked to is Spartak Moscow who are currently in 5th place in the Russian League, and are currently playing in the final 16 of EuroChallenge.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-upheaval-for-darryl-mcdonald/story-e6frf9if-1225999895512

Reply #306925 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Luke Nevill has confirmed his departure from Melbourne and has signed to play with Triumph in the Russian League who are urently sitting in 7th spot.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Russia/basketball.asp?NewsID=216724

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/tigers-lose-centre-luke-nevill-to-russia/story-e6frfgbf-1226000078433

Reply #307084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754