Hoops
Years ago

What is Boti on about?

Daly was terrific but almost too much was expected of him as Sixers coach Marty Clarke only went with two bigs at any given time and even one for stretches.

Midway through the third quarter, Adelaide was chasing a 57-66 deficit with Daniel Johnson as its only big, surrounded by Daly, Bruce, Mitch Creek and Brad Hill.

A triple by Daly, twin steals and baskets by Creek and a Bruce three made the plan seem feasible, the 10-0 run making it 67-66 to the 36ers.

36ers look good when they go small, almost too much was expected from Daly, im glad coach Clarke expects great things from his players,or the alternative is???

Topic #24909 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The alternative is losing. i.e., you cannot really expect Daly to carry that team to a win and play that much bigger than he is - not his style of game. Other players came up short.

Boti did acknowledge that playing small ball worked for passages.

Reply #307306 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

You missed the point,if you expect little you get little, who knows their players are capable of Boti or Clarke? thats the trouble with society we expect Mediocrity and, what do we get? who said Daly needed to carry the 36ers, not me, Boti said "but almost too much was expected of him" not quite, but almost, give me a break what does that mean? He played the game of his short career "but almost too much was expected of him".Put the cotton wool away, we wont break him,he is young next week he might be terrible who knows, ask Daly if he thought "almost too much was expected of him". Seems to me 36ers are improving, but not fast enough for some, maybe a coach said he has a 3 year plan and actually means it for a change.

Small Ball keeps them in Games.

Reply #307314 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't really get your point Hoops, you're not being very clear.

Reply #307320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I got your point, I just think that you're getting caught up on one line, the nuances of which could be taken any number of ways. The goal here is to win the game, not test the capacity of an individual player. And they obviously didn't win the game.

What I took from the line was that he's one player on a team and expectations are higher for almost every other member (each paid more highly than Daly) who needed to step up in that situation.

Reply #307321 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I read that comment also and thought it strange considering how physically tall that lineup actually is,
but after a while, I thought the comment might be more about how those players play rather than their height.

None of that lineup are beasts on the boards or post up scorers. Those three forwards might be taller than Mark Davis but none of them create space in the paint {yet..?.} like he used to.

But hey if it works, go with it I reckon.

Reply #307323 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

IMO Boti is pointing out that our roster is very unbalanced. Like the tigers had a surplus of bigs we have a surplus of smalls. Main issue is that there is not enough minutes to go around.

Both this year and last year when we finsihed last we got smashed on the boards. It was obvious after the first few games nothing had chnaged in regards to rebounding and when Winder and De Vries were cut we replaced them with more guards rather than trying to correct our rebounding problem.

In numerous posts I keep hearing it is an attitude / effort issue more so than lack of height which I somewhat agree with however how long do you persist with it for? Just because NZ and the Cats have similar size teams does not mean we have to copy their roster as there bigs are better quality and more experienced.

We need to do our own thing and recurit players to rebound the ball and provide support to our frontcourt.

Reply #307326 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How long do you persist? Probably until the end of the season. Probably a waste of money to try fixing it now.

Other than Holmes and maybe Ng (injured) I don't think you can look at a single 36er and say "rebounds above their size."

Reply #307331 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

If I thought Daly would be in the team next year for sure I would buy a Daly singlet.

If he can reproduce that game a couple of more times this year he is the find of the season in my books.

Chalk one up to the coach? (Yikes, I'm dying here.....)

Reply #307333 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No need for an import point next year with Bruce and Carter heading towards their prime and Daly showing some promising signs.

They can then use one import spot up front.

Reply #307344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i say get rid of howard now and play daly for the rest of the season

Reply #307347 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes I think so.
Hang on - next game - Shannon Carter Bruce Daly
Ballinger Holmes Hill Creek Johnson Dowdell.
Your right . Daly gets left home if Howard plays.

Reply #307353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dropping Howard for Daly would give up a few inches and a bit of rebounding. Made me check the import rebounding numbers. Winder was 4.1, DeVries 3.9. Shannon is 3.0 and Howard is 2.3. Probably a MPG issue at play, but that's 8 RPG down to 5.3 RPG. ORPG down from 1.8 to 1.1.

Reply #307382 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Negativity! Do we forget there was no club not that long ago,36ers are still penny pinching at the moment as they should be to get some stability.
What is the Answer to that?
Buy a championship or recruit a coach that is known as one of the best developing coach's in the world.
The front office have made a very wise decision and get no credit from some, not all,for thinking long term.
Put 3 years on Creek,Daly,Dowdell under Clarke, not to mention we are in the box seat for any Ex Ais kids returning from College, what a great position we are in.
Turn that Frown upside down people, remember negativity sells news papers. That's what i think!!

Reply #307383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoops, I'm sure you're a friend of Marty's, but you've lost me here with the ra-ra. We're not talking about 36ers ownership or money matters, just Howard/Daly, point guard options, etc.

Reply #307388 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Carter Bruce Daly might be a long term thing.
Howard unlikely.

Reply #307392 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Agree Camel 31,yer sorry Isaac i read your earlier ra ra and got carried away,Stay positive man the world is a wonderful place.

Reply #307394 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Size has nothing to do with winning or losing. Straight out of the coaches mouth "its in the head". That's what you use to play successful basketball, your head.

Reply #307444 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

It wasn't in Tom Daly's head when he boxed out perfectly and the bigger Kings dude just reached over his head and grabbed the ball. Was it 43-21 on the boards? can't get it in my head. and here's another vote for dumping Howard.

Reply #307448 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I'd prefer Daly then Howard and then replace Howard with a 7 foot import that can rebound but also play. Like another poster already said the 36ers are cash strapped so maybe thats not a viable option but i think thats what they should do in the future. I used to play basketball at Sturt and i can tell you right now Tom Daly is a gun and pretty much always has been. I remember right back from U12s when he was playing 1st year in div 3 he was scoring 30+ points regularly. Years later he's playing ABL for sturt and still posting up 20+ regularly so we know he can play.

Reply #307456 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As I recall , most would've signed Daly , last season as our YAP, but we signed someone else , who has left
our sport.
Most would prefer to see Daly play again, Sunday.

Harris 11th man, but I've mentioned that before and we shall not agree on everything.

Reply #307465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC and Jack - it's not a literal thing. Of course size is one part of it, but when a Petrie or Vukona outrebounds a taller player, that's what the coach is saying - effort levels, attitude, etc.

Reply #307468 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I have also been disappointed with Howard. He looks great in the open court, but who doesn't? He's basically a street baller, and that positive jive he was spouting on the interviews on YouTube has been counteracted by his appalling body language on court. Granted, I don't believe Clarke has utilised him well at all, but Howard will not be back next season, so in a couple of games time when we cannot mathematically make the playoffs I would be releasing him (and Shannon) in favour of Daly and Harris, two guys who will be here next season.

Reply #307472 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ha Ha, couldn't help but laugh at the comments of a cash strapped club that can't afford a centre. It made me think that we pay our players by the kilo, so that's why we get the small ones. Its a joke before anyone gets nasty.

Reply #307535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754