skip
Years ago

Channel 7 'borrows' NBA campaign for AFL

You would presume they obtained permission from TNT, because they are practically the same ad, just a different sport.

Topic #24910 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I can't veiew Youtube at work - would anyone mind elaborating which campaign they're stealing? is it the 'Big' campaign?

Reply #307307 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It has the players talking about their love of the game. Close up on players talking, their comments in text panning in.

The AFL version is nearly identical so it's either a conscious decision to emulate it and they have all the permission required (and even that is still a bit bizarre?), or it's a giant mess that's going to get someone in trouble.

Reply #307310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now waiting for the AFL bobblehead style ads for next season:-)

Reply #307313 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It's almost comical seeing Nick Maxwell in the same spot I just saw the greatest player on earth just second before in an identical ad. I keep expecting some sort of skit...

Reply #307316 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

One big difference is that not one of the AFL guys sounded like they'd actually come up with their own lines. America can pull off ads like that, we should stick to ones where the players don't get to talk.

Reply #307318 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Good call billo. The real answers and emotions are what drove the NBA version and the AFL one failed to emulate it. And they should've known not to put Jack Riewoldt in there lol.

Reply #307324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Total rip-off.

And the AFL players did talk too much, almost as if the ad people said, "let's give them a lot of lines and make them appear sensitive and intelligent..."

The NBA lines were from the heart.

Reply #307325 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Next we'll see Agro singing "Happy Feet".

Reply #307329 | Report this post

your mumma  
Years ago

" i love this game." straight from the 1990's NBA campaign

if you dont believe me you got to believe Ion Zering

There is an entire blog to the tag line
http://www.unathleticmag.com/2009/11/09/ten-awesome-i-love-this-game-nba-commercials/

Reply #307330 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Does it really surprise anyone that the AFL cant think for themselves?

Reply #307334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not an afl add, its a channel seven add. The 'nba' add was done by TNT not the NBA.

Reply #307335 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Im sure the AFL and NBA had input into the adds made by the network.

Reply #307337 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Copying is the greatest form of flattery.

But, WTF is 7 on? I guess the only teams playing in the (V)AFL are Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Gold Coast and Footscray (AKA WB). When the vision came on a few token flashes of Brisbane, Essendon, Adelaide, Geelong and Freo.

I can only assume from this advert that West Coast, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, and Sydney are not playing this season.

Are the AFL downsizing, or don't the last 4 teams matter?

Reply #307340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ Nic Nat got a guernsey. As a port supporter, i never expect to see the club in the AFL adverts. It's all aimed towards the melbourne market, and Melbourne people HATE Port Adelaide, esp Collingwood.

Reply #307342 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Man the NBA one gives you goosebumps, genuine feel and emotion on the players especially the slightly wacky KG. The AFL one is horrible, BUT perhaps its worse in my eyes now ive been able to compare it to the NBA add. On its own merits its just another add for the AFL, either way im going to watch the footy, because i like the footy.

Reply #307348 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's definitely a lot more passion with the NBA one.

Reply #307351 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Hahahahaha...oh my god, I just watched both. How sterile is the AFL one?

Reply #307358 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Afl ad - terrible but how good was that old NBA - I love this game ad. Man I love old school!

Reply #307368 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

@billo - absolutely agree. Every player sounds like they've been totally spoon fed their lines.

Reply #307371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bobby, sterile is a great word for it. Cheap like a two-minute noodle packet, and they haven't let the players open the flavour sachet.

Reply #307375 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Cheap like a two-minute noodle packet, and they haven't let the players open the flavour sachet."

Isaac, that is Gold! I hope you let me borrow that from time to time

Reply #307379 | Report this post

Curious George  
Years ago

haha Oh dear. What is there to say about this? The AFL's 'version' is horrendous. Painful to watch.

NBA - If you took my heart out, it would be a basketball

AFL - I love living on the Gold Coast, it's good for my tan

Nothing else to say except for - WTF!

Reply #307381 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Has someone considered bringing this to the attention of TNT?

Reply #307393 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Imagine if this much energy went into rejuvenating the NBL rather than slagging off the AFL...

Reply #307401 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Everything's crap about the afl except the footy, but the umpires may stuff that up too.

Reply #307439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they're going to steal an add it could've at least been the bobble head one. at least that ones entertaining.

Reply #307553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754