Spinner
Years ago

Back where we belong - thanks Clarke!

Good to see that now we are second bottom only to the glorified aba side Sydney, Clarke has done his job.
The pathetic excuse for a 3 year plan with players only signed for 1 and rotations that would make anyone dizzy, our great development coach (but not an NBL coach) has done it for us. His arrogance is only surpassed by his lack of understanding that coaching in NBL is different to developing players at AIS.

I love the Sixers, but bloody hell, give us something to be happy about!!!

Topic #25002 | Report this topic

The kid  
Years ago

Spinner please disclose your coaching/playing experience

Reply #308762 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

The Kid, The topic is a bit harsh perhaps, but its all on the money for mine...unfortunately.

Reply #308763 | Report this post

The kid  
Years ago

I just find it humorous how everyone on this site is an expert, I am sure Clarke has reasons for why he has rotations the way he does, like for instance, players maybe breaking team rules during games, not running offences correctly, not playing defence, or maybe the fact that half the team is carrying injuries and can't play more that 20 minutes could be another factor.

He has a 3 year contract, if there is no improvement by this time next year then sure start criticising, but if they make the play offs next year people on this site are going to have egg on face.

But I bet those same people knifing Clarke will be the biggest back flappers in the state.

Reply #308767 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, unless you have a new angle to add, can you stick to the game thread?

Reply #308768 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The kid, how much experience do you need to understand the dire situation we are in? Just look at the ladder and find us 2nd to last. Anyone with half a brain would know that losing more games than you win is not a successful result. One would also understand that although you are trying methods that clearly are not working, you still are stubborn about it and wont change. What does that tell you about the next 2 years of a 3 year plan?

Isaac, it doesn't bother me that there is another thread about this because the word cannot be spread enough about the failure of the current coach.

Reply #308779 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I guess what we must see for the 2nd year is a massive improvement other wise the 3rd year is looking shaky too.

Not convinced the imports are what Clarke is looking for right now.
Certainly plays his rookies far more court time that I thought they would get....

Reply #308780 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Remember we have new team and also have been disrupted by injuries mid-season,I think if we get two good imports a good centre like wilkinson or Brown clone then we get rebounds,we will improve next year,we have more wins last year than Scott did in his final year.Give clarke time ,this team will get better next year,we make finals next year.

Reply #308789 | Report this post

In the Knoiw  
Years ago

Yeah Spinner and EC what is your coaching/playing experience.

Reply #308790 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Suffice to say I haven't played or coached NBL if that is your point..........but you don't have to have had a broken leg to see someone's leg is broken!!!

I'm not pretending I could do a better job, that's not what this is about. My point is that Clarke is being paid to do a job and the evidence so far is that he sucks.

Sorry Isaac - this thread was about Clarke and our season, not just the one game! I know I am sounding like a broken record, but other than being told I am too negative and should give Clarke a chance, nobody has been able to provide a firm arguement as to why we should be excited or even hopeful of future success.

Reply #308792 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

So you what other coaching or playiung have you done? You do not have to play at the NBl level to understand the game at this level... I will wait for some type of resume' ....

Reply #308793 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My coaching/playing experience extends as far as what the eyes see. I never put my hand up for the job because I hoped that someone who would be good at it would get it.

Reply #308801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, spread word to who? Scare off other fans to drive down revenue to prevent the club having money to get the results you want?! Nice strategy. If you want to express your frustrations to the club, write them a letter.

Reply #308803 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Winitinaminute, most teams have as many new players as we do besides NZ. All teams have suffered injuries. We do NOT have more wins then last season.

Last season we got 10 wins, this season so far 8 and to get 2 more might not even happen!

Last season we weren't able to bring in new imports, this season Clarke has had the choice to get new imports.

Last season there was no Sydney team, whom we have gotten two wins from.

Compare apples with apples. In Ninnis's first season he got 15 wins, in Clarke's first season he has 8 so far and unlikely to get many more. However, as long as he fools you guys with "Its a 3 year plan", "We are developing a culture" you will continue to believe he is a good coach while the way he has coached so far has proved otherwise

Reply #308805 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Ninnis also had a very stacked roster which i think everyone here would say is better than this squad and he only just got over 500
From all reports ninnis only has himself to blame for getting the dont come monday

Reply #308807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of those recent teams had Schenscher, Ballinger, Hodge, Maher, Davidson - Hodge-issues asside, many fans would kill to have that line-up now. It went 15-15 with import issues and injuries. Can't remember the record when at reasonable strength, but I think we were about .500 with Hodge there.

Reply #308810 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A very stacked Roster? Maher was injury plaqued the whole season. We had Schenscher but Clarke had the choice to get him also and choose not to. Also had Winitana. Yeah massively stacked

"many fans would kill to have that line-up now" but the point is we could have had that line up now if Clarke had got Schenscher. We still have Ballinger. A decent import. Bruce/Carter should be better then Davidson. And Maher was injury plagued. We also have an extra import now and more depth than that team.

I don't think Ninnis did a good job and was disadvantaged by not being able to cut imports but he did a better job then Clarke so far.

Reply #308812 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Ninnis was able to cut imports. Any thought otherwise is a phallacy

Reply #308814 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

oh and yes i would call a team with two ex NBA players, League MVP runner up, a 3 time olympian and future HOF,a commonwealth gold medalist in it stacked compared to what we have this year.

Reply #308815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB3.That's a bit dicky!

Reply #308818 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

nothing like going off half cocked

Reply #308822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love Marty who was the AIS coach for so long getting the Sixers gig and now being criticised for failing to deliver.
Certainly his form so far is poor and will need to be looked at, but who else besides all the experts here, is better?
Joyce? Molloy? All old names.
Sixers certainly need to be no whre near the bottom of the ladder, that needs to change in a hurry.

Reply #308825 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with Spinner. The most disappointing think IMO is that we are going backwards. The 'strategic' 3 yr plan is flawed.

We need to work on a strong 8 man rotation for next year and run with the players. Only players worth keeping are Daly, Carter, Balls and Creek.

Reply #308847 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with Spinner. The most disappointing think IMO is that we are going backwards. The 'strategic' 3 yr plan is flawed.

We need to work on a strong 8 man rotation for next year and run with the players. Only players worth keeping are Daly, Carter, Balls and Creek.

Reply #308848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB3, cant complain about you being half-cocked, your 100% cock.

Reply #308870 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, would you like me to keep hush hush about it. There are atleast 5000 people out there seeing exactly what I am. Its no secret.

Reply #308890 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Oh, and BTW, have just checked the live scoreboard with 1.32 to go and 6ers down by 17 points. Another feather of failure in the Clarke cap. Its true, we are travelling backwards to this 3 year plan. I would put a stop to this backward trip immediately.

Reply #308900 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

haha ha ha anon that is hilarious do you have a show at the fringe would love to hear some more of your witty banter

Reply #308914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, where did I say that? I suggested that someone use an existing thread (e.g., keep talking, just talk in a particular place) if they were covering the same thing. You specifically framed your reply as wanting to spread the word, hence my response.

Reply #308920 | Report this post

Interested.  
Years ago

Spinner,

What is the 3 year plan & how are we delivering against it or otherwise..

What measurements are you using to determine how we are traveling against it..

I will be interested to hear your understanding/knowledge of it..

Or are you simply just being an unknowledable observer..

Reply #308943 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

The Sixers need to make player changes.
Carter and Bruce are 2 guards and they are poor decision makers when at the point. Carter can be a coach killer with his shot selection and dumb plays.
Thats why we thought wed be better with Sutton.
We need 2 new point guards, a starter and a back up.
Shench would be great to get back and maybe Marty will want him now, as the monkey has seen. I am not conviced about Daley as he is so small and a liability on defence.
Johnson is soft, dumb and turn over prone.
He shoud play limited minutes.
Balls has got to get more shots????
We got to get a center for sure.
We got to get import Athletic 3 that can rebound and get to the rim.
Hill can be used as a role player.
NG a speialist 3pt shooter as he is terrible on D and doesnt make anyone else better.
This is frustrating at the moment.
Maybe we need to admit a mistake was made and get a winning coach asap.

Reply #308950 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

From a recent newsletter from the 36ers. Like I said in a previous quote about what why I would change about next year's team is only the coach. Can someone explain to me (I think I am not seeing the point here) how we can have so many players who statistically are in the top in their category and yet be so low down on the ladder. From this information in this newsletter, it sound like we should even be beating NZ. Someone please explain the point I am missing here. I am also interested to know why Holmes at the beginning of the season was top in rebounds and now is fourth.

36ers By the Numbers
February 10, 2011, 03:43 PM AEST

Go to:Adelaide 36ers - News & Media

They say that 99% of statistics are incorrect, however nobody really knows who "they" are so let's talk statistics.

Whilst Adam Ballinger is the only 36er in the top 10 in scoring in the league, he along with a number of his team mates are ranked very highly in other categories. Adam Ballinger is currently placed number 8 on the highest scorers in the league averaging 15.3 ppg as well as a close second in average blocks with 1.9 bpg just behind Ater Majok's 2.0 average.

Jacob Holmes started off the season at the top of the rebounds list with 18 rebounds in the opening game against the Perth Wildcats. He still remains high on the list in 4th position averaging 7.5 rebounds alongside Andre Brown.

Our point guards are doing the job as point guards should with Rhys Carter in 4th position in the leagues leading assists with 4.7apg and Eddie Shannon just behind him in 5th position averaging 4.6 apg.

Brad Hill is currently in 4th position of the steals leader list with 1.4 spg with Rhys Carter and Eddie Shannon in a close 5th position with 1.3 spg each.

The 36ers have five of our players being in the top 5 of four awarding categories and not including Ballinger's 8th position in the leading scorers. We also cover other great categories like Tom Daly averaging 93.3% at the free throw line and Darren Ng at 92.9%.

The interesting fact is that the New Zealand Breakers who are sitting tight at first place on the ladder do not have anyone in the top five in any category except for Kirk Penney in second position for the most averaged points per game. However as a team they do have a steady high rank in all categories.

As a team the 36ers are actually the leading team in assists (18), leading in blocks (4), second in foul shot percentage (75%), third in steals (6), third in field goal percentage (44%) and fourth in average points (81ppg). We may not cover all categories perfectly but fans have every reason to believe that there is hope for the 36ers to climb the NBL ladder who are currently sitting in 7th place with a record of 8 wins and 11 losses, just one game behind Wollongong and Gold Coast's 9 wins and 11 losses.

Reply #308952 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Statistics can lie.
For example a lot of players that get in the steal catagory alot of the time are gamblers on defence and give up a lot of penetration that leads to easy baskets.
Watch Carter, as he is shocking and gets beat all the time but will come up with a steal or 2 every game because he gambles so much.
Its killing us.
He takes bad shots , which are like turn overs but every now than makes one and everyone goes ahh!
He is killing us and he Coach and is totally over rated.
How Rebounds are we getting above the rim?

Reply #308959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, that was written by someone in the office, selectively picking stats to try and paint a positive picture and find a silver lining. Moral, marketing, etc - can't blame them for trying.

You could probably do the same for every team in the league. e.g., Sydney are last, but Khazzouh is 1st in rebounding, 5th in PPG, 2nd in blocks, Cooper is 2nd in 3P%, Knight is 1st in FT%. And those are just the ones I could see on the stats index without looking further.

Holmes started well on the rebounding leaderboard because he had 18 rebounds in the first game. You make it sound like you're looking for a coaching conspiracy?!

Reply #308962 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Enter Dan Brown.

Reply #308973 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

We are so good at individual stats because we are playing as individuals.

NZ dont appear on the individuals stats becuase they play as a cohesive unit, otherwise referred to as a team.

This is our problem! I'm not blaming anyone cos I dont know what happens in the inner sanctum but we wont start winning more games until we play as a team!

Reply #309035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good points Tornado.

Crocs are another example of this. No guys at the sharp end of the individual stats tables, yet the team is sitting in 2nd.

Reply #309159 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@tornado apart from Kirk Penny being 2nd in the league in scoring with Wilkinson 9th ( only team to have 2 active players in the ten), Brasswell being top 5 in assists and steals, Vukona being 6th in rebounding.....

Reply #309170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754