Isaac
Years ago

Breheney steps down as Lightning coach

ADELAIDE will have its third WNBL coach in three seasons with Steve Breheny stepping down after Saturday's 100-103 double-overtime loss to West Coast at Wayville.

It was Lightning's second overtime reversal of the weekend following an 81-84 loss to the Spirit in Bendigo on Friday after guard Kelly Wilson hit a three in regulation to save the home team 73-73.
Full story

Topic #25028 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not stepping down far though as he is staying on to effectively run the club. Odd decision to keep him involved.

Reply #309075 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone has to do it if Vince is too sick to handle it himself. Doubt it's a particularly lucrative or glamorous position.

Reply #309076 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I would think there wont be much of a team to manage next year...
Steve is just going back to the role he had last year...

Vince is extremely unwell..

Reply #309078 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How unwell is VInce?

Reply #309082 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Last reports i heard he had handed over day to day business dealings to his next in line..that was before XMas...

most of hte businesses that he had bought in the last 5 years are now back on the for sale market...

So by the way is the Lightning..

Reply #309123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BMF as you said that was before Christmas.

You will find a lot has changed since then, including Vince's health. For the better I might add.

I think the fact Breheny no longer has to do two probably more roles within the club is an example of the fact Vince is going to put more into the team next season.

Reply #309125 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I hope so on both counts...I certainly hope he is recovering well...and i hope the lightning is getting stronger too..
hard to blame Breheny for the on court stuff when he has come in when the team has changed so much...
has been hard to watch a proud club go down as it has..

Reply #309126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed.

Hopefully Vince & Steve can secure the services of either a young up and coming coach with experience in the australian junior system or someone with a very high profile like Timms, Sterling etc.

For the club to turn around from where they are now they need big names. With Graf in charge of the Opals the only way to secure big name players is with a big name respected coach.

Reply #309127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breheny's mate Phil Smyth?

Reply #309148 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Could we see the return of JAN?

Reply #309150 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

if things are as hard to work with in the organisation as gets chatted about on here i would say no way...

that may be the biggest stumbling block for the team as a whole..recruiting with the innuendo from those who have left the club...ohh and on here...:)

Reply #309153 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

148, Now that would be an interesting combo.

Reply #309160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Phil's coaching experience when it comes to women's basketball?

Breheny will tell you that coaching women is a very different proposition to coaching men.

Phil would bring media attention the the team but he would not be a name that women basketballers would play for.

Lightning need someone within women's basketball who can recruit big names. Otherwise they're wasting their time.

Reply #309174 | Report this post

Rabbit 86  
Years ago

Considering the results of the past 2 years with Brehney at the helm, why would Vince want him to remain in charge?

Reply #309178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because its not about Breheny. Results are a result of lowered resources and money from Vince.

Reply #309179 | Report this post

Rabbit 86  
Years ago

Really, in 2 years they have gome from finals under Brehney to bottom really. And I would suggest that West Coast, Townsville, Bendigo and Logan pay less than the Lightning.

Reply #309180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's great but when you go to a player and offer them a third of what they were previously on they're going to walk.

Reply #309182 | Report this post

Rabbit 86  
Years ago

And if you contacted enough players who were good enough, you would have gotten some responses and not lost local players to interstate teams. ie Tess Madgen.

One call and offer dosen't get the job done.

Reply #309183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crap.

Madgen was going to Bendigo for personal reasons.

I'm not saying Breheny is perfect, but I don't think he can be blamed for the failures of the Lightning.

I also believe he can be part of a resurgence, if Marino has the money to lose on the program.

Reply #309187 | Report this post

Rabbit 86  
Years ago

If you are in charge, surely some of the blame must be directed in your direction.

Again, Marino would have lost more money than most other teams, and ended up worse off.

So surely its not ALL about the money?

Reply #309188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breheny is operations manager.

I doubt he's in charge.

Reply #309189 | Report this post

Rabbit 86  
Years ago

I thought that meant he was responsible for recruiting and coaching the team last year?

One would think that carries a fair amount of responsibility.

Reply #309192 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Agreed Rabbit. He was and is in charge...
they will struggle imo to get players and coaches to the system unless they pay good $$ and that is not what I am hearing..
in fact the opposite..

Reply #309195 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think the reasons as to why players can't be attracted go further than just money .... the much debated Daddy-Daughter has to cause some issues. Even if it is all perception, that would be enough for some. You look around the WNBL and see how many quality Ex-lightning players are out there. Not because they weren't wanted, but for some other reason that was enough in may cases, to make them move away from their home town.

Reply #309197 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Most of the former Lightning players who relocated away from Adelaide were interstaters originally

Reply #309261 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Whisper is Dean Kinsman will be heading home

Reply #309488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob, if that whisper is true we'll have an all country lightning and the same lemons from his AIS stint which was not illustrious.

Reply #309533 | Report this post

Anonymous 2  
Years ago

So by lemons are u saying that Liz Cambage, Tess Madgen, Rach Jarry, Cayla Francis, Marianna Tolo, Katie Ebzery, Mia Newley, Stephanie Cumming, Nicole Hunt, Renae Camino & Kerryn Harrington are all Lemons?!! I wouldn't mind having that team in the WNBL.

Reply #309606 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I would say Kinsman will be around the mark...He has been in SA plenty recently and I would not be surprised if he did the job..

i know he will want to set up a program similar to what he did after the AIS job...to top up his wage..

Reply #309614 | Report this post

Wondering  
Years ago

Anymore news on who got the Lighting job?

Reply #310356 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

If Townsville folds, maybe Peter B will be looking for a job

Reply #310363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754