Tool
Years ago

Basketball Floor Wipers

Does anyone know a good supplier of floor wipers? thx

Topic #25031 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

I hope this is for the Sixer games! One of the boys last Friday could barely hold the broom!! Good to see them having their moment in the sun, but not really fair on them or the players. Its professional sport, not the local social comp!!

Reply #309137 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Chux for super wipes

Reply #309138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Lanard's son?
He's been absent from a few of the games. He was always a good floor wiper.

Most of those kids are just tossed out there and not given any training.

Reply #309139 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the lad you refer to was playing district - cant be in 2 places at once.

Reply #309158 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i mentioned this the other week but was even more appalled on friday. i know it was more humid but the kids mopping the floors were barely 6 years old, the t shirts didnt fit them and the amount of time it took them to mop the floor really killed the momentum of the game. its pretty bad. bring back lenards son!

Reply #309162 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Lenards son is definitely MVP of the floor wipers this season!

Reply #309166 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

https://www.shamwow.com/

Reply #309167 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

I am pretty sure I saw one of the dancing girls do it in the gold coast game!! Give them a towel I say ;-)

Reply #309173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been nicer had the air-con been turned on first thing in the morning making the place cooler and therefore making it easier on the floor wipers!

Reply #309194 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

At the start of the season a 1/2 time comp could be held and then 4 winners (2 backup) could win free entry to each home game and the task of floor wiping. Cant be that difficult - can it?

Reply #309196 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

isn't the air con at the dome an evaporate one? if it is when it is humid that will not help at all.

what is at issue is not the mops but the size of the kids. You need some body weight behind it a small child only smears the sweat or water around. Elbow grease only comes from a bigger body plus a small child can't read the game and know when to sprint on clean up and get off without impacting the game.

However it wasn't just the floor wipers the players were all sweating so much the match ball got changed over on more than one occassion, Corletto and Bruce are two who come to mind who looked like they had just stood in the shower fully clothed.

Reply #309200 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Personally I've got two concerns re this. The first could be an actual financial risk to the league and 36'ers owners. Particularly when at quarter time someone , apparently in a position of responsabilty, decided that the floor wiper at the western end of the court need to be replaced by an older child.- this would on the face of it infer that the job done up to that time was not adequate.

1. Floor wipers are required to be provided by those responsible for the running of the game, in order to keep the floor dry and safe and minimise the risk of injury to the players.

2. The provision of floor wipers avoids the issue of negligence of the game controllers in not providing them at all. However replacing a floor wiper on the apparent basis of inability to do the job, would provide a strong basis for a claim against the SOS or NBL by any player who sustained an injury prior to that replacement ( I know the law is an ass).

The core point is that the floor wipers need to be at a appropriate level of competence for the whole game

In a previous life I was one of a number of people who received a legal opinion in respect to a basketball association being at a troubling level of exposure, due to allowing an official to officiate a game in a league higher than they were graded to do, and in which a player was injured.

Accompanying that opinion was a recommendation that the junior floor wipers be accompanied and overseen at ALL times by an adult, who would ensure that the wipers were both on and off the court at appropriate times, to ensure both that the court was dry for the players and officials, and secondly that the wipers themselves were not in the way of the players.

My second point, is that it really P!$$ me off that the idiot running the music runs that " waiting,,waiting,..waiting" music when the wipers are on, insinuating that they should hurry up and get off the court - if i was a young kid, I would not like to be out there while that was playing. I thik that it encourages the kids to do a quick job, not a good job. Which can turn around and bite the owners on the ass if there is some moisture left on the floor..

Reply #309218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very interesting post.

I agree that Skip should avoid that music while kids are mopping the floor (must make them feel awful), but I reckon you can give him that feedback without calling him an "idiot".

Reply #309223 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Very Old - Thanks for the feedback. I will take it on board.

Reply #309227 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Noticed the floor wiping bit and mentioned it on game night. And great / informative post from 'very old'.

Also - Skip - NEVER stop playing HHH's theme "The Game" - I get to walk down center aisle, beer in hand, like it's a WWE entrance ramp every week.

Reply #309235 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Re: the 'waiting' music, I doubt any of the kids are even old enough to know the thinking theme from Jeopardy. I don't think it ever even aired here...

Besides, it only seems to get played when the wiping is taking forever - or a player like Homicide has to step in and give a brief "Now here's how we use a broom" instructional... sometimes on national televeision.

Reply #309236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeopardy is aired on Foxtel.

And the Floor Wipers are monitored by an adult at all times.

Reply #309240 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Please ignore Loco and never play that "The Game" track again. That's just terrible.

Motorhead + Basketball = 2 Separate Worlds.

Please do me a favour skip, go watch NBA Jam Sessions on Youtube and play all the music from that in game.

Reply #309244 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Getting off topic a little here.

The Game has been played during the warm ups at the request of one of the players (like a few other songs are too)

Reply #309246 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

"Anonymous
A few hours ago
15:34 22 Feb 11

Reply #309240
re: Basketball Floor Wipers

Jeopardy is aired on Foxtel.

And the Floor Wipers are monitored by an adult at all times."

Firstly - Then that adult was seriously incompetent (IMHO) in that duty during the last game.

In any case, if there is only one adult, then - according to the old advice we received - the organisers are 1 short of providing unarguably adequate supervision , as there are at least two ends to the court that must be made safe. The advice was that overseen and supervised is sitting next to and directing, not watching from the stands.

To suggest that a 10-14 year old is capable of ensuring their own safety , as well as that of 13 other adults ( players + officials ) while making decisions upon what needs mopping and when - and how to do this while the game is running - is just not too bright - there are reasons why the required age for a full adult driving licence in this state was raised from 16 YO several decades ago.

Secondly - I unreservedly apologise for calling skip (?who) an idiot. I was either unthinkingly lumping him in with the interstate sound persons who I also hear doing the same thing, or I was having a flashback to "Rocket Rod's" cringingly embarrassing time as the merry-go-round music man.

Reply #309266 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I can remember last season when Joey Wright snatched the wipe broom from the floor wiper and did it himself,
it was a statement in itself as he was clearly very angry with what was {wasnn't} happening with regards to the maintenance of the playing surface.

Reply #309298 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I suggest every team gets a simple/retarded adult and dresses them like a kid and they mop the floor, that way if anyone complains they are just being an asshole ;)

Reply #309301 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well if the program didnt clash with district lennards son and off sider would be able to carry out their duties as best Floor Wiper MVP'S IN cOUNTRY
can expect 10 year kids to be randomly pucked to floor wipe - the good floor wipers do great job
keep it up
so comes but to limited cattle in the market

Reply #309303 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Re Mystro's suggestions -

re: Basketball Floor Wipers

I suggest every team gets a simple/retarded adult and dresses them like a kid and they mop the floor, that way if anyone complains they are just being an asshole ;)

all I can do is pass on Big Larry's and Chucky H's identical question to you , - " Fantastic suggestion ! Here at the NBL we like to think we employ the best qualified talent in the country - so this Mystro - is he prepared to travel ?" :))

Reply #309309 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Big Marty is correct - ignore Loco.

Except re: Triple H's theme - he and the un-named player have great taste in hype music :p

And now back to floor wiping.

Reply #309310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754