Anonymous
Years ago

NBA Trade deadline madness

The Celtics have traded Kendrick Perkins & Nate Robinson to OKC for Jeff Green & Nenad Krstic.

Houston has sent Shane Battier to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet and a 1st Rd pick.

Charlotte has sent Nazr Mohammed to OKC for Morris Peterson & DJ White.

Charlotte has sent Gerald Wallace to Portland for Joel Przybilla and a 2nd Rd pick.

Houston has sent Aaron Brooks to Phoenix for Goran Dragic and a 1st Rd pick.

Topic #25052 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Wow! I'm surprised the C's traded away Perkins.

Something worth noting is that Portland is rumoured to be very active in trade talks with a number of teams and players being linked ot them. Interesting to see how it pans out and how that may impact on Patty.

Reply #309558 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I'll say this so far, Portland and OKC just got awesome trades.

Wallace can play 2-4 for the Blazers if needed and is a great rotation to the 4 if Alridge has to play at the 5.

OKC just needed a decent centre and got that with Perkins; they might actually stand a chance against some of the big teams in the West this playoff series.

Reply #309562 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Shocked! Boston traded their only two fit starting Centres!

Perkins/Robinson for Jeff Green

Erden/Harongody for picks.

Think they are freeing up roster space to go grab another backup big man on the min who has been bought out....

I dont think the Celtics are better after this. After the finals loss to the Lakers they went and got a frontcourt advantage. Now that is gone.

Possibly some small ball with Garnett, Green, Pierce, Allen, Rondo?

Reply #309566 | Report this post

your mumma  
Years ago

Mills has tweeted that 3 team mates are gone

Reply #309570 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Part of the Cats/Blazers trade was also Dante Cunningham, Patty's competition of the backup PG role.

I'm torn on the Crash trade, the Cats traded their first All-Star, and the face of the franchise for Joel Przybilla, Dante Cunningham and two first round. Crash is another concussion away from being out of the league.

I believe Boston picked up Krstic from OKC in the Green deal, so he's now their starting C.

Reply #309572 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Ah yes some extra players there.

Hopefully for the C's he can improve defensively a bit...

Reply #309573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another big African shotblocker for Houston. Phoenix was smart there too.

Reply #309576 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

TR - Dante Cunningham is a 6-9 PF - no competition for Patty

Anon #309576 - Thabeet went to Houston

Reply #309580 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR,

Dante is a big and wasn't Patty's competition. Armon Johnson is Portlands other backup PG.

Reply #309581 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hustle, remember the Celtics have Shaq coming back too and they have Big Baby to rotate into the lineup if KG needs to play Centre for any period.

Reply #309583 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sean Marks is also headed to OKC

Reply #309592 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Memphis were close to sending oj mayo to Indiana Pacers in exchange for power forward Josh McRoberts and a first-round pick. although pacers couldnt get it done.

"Indiana was not able to get it all together," Heisley said in a telephone interview. “People are going to say I have reservations (about the proposed trade). I think from our point of view, we were interested in the trade going forward.

Reply #309593 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Your right Biz, I got muddled up..

Cats should of tried for Oden..

Reply #309597 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Originally I hated this trade for Boston, not only because of my emotional bias towards Perkins but also because it would further weaken Bostons seemingly depleted big man options.

Arguments like Perk is one of the top interior defensive players in the league, that he can defend franchise bigs, he buys into a team system, doesn't have 'all about me mentality' and was on a very good contract which made his worth to Boston very high.

However Perkins was coming towards the end of his contract and had reportedly turned down a four year/ approx 28 million dollar extension recently. I don't think Boston could afford to match what money would be offered to him as it would have significantly limited their options for the future. Perkins has a history of knee/shoulder injuries, he only recently returned yet he is already ruled out (probably precautionary) for at least three games with bruising/swelling to the knee that was operated on. Importantly I think he has reached his ceiling and that the Celtics were not prepared to have him and Big Baby in their future plans.

He will be missed defensively but Boston are something like 33-10 this season when he hasn’t played, and that includes significant time missed by Jermaine O’Neal and Shaq. With Erden, Harongody and Daniels being moved separately we have 3 available roster spots.

Together Kristic and Troy Murphy (I am 99% sure he will sign with Boston) should compensate losing Perk. Then there is also the potential to bring back Sheed or other players who get bought out. They might not be elite defenders by any means but they will be made to buy into the system.

Green potentially fills one of the Celtics biggest weaknesses, a consistent scoring threat off the bench and he should be played more in his natural position of SF.

Perkins paired with Ibaka at OKC could be great defensively; it should make them a better team.

Good trade for both teams overall but definitely an element of risk with Boston considering how well they were going.

Reply #309601 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Atlanta and wizards also traded with bibby going to wizards and hinrich going to atlanta

Reply #309603 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Wow, Perk is gone. Agree with TC, Boston where scared he was going (they offered him the max they could and he said no) so they said goodbye and aimed for the future. Green, Davis and Rondo is a pretty good base for the future but they need to worry about this year not the next 5 with the current roster. Having said that Ainge has earnt the right to make some risky bets the way he has transformed this ball club so here's hoping the luck of the irish stays with them!

Reply #309608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So starting with the Melo trade according to nba.com the trades are:

Denver sent Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter & Shelden Williams to New York for Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Timofey Mozgov, a 1st Rd pick, Two 2nd Rd picks & cash.

Also as part of that deal New York sent Anthony Randolph & Eddy Curry to Minnesota and the Timberwolves sent Corey Brewer to Denver.

Minnesota sent Kosta Koufos to Denver too but not sure what for.

Chicago sent James Johnson to Toronto for a 1st Rd pick.

Utah sent Deron Williams to New Jersey for Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Two 1st Rd picks & cash considerations.

Sacramento sent Carl Landry to New Orleans for Marcus Thornton & cash considerations.

Boston sent Semih Erden & Luke Harangody to Cleveland for a 2nd Rd pick.

Boston sent Kendrick Perkins & Nate Robinson to Oklahoma City for Jeff Green, Nenad Krstic, a 1st Rd pick & cash.

Charlotte sent Gerald Wallace to Portland for Joel Przybilla, Dante Cunningham, Sean Marks and Two 1st Rd picks.

Cleveland sent Mo Williams & Jamario Moon to the LA Clippers for Baron Davis and a 1st Rd pick.

Houston sent Aaron Brooks to Phoenix for Goran Dragic and a 1st Rd pick.

Houston sent Shane Battier & Ishmael Smith to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarre Carroll and a 1st Rd pick.

Boston sent Marquis Daniels & cash considerations to Sacramento for a "future draft pick".

Oh boy.

Reply #309630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I assume the Troy Murphy to Golden State and Nazr Mohammed to Oklahoma City trades didn't go through?

Reply #309631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also I think Atlanta sent Mike Bibby, Jordan Crawford & Maurice Evans to Washington for Kirk Hinrich & Hilton Armstrong.

Reply #309632 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pretty sure the Nazr Mohammed trade went through

Reply #309639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shocked! Boston traded their only two fit starting Centres!"

Nate Robinson a centre? Maybe in a Don Nelson team...

Reply #309642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Celtics had four centers, Perkins, Shaq, JO & Erden. Shaq & JO are both out injured and they just traded Perkins & Erden.

Right now their only centre is Krstic and some Johnson guy they called up from the D-League to fill out their roster for the Denver game today.

Supposedly the Nets/Warriors intend to buy out Troy Murphy (not sure if the trade went through as it's not on the website) and the Celtics are the favourites to sign him but even so they need another centre because JO might not even make it back this season.

Rasheed?

Reply #309644 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Like Rocky Balboa, I was completely blind-sided by the Celtics moves at the deadline. They have been looking good so far, so I thought they would just stand pat and focus on winning a title this year.

Ainge certainly has some balls. If he stood pat and the team fell just short of the title, no-one would blame him for that. But now, if Danny's plan doesn't work out, he is gonna get lynched!

Its a tough one to call and I don't know how I feel about it yet. If the Celtics weren't in contention for a title this season, there's no doubt that this is a good trade. Perk could very well get an offer the Celtics can't match next season and in that sense, Danny has really maximised his trade value for the team by getting Green and Krstic.

Green is a talented player who should be able to spell both KG and Pierce and his size and athleticism will be useful to counter LBJ and Melo. Krstic is a solid big you can rely on.

There's also the cool fact that the Celtics now have back the two players they traded for Ray in the first place - West and Green!

But giving up Perk AND Erden when Shaq has been in and out and JO looks almost done? Very risky. There just has to be another move to come. As someone said above, Troy Murphy has to be a chance if he is indeed bought out.

All indications are that Sheed really is done, so I don't think he will ride into town to save the Celtics. If he has stayed fit, I would prefer him over Murphy though. Murph has been out of sorts since his injury and the trade, so who knows if he can play at the level the Celtics would need.

Przybilla is a guy who I'd like to see in Boston if he is bought out. Would be the perfect fit really. Not sure what the Bobcats plan to do with him yet though.

From an OKC point of view, they finally have their man. From what I have read, this is not the first time OKC have tried to trade for Perk. If they can be patient and wait for him to get back to full fitness next season, they finally have the toughness they needed under the basket. It also allows Ibaka to slide across to the PF slot, where I think they wanted him to play from day one. That is a scary defensive tandem, with Perk corraling guys and keeping them busy so Ibaka can come across and swat shots left and right.

The only real weakness I see with OKC now is their outside shooting. A Perk/ Ibaka frontcourt is not gonna stretch the D and their wings aren't great 3pt shooters (Durant is really good from mid-range but blows hot and cold from beyond the arc and Sefolosha and Harden are the same).

Reply #309655 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As widely anticipated, Troy Murphy's contract has been bought out, paving the way for him to join a host of teams. The Celtics, Heat and even Trail Blazers are all apparently lining up for his services.

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6166159

Reply #309901 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bibby has agreed to a buyout with the Wizards and is now reportedly headed back to the Heat...

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6167769

From the article:

In a stunning move, Bibby, whom the Wizards acquired from Atlanta last week in a trade for Kirk Hinrich, gave up his entire salary for next season. The 32-year-old point guard had one year and $6.2 million left on his deal.

"He sacrificed some money in order to win a championship," said David Falk, Bibby's agent. "Once you're past 10, 11 years in the league, you want to be in a situation where you can win. He's got some attractive options open to him."

Bibby is eager to sign with a title-contending team after clearing waivers, and sources say the Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Miami Heat and Portland Trail Blazers are interested in him.

Reply #309935 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Troy Murphy picks the Celtics over the Heat...

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6170568

Reply #310035 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Looks official today on NBA.com

Murphy to the Celtics, Extension given to Perkins for the Thunder; and Bibby to the Heat.

Big question for the Heat is whether to start or Bench Bibby. Chalmers appears to be filling the role required of him and is more offensively minded than Bibby is nowadays.

Good choice for Murphy to the Celtics; he'd gain much more court time with an aging Celtics team off the bench than behind Bosh on a youthful Heat squad.

Reply #310039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754