Isaac
Years ago

Heal steps down from Boomers assistant role

SHANE HEAL STEPS DOWN FROM BOOMERS ASSISTANT COACHING ROLE

Four time Olympian and former Australian Boomers captain Shane Heal has stepped down from his role as an assistant coach of the Australian Men's Basketball team, the Boomers, citing unavoidable time constraints following the recent expansion of his personal business ventures.

Heal has assisted Boomers head coach Brett Brown since being appointed by Basketball Australia in 2009, which included the Boomers’ 2010 FIBA Men’s World Championship campaign in Turkey.

Heal, whose retail and property development business has doubled in size since accepting the position, has informed Brett Brown and Basketball Australia that he can no longer commit to the time requirements of the role in the lead up to London 2012.

"This was an extremely difficult decision for me but with the growth of my business, and in particular the recent acquisition of the Urban Burger restaurant chain, it is no longer possible for me to continue with the 100 per cent commitment that Brett and the players deserve," Heal said.

Heal paid tribute to the coaching staff and players and believes the Boomers are on the cusp of an exciting new era.

"Brett is doing an outstanding job and the Boomers program is fortunate to have such a respected NBA coach at the helm. I will miss working with Brett and his staff and also with such a committed group of players who are so well led by Boomers’ captain Matty Nielsen."

Australian Boomers head coach Brett Brown expressed disappointment at Heal’s decision to step down from the program, but understands and respects the decision considering the circumstances.

"I have known Shane for some 25 years, some as his coach, and I know he did not make this decision lightly," said Brown. “It would have been made after a lot of thought. Clearly he felt that he could not do the job he knows is required.”

Coach Brown described Shane’s rare ability to connect with the playing group, while remaining a respected leader and authority within the program, adding experience and expertise to the coaching staff.

“His skill package was very unique for us. His significant international career, coupled with his passion for the Boomers made him a big asset to our program. I respect his difficult decision. I will personally miss having him around."

The Basketball Australia High Performance Management department, along with head coach Brett Brown are expected to appoint Heal’s replacement later this week.

Heal has pledged his continued commitment to supporting the development of Australian Basketball and believes there is a lot to look forward to under basketball's new management team.

"I think Australian Basketball is in good hands, and I look forward to supporting our senior and junior programs however I can in the future."

Topic #25092 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I think this is a great move from the Boomers. I would like to see someone with more coaching experience and who has had success at pro level in doing so.

Who do we want to see replace him? Bevo perhaps?

Reply #310090 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

There is a god!

Reply #310102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for stepping down Shane you have done Australian basketball a favour.

Reply #310104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great day for Australian basketball.

Reply #310105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thank god

Reply #310114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie in.

Reply #310115 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Urban Burger? Heaven help us if the Urban Cowboy ever does his burger routine at the Urban Burger!

Reply #310121 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

now that urban burger has doubled in size it can sponsor something nbl related. Maybe the MVP can be the urban burger MVP and get a years supllies of burgers.

Reply #310125 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne's Herald-Sun throws up Adelaide 36ers coach Marty Clarke as a potential Boomer assistant coach.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-tigers-fear-loss-of-momentum-after-two-weeks-off/story-e6frfgbf-1226014945679

Reply #310170 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clarke was involved just prior to this current NBL season but stood down to focus on the 36ers. Cue anon "well that worked" jokes.

Boti:

Brown is expected to announce his replacement this week, Rob Beveridge and Gordie McLeod among candidates for the job.

Reply #310175 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

prayer works

Reply #310214 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Bevo would be a shoe in!
Gordy a chance!

Reply #310230 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

gordie is in. and lc great move by boomers ???? heal quit wow you guys in crow land are not very smart

Reply #310314 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Marty Clark back to boomers

Reply #310352 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754