tyrell
Years ago

Travel or Not

Back with another travelling or not question!

Going in for a right hand lay-up on the right side. Player dribble steps with their left and then lands in a jump stop before finishing-

Travel or not.

The dribble step is step one and the jump stop is step 2 so technically not a travel?

Topic #25093 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

depends what you class to be a dribble step. If the ball hits the gound as your foot hits, then no it's not a travel as your jump stop is your 1, 2 step. If the ball hits before your foot does then yes it is a travel as your jump stop is your 2nd and 3rd step.

Reply #310094 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I agree with anon - could be wrong but I've always believed a jump stop counted as two steps.

Reply #310096 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Yep that makes sense anon, because if the ball hits first then that first step is like your pivoting movement and the next one would then be a travel!

Thanks

Reply #310103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm I always thought the jump stop is one step as long as both feet land at the same time. The rest about the foot landing simultaneously with the dribble I agree with.

Reply #310108 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Yeah, since when is a jump stop considered 2 steps?

Reply #310109 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

i too have always been taught that a jump stop when two feet land at the same time counts as a single count.

Reply #310145 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

FIBA RULES 2010

?? While moving:
? To pass or shoot for a field goal, the player may jump off a pivot foot and
land on one foot or both feet simultaneously. After that, one foot or both
feet may be lifted from the floor but neither foot may be returned to the
floor before the ball is released from the hand(s).

Reply #310216 | Report this post

Years ago

Correct ANON12, that move put food on the table in David Stiff's house for many happy years.

Reply #310264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754