anon
Years ago

No News after 36ers game?

Strange lack of reporting in written on Saturday and Sunday about the Sixers.Has an embargo been placed on reporting certain games.

Topic #25123 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Huh? The Advertiser has the usual write up about Friday's game in the Saturday paper; page 103 in my edition.

Reply #310595 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

It would be good if a Boti can secure an interview with either Clarke, Radford or the GM (Hill?) to get there thoughts on how to stop this slide and what the team are working on for next season.

There hasn't been much said since the away loss to the Coast and the teams performances have been gettig worse and worse.

Reply #310596 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

The Tiser online version has a fair bit too say on Fridays Game. I dont think Boti has to worry about reporting or getting a slot with Clarke. If the Sixers were worried by public opinion then they would release a Youtube video with an interview. Shame they havent cos I got a mountain of questions running thru my mind regarding that loss including the game against the Tigers

Reply #310598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would like to hook marty up to a lie detector and ask him if he thinks ballinger's defence is a problem for the 36ers ..

Reply #310630 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

or if he doesn't want to play DJ for decent minutes (like he didn't do on friday) as he doesn't want to be proven wrong for not playing him the whole season like he should have.

Reply #310634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger looked to be really blowing hard at a few points in the game so I was surprised Johnson wasn't played more to spell him. Got brought in too late in the fourth. Should've had him on Loughton and told to make sure he didn't get a shot up.

Reply #310640 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Friday's game showed two things.

a) The 1st half was arguably some of the best defence the team has played all year.

b) The 2nd half was arguably some of the worst defence the team has played all year.

I don't understand why the the intensity dropped off after half time, but it cost us.

As for Balls, fairly sure I counted about 5 Blocks from him (doubt all we recorded) before I stomped out near the end of the game. His post game has improved slightly but the man can block shots when he needs to.

Reply #310645 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Because blocking shots is all that matters about defence? So he saved 10 points with blocks got let Loughton score 17 on him in the last quarter?

Reply #310655 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Bizzy, Basketball plays the same way as Soccer, you have a full team and several guys to get past in order to score.

If you're playing Zone defence and Balls is a post player, it's not his job to rotate beyond his zone; it's the duty of the player in that area to cover.

If the entire game was played Man to Man D, then you'd be valid in your point. But the Sixers played Zone defence that final quarter and bad rotation cost them.

So yeah, when you're guarding the post, blocks are important. When someone else is supposed to be defending that area and the guy scores, it's their fault.

Reply #310660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you block it out of court you haven't really saved the 2 points.

Reply #310664 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think people should get off of Ballingers back regarding defence. It is a team effort! Look at the Chicago Bulls, no real defensive stoppers in their line up yet they are second in holding teams. They play team defense and thats something the Sixers have done well at times but not consistently enough.

Having said all of that, I think offense is their main area of concern, not defense. We look so stagnant and dumbfounded on offense alot of the time it frustrates the sh!t out of me! Of our starting 5 we only have one known scorer and that's Balls....not hard for opposing teams to defend that! And out of all our squad we dont have 1 player that can create his own shot - thats a problem.

Getting some offensive weapons and some easier scores will only help our defense and thats where I think our focus should lean for next season.

Reply #310675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill and Creek can create their own shot.

Reply #310686 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

In a half court offense Isaac? Rarely, if ever, have I seent that?

Reply #310695 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers play next to no D and are 19-5

Reply #310699 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thats my point mystro.....you can play all the D you want but if you cant get the ball in the basket yourself it isnt going to count for much!

Reply #310702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, yes, create for themselves from a set position.

Reply #310703 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Have to agree with tornado on that one Isaac. Hill can do it sometimes but he isn't successful often enough to count on as our one guy who can create his own shot. Need a real go to wing who can score when pressure is on and we can't get balls a shot. As for creek he is not close to being a go to scorer yet. Needs much better handles and a reliable pull up jump shot.

Reply #310705 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Beantown, you mean like Madgen? That boy can play.

Reply #310714 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hill is creative in the open court and the run and gun style suits him but he can not create for himself once the offense stagnates. He has done it at times like Beantown mentioned but is no where near consistent enough at doing it to put him in that category.

I like Creek but to me he looks like he lacks the confidence in handling the ball to be able to create his own shot? He has the potential to be that guy for us but he certainly isnt that at the moment.

Reply #310726 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

XY trying to decide if youre being sarcastic or not? From past comments I think u like madgen as well, but I think we both know he also is not ready to be the main go to guy when the pressure is on. Maybe in a couple years. For now I think it has to be a sixers priority to find that go to scorer for next season. Tornado is right that our offence falls apart too easily under pressure. For the sake of keeping fans coming thru the door the team at least needs to show they can put points on the board until they can work out how to win!

Reply #310771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754